So this is what happens when an oncoming car does not yield to you. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on So this is what happens when an oncoming car does not yield to you. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Subd for later ill let u know my story...

Subd for later ill let u know my story

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm glad that you're okay; that could have been much worse.

I'd like to comment on dealing with insurance. My experience in that matter was quite poor; once the insurance company had made a decision, there was no reasoning with them. In spite of my requests to settle for the lower cost to repair my vehicle, they still decided to total it (I got more money, but lost future insurability). I consulted an attorney who looked over my insurance contract, and he told me that there was no legal basis for me to make an argument in my favor- my contract didn't stipulate that the company's liability had anything to do with actual repair numbers, rather, they would act based on their appraisers estimates.

With this in mind, you may have an uphill battle.
    David - '05 WRX

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I'm glad that you're okay; that could have been much worse.

I'd like to comment on dealing with insurance. My experience in that matter was quite poor; once the insurance company had made a decision, there was no reasoning with them. In spite of my requests to settle for the lower cost to repair my vehicle, they still decided to total it (I got more money, but lost future insurability). I consulted an attorney who looked over my insurance contract, and he told me that there was no legal basis for me to make an argument in my favor- my contract didn't stipulate that the company's liability had anything to do with actual repair numbers, rather, they would act based on their appraisers estimates.

With this in mind, you may have an uphill battle.
    It varies state to state at which point the damage to the vehicle is considered beyond repairable. Some states say that damage that would cost over 75% the value of the vehicle is a total loss and others consider that point 80%. Once the appraiser determines that initial number, it's not going to get lowered. I don't understand how you lost the ability to be insured after that. Unless you mean you bought the car back but you couldn't insure it, or the accident was your fault and now you couldn't be insured. Keep in mind, insurance laws dictate that the company is required to repair the vehicle back to condition it was in before the time of the accident.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Not to get too far off topic, but I understood that having my car branded a salvage means that subsequent full coverage insurance would be a waste of money (apart from the increased premiums, if I get into an accident with my "salvage" car a total loss payment would be for a salvage value vehicle, probably half off). It is in this regard that I expect that I have lost future insurability.

Drews, based on one of your threads, when your car was totalled it seems that you made the best of the situation. At this point, I think that I can only move forward and hope to do the same.

I was very disappointed by the whole process: the initial cost to repair appraisal was fair and did not total the car, but the shop held the car a month before looking at it, (while my rental coverage expired), and when they finally did look at it, they saw damage to the headlight/front sensor wiring and cracks in the timing belt cover and decided that a complete wiring harness and top end rebuild would be necessary. They filed a supplement for new parts and that pushed the cost to repair above the 75% threshold.

I apologize for thread-jacking. To the O.P. I hope that you can get the result that you want.
    David - '05 WRX

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Not to get too far off topic, but I understood that having my car branded a salvage means that subsequent full coverage insurance would be a waste of money (apart from the increased premiums, if I get into an accident with my "salvage" car a total loss payment would be for a salvage value vehicle, probably half off). It is in this regard that I expect that I have lost future insurability.

Drews, based on one of your threads, when your car was totalled it seems that you made the best of the situation. At this point, I think that I can only move forward and hope to do the same.

I was very disappointed by the whole process: the initial cost to repair appraisal was fair and did not total the car, but the shop held the car a month before looking at it, (while my rental coverage expired), and when they finally did look at it, they saw damage to the headlight/front sensor wiring and cracks in the timing belt cover and decided that a complete wiring harness and top end rebuild would be necessary. They filed a supplement for new parts and that pushed the cost to repair above the 75% threshold.

I apologize for thread-jacking. To the O.P. I hope that you can get the result that you want.
    Believe it or not, my car was not totaled. I really need to make an insurance thread to explain how coverages work. I wouldn't drop my car off to get fix and pick up my rental until I knew that it was going to get fixed. In your case the car is not able to drive so that point is moot. However, you are entitled to your rental, and if the shop is the one that takes longer than your coverage to fix your car, your insurance should be going after them because it's their fault your car took longer than however long your rental coverage is. Was the shop you took it to one of the shops that your insurance suggested?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Final Update: The vehicle was never considered a total loss, even with 19k worth of damage. I chose not to repair the vehicle. I took the repair cash and paid off the car. I was also able to sell it, with a clean title. All in all after all this stuff, I was out about $800 - $1000 total.

I just put in an order for a 2014.

Damn!!!! I'm sorrry about that ... sigh! You can be the best driver in the world but it doesn't avoid accidents because other drivers should simply just not be on the road ... !

Quote Originally Posted by blee5192 View Post
    Damn!!!! I'm sorrry about that ... sigh! You can be the best driver in the world but it doesn't avoid accidents because other drivers should simply just not be on the road ... !
    yup! I see you're in San Mateo, driving on the 101 during rush hour gives me heart palpitations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123