So how good are Subie's in the snow....really? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on So how good are Subie's in the snow....really? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well that quickly I've changed my mind. It sounds like WRX's truly live up to the rep that Subie's have ...

Well that quickly I've changed my mind. It sounds like WRX's truly live up to the rep that Subie's have for being good in the snow. I'm gonna sell the Bronco.

I'm looking at it a few ways. For starters my wife's 02 4 Runner will do everything that my Bronco will do. Honestly it's fantastic in the snow. 2 years ago we were up at our Pocono home for a weekend of skiing and we got hit pretty hard with snow. We got over 2' of snow that weekend and the 4 Runner never skipped a beat. We got from our development to the slopes easily even on unplowed roads. Also, when we bought it new in 02 I made sure it had the tow package so I can use it to tow my boat.

Lastly, my wife is a school teacher. When it snows she never works anyway. If we happen to have a storm that I feel might be a hair too much for my WRX, I'll just drive the 4 Runner to work that day.

I'm gonna sell the Bronco to my buddy and pocket the cash.
    Greg
    2002 WRX wagon bone stock 57,000 original miles
    68 Firebird 428, 4 speed, 12 bolt rear w 3:73 gears
    29 Ford Pickup 350, Tremec 5 speed, 9" rear 3:89 gears

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    But, devil's advocate says: You should ask the same question in a Bronco forum
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

*chuckle* mod money.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    But, devil's advocate says: You should ask the same question in a Bronco forum
    HA HA this is true, but right now at my house we have 4 cars and only 2 drivers. My wife can't drive my 68 Firebird(and I wouldn't ever let her anyway), and she has never really liked driving the Bronco because she thinks it's a tank. So I'll sell it to my buddy and have some extra money for maybe a mod or two to the WRX, or maybe buy a new fishing boat.
    Greg

I Support ClubWRX
    If you let her drive the WRX, she may not want to give it back
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    *hakkapeliitta and they're frickin' AWESOME!!
    Yes, that (my spelling sucks) and yes, they are amazing. I run the hakkapeliitta R (studless snow) and EJ257 runs the hakkapeliitta 7 (studded snow)....really nothing out there beats them for snow and slush traction. both also do fair on ice.
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 07-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX
    Yes, that (my pelling sucks) and yes, they are amazing. I run the hakkapeliitta R (studless snow) and EJ257 runs the hakkapeliitta 7 (studded snow)....really nothing out there beats them for snow and slush traction. both also do fair on ice.
    I love my Nokian tires.

I ran Blizzaks for years, because my driveway has an ice issue. Blizzaks have a special compound which makes them good on ice, but that wears down after maybe two seasons, and then they're nothing to write home about. I feel the premium charged for the Blizzaks is not worth it, since after that initial compound is gone, they're about on par with regular A/S tires.

The Generals are a fantastic buy, for someone looking at a more budget-oriented tire, and rank up there with competitors that cost hundreds more.

If you don't deal with heavy snowfall, but deal with lower temps, a performance winter tire (e.g., Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds) are a great buy. They offer better dry grip than something like the Generals/Nokians, but still provide pretty good snow/ice traction, for when you see that type of weather.

When dealing with snow tires, you need to be honest about your needs and choose accordingly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RySTI;
    Good thing I'm only going to have my STi for 2 winter seasons ((Maybe 3))
    Gonna grab a set of the Blizzaks for sure.
    There are better options out there for the same / less price.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RySTI
    Pls.
    Not sure what you're looking for...

After running 7 sets of Blizzak tires, I would not (and have not) run them again.

UNYSOC

I liked the "leave it at the cabin" idea but....that's some nice mods and snow tires if you sell the fuct on race day.

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    I liked the "leave it at the cabin" idea but....that's some nice mods and snow tires if you sell the fuct on race day.
    I liked the idea of leaving it up at the cabin too but the more I thought about it, it seemed the better move to just sell the Bronco and use the 4 Runner for towing the boat. I told my buddy that I thought the Bronco was worth $3500.00 and even if he offers me $3K I'm OK with that. I can do a lot with $3K. Plus I would like to look into some minor mods for my WRX. It's my daily driver so I don't want to lose reliability but the hot rodder in me always wants to have more power.
    Greg

I've never, ever had a problem with my 03 WRX in snow (with Blizzaks). Not even the year when I was living in Tahoe where we got over 700 inches in a season. There were days where I'd have to dig out the sides of my car just so I could open the drivers door... but I would never bother with digging out the front or rear... just drive right out.

If you are planning to drive through unplowed snow WITHOUT a packed base that is significantly higher than the body line... you could get into trouble. Personally, I haven't had issues driving through unpacked snow higher than the front bumper.

Like many others have said with the clearance difference. That's about the biggest difference. I've only had my WRX in about 2.5 inches of snow. But it didn't skip a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for...

After running 7 sets of Blizzak tires, I would not (and have not) run them again.
    Why is that EJ?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kritzell View Post
    Why is that EJ?
    He said why. Blizzaks use a silica compound in the tread to stick to snow. After several seasons of use, that compound wears off leaving you with basically an all-season tire.

While the silica works great while its there, you can find other cheaper tires with this feature that are equally effective to the Blizzak.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast