Steering wheel hand positions. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Steering wheel hand positions. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I actually go through all these positions through the day. But more often D-bag, and left farmer with elbow on ...

I actually go through all these positions through the day. But more often D-bag, and left farmer with elbow on window sill and my right hand either on my leg or shift knob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    That's what she said.

I steer with my feet.

Belly Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Douchebag style. 24/7, yo!
    LMFAO

10 AM - 2PM is proper.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    That's what she said.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by itiswhatitisnt View Post
    10 AM - 2PM is proper.
    How do you tell am and pm on a radial clock? just busting your balls haha

But in all seriousness, 10 and 2 is the "old way" of proper, it has actually been shown to break your thumbs when a modern airbag deploys. 9 and 3 is the new proper way due to the shape of your hand and how an airbag deploys. Next time you are sitting in your car grab the wheel at 10 and 2 and imagine a balloon inflating between your forearms. It places a stress laterally to your lower thumb joint causing fracture or dislocation and pushes your arms upward and outward potentially throwing your left arm out of a broken windo exposing you to more potential injury. Do the same at 9 and 3, and the stress is still slightly lateral to the joint but more inline with its range of motion reducing the risk of injury and therefore making it easier for you to escape the wreckage with full use of your thumbs. the shape of the air bag will push your hand more in a outward and downward motion in the 9 and 3 position preventing your arm from flying out the window.

I always thought the thumb-breaking issue was more for sudden lurching impact and have the steering wheel stop your thumbs as the rest of the arm/body moves forward. I typically keep my thumbs on the outside of the wheel in roughly the 9&3 positions though.

Edit: having looked at the beginning of the thread: I'm farmer when casually driving, race-car when spirited. "Mom" could also be called "cart-driver" and is something I occasionally do for relaxed driving, one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    Speaking of which, anyone ever see people pulling this move?

I see people using that position to make turns all the time, and it drives me nuts. That's definitely not taught in any driving school and just seems dumb. I tried it once to see why it seems to be so popular and it felt very awkward.

As far as my driving, my left hand is usually at 9-10 sometimes 11-12 and right hand resting near the shifter during cruising. Hands at 9 & 3 for the fun stuff.
    THIS! My girlfriend does this and it drives my absolutely effing insane. When I questioned her about it she had little to say about where she learned it or why she did it and was not particularly receptive to my arguments against it. Just seems so incredibly foolish though, for so many reasons.

EDIT: Should mention, she only swaps to this position when going into certain turns, which I find makes it even more dangerous and there are moments of no hand-steering wheel contact and a turn is where you would want most wheel control!
    Last edited by Zataks; 10-18-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar

haha that looks like the most uncomfortable way to hold a steering wheel yet. And the air bag would provide an automatic facepalm as the driver rear ends the car in front of them while texting.

^^If your thumbs are outside the wheel they are probably the safest.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I typically ghost-ride my Subie. But when I need hands on the wheel for turning and stuff, race-car.
    +1 totally ghost ride it.

unless I'm performing a drive by in which case I will usually resort having my girl hold the wheel for me while I am workin the choppa.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

HHHHHmmmm have to get back on that. I know primarily I'm very heavy on the RC left hand only.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks to GTA V, these days I do most of my driving with one of these:

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    Somewhere between 10 & 2 (fat sections of wheel) and race car driver depending on my mood.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.