Two quick engine oil questions.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Two quick engine oil questions. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 1) I have heard it said that some of us use a zinc (ZPPD) additive as recent EPA changes have ...

I Support ClubWRX

Two quick engine oil questions.

1) I have heard it said that some of us use a zinc (ZPPD) additive as recent EPA changes have lowered the zinc content limit of off the shelf oils. Which do you use, and which would you avoid?

2) So called 'German Castrol'. Today I was at the autoparts store picking up a few things and saw a 5.1qt jug of the Eropean Formula Castrol for a good price. Most stores in this area only carry the 1qt bottles, if they even stock it, which at $9-$11 a pop makes changes expensive. I picked up the jug and checked the label to make sure I was looking at German Castrol, but the back did not say 'Made in Germany' as expected.....it said 'Made in Belgium'. Has anyone heard if there was a reformulation or was this just a change in manufacturing facilities?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I do not use any additives since the chemists at the oil company are already paid to figure formulations out for me.

For the Belgian Castrol, I'm impressed you found it. I suspect you bought 5W-40. The German stuff is 0W-30. I'd use either one, and in fact I'd even top one off with the other and not give it a second thought. However, I am not under warranty and have no idea of either meets the spec for warranty.

Either is a very good oil from the data I've seen. I'd prefer the Belgian variety personally as in my area it has a more useful viscosity range but either will be fine almost anywhere generally inhabited in the continental Americas.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Just a warning, I am assuming the zinc limitations are due to effects on the catalysts in most exhausts. To my understanding, without the catalyst, the more zinc the merrier. Many motorcycle oils follow this mentality.

Again, no first hand knowledge on that one, just passing along what I've read as a discussion point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I do not use any additives since the chemists at the oil company are already paid to figure formulations out for me.

They had figured it out.. then the API came in and said no, you can't use that much ZDDP. So instead of reformulating their oil to maintain the proper balance of anti-wear additives and detergents, most oil manufacturers simply reduced ZDDP to comply and left everything else as it was. The result is a poor performing engine oil with too much detergents. Just look at T6 UOAs before/after the new regulations.

I wouldn't say the more zinc the merrier, too much anti-wear additives with too little detergents leaves deposits and sludge build up. The catalyst is also a concern (for some).

I Support ClubWRX
    One way to side-step the issue is to look at non-API ratings. For example if an oil is ACEA A3, well it's ACEA A3 regardless of whether the amount of Zn has changed or not.

I do worry a bit about catcons as I don't want to be replacing mine but I've run "diesel" oils in mine with lots and lots of cat-poison-additives and so far, so good, the cats work fine still. I suspect it has to do with how much (or little) is consumed by the motor and of that, how much and which additives actually make it to the cats.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Spiros, our 'Thou shouldn't mod' brother, I did not figure you would use any additives

There are many here that love using Rotella T6, and it is from them that I heard a few years back they were required to drop the ZPPD levels. A few of our heavier modded users now add zinc back in to compensate.

Note that T6 is a diesel oil, so no cat in those to worry about, and most of our heavier modded bretheren are catless, so what Brandon stated holds true.

As for the European Castrol, I did not buy any. It was either 5W-30 or 0W-30, don't remember off hand. I did buy Rotella T6 0W-40 though.
    Last edited by DemonWRX; 06-06-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

zax
    Bruce:
    This is where I first learned the existence of BC (Belgian Castrol) Post your used oil analysis (UOA's) here! - NASIOC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The "diesel" oils I've used are M1 turbodiesel truck and Rotella T6. Both are also rated under the API "car" Sx series (so SL, SM, now SN etc.) so they'd generally be cat-friendly. In fact come to think of it it's hard to find a diesel oil that's not cat-friendly and API Sx series; I beieve Delvac, Delvac1, Chevron are all Sx "car" rated as well.

I did not know there is a 0W-40 Rotella T6; I've only seen the 5W-40. I use 0W-40 and 5W-40 interchangeably in my car, shopping based on price and availability alone. I'll keep an eye out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Zax, so basically last week.

A few weeks back I saw GC at Pepboys, then the BC today at Advance
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Spiros, looks like a new product from them, just released 6 months back:

http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/rotella.pdf
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Zax, so basically last week.

A few weeks back I saw GC at Pepboys, then the BC today at Advance
    Yep! I just changed over to GC.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.