Which car(s) did you test drive and wish you would have bought, but didn't?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which car(s) did you test drive and wish you would have bought, but didn't? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Reminiscing in the other thread got me thinking of all the car deals I walked away from that I regret ...

I Support ClubWRX

Which car(s) did you test drive and wish you would have bought, but didn't?

Reminiscing in the other thread got me thinking of all the car deals I walked away from that I regret not doing now.

I regret not buying:

* The 2002 WRB bugeye I test drove in 2001. Carbonish trim, a MOMO steering wheel, and a test drive with an actual Brit.
    * The 2002 GTI 337 that I refused to pay their $1500 mark up on.
    * The 2004 VW R32 I just couldn't bring myself to sign on the dotted line.
    * The 2006 UGM WRX Wagon. Should have bought it without the wife there....
    * The 2008 Subaru STI that I had a deal written up for $28k OTD and 0% for 60 months when the economy was in shambles. Should have told the wife to shut up and make me a sammich. Still kicking myself in the butt.

How bout it?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Tesla Model S I drove at the autoshow. If I had the means, it would be my next car.

Other cars I've test driven but glad I didn't buy:
    *1997 Honda CR-V (blown struts felt like piloting a crab boat on the Bering Sea)
    *2002 WRX 4EAT (shady owner, lousy driving dynamics)
    *2004 VW Passat W8 4-motion (rare "W" 8 cylinder engine, great exhaust note, AWD, and a BMW interior, but sketchy service history, and some electrical bugs kept me away)
    *2006 Saab 9-5 (Saabs are terrible)
    *2011 WRX base model (Nice torque, but horrible excuse for an interior)
    *2012 Toyota Prius (felt like a whale, terrible dash design)
    *2013 Focus ST (Really wanted to like this, but the traction control was too invasive, cabin space was marginal, I'm too fat for the Recaros, and I refuse to spend $30k on a Ford Focus, not matter how great it might look)
    Last edited by Rambo; 04-22-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Only thing that I can think of...was the 2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6spd. I got my 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6spd instead.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Only thing that I can think of...was the 2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6spd. I got my 2003 Jetta GLI VR6 6spd instead.
    Those had a VQ.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Early 1990s Nissan NX2000.
    Golf GTI 1,8L 16V.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've always bought the car I wanted so I really don't have any regrets. My problem is that I've made a couple impulse buys and I'm still paying for that. So, I wish I hadn't done that, and I probably could be driving an STI right now.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

I Support ClubWRX
    I only have one...

07 STI Limited in UGM. I wanted that car more than anything, but I couldn't justify the additional expense (I got my car at cost, which was $4K below book), while still a college student. I made the right decision, financially, but goddamn, I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me
    * The 2008 Subaru STI that I had a deal written up for $28k OTD and 0% for 60 months when the economy was in shambles. Should have told the wife to shut up and make me a sammich. Still kicking myself in the butt.
    Not to rub salt in the wounds, but I know people who sold their STI a year or two later for more than they paid for it...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Not to rub salt in the wounds, but I know people who sold their STI a year or two later for more than they paid for it...
    Oh I have no doubt, but I woulda kept it.

When I was at the dealer and was workin the deal, we got to talking about Forresters, and the salesman said "See those 4 over there, anyone you want $17k OTD." I thought about it, went to work the next day and told my boss who had been eyeballing them for a few years while nursing "free" cars along a weekend at a time at the pick and pull. Mind you while this lady is a Single mom, she's a senior engineer, makes 6 figures and is tighter than a crabs ass. Anyways, I gave her a ration of **** the next day at work about her crappy cars and all the time she had to spend limping her 93 Taurus wagon and 91 Cadillac Eldorado along. She showed up to work on monday with a Forrester and hasn't been to pick and pull in 5 years. Her Forrester still books for more than she paid and it has 70k miles on it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    2001 Mustang GT. Very close to buying it, but got a brand new s10 blazer instead. Probably the main reason I was still alive after college, but damn...would have been fun!

I Support ClubWRX
    2013 Mustang GT
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

2013 ford taurus SHO ecoboost. holy crap, for a gi-normus boat of a family car it almost broke my neck, and i thought i was getting used to turbo pushback! whatta rush! what a sticker price! no thanks, ill pay off my trailblazer, wrx and still put 30k on the house thanks. but still...

anybody drive a cts-v? ive worked on two and been for a drive in one but it was sllllooooowww! super grampa driving a 200mph caddy. i almost went crazy

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I actually regret purchasing my WRX to a degree. It would have been much smarter for me to just sink a bunch of money into the 02 WRX that I had before and keep driving it. I love my car, but I would have been in a much better position financially if I had just been content with what I had. Would have been able to purchase a motorcycle at some point if I had as well. But noooo, had to go spend 24.5k on a brand new WRX. Really a stupid decision, as much as I love my car it does represent a bad decision for me.

I do regret not purchasing the used STI they had on the lot over my car (since I just had to be stupid). But it was modified and I had been burned by that before.

Forester is next in line to be purchased, and I don't see how I could possibly regret that decision at this point in my life.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I regret that I didn't buy a WRX many years ago when I got my RSX, but I also tell myself that it is better that I waited til I could afford a new car and didn't get a used WRX back then.

I do kinda wish I had gone with a GTO rather than the RSX, just to have owned a big V8 RWD car at least once in my life.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

hmm after i crashed my first jeep i looked at xterras and almost bought one but the guy had brought the wrong key out and he thought something was wrong with the car because the key would turn a little but it wouldnt start lol. i liked it but id probably still have it if he brought the correct key.. he called me when i was a few minutes down the road and said he had brought out the wrong key but i didnt feel like turning around. i felt since that happened it wasnt meant to be. #salesmanfail. but im glad that situation happy or i probably wouldnt have my little bugeye and be posting this right now
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    hmm after i crashed my first jeep i looked at a lifted Jeep Comanche and almost bought it but the guy had brought the wrong key out and he thought something was wrong with the car because the key would turn a little but it wouldnt start lol. i liked it but id probably still have it if he brought the correct key.. he called me when i was a few minutes down the road and said he had brought out the wrong key but i didnt feel like turning around. i felt since that happened it wasnt meant to be. #salesmanfail. but im glad that situation happy or i probably wouldnt have my little bugeye and be posting this right now
    Fixored.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast