How do you convince your spouse!? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on How do you convince your spouse!? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Calvinball Serious subterfuge! We have to use any means necessary to get what we want - they ...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Serious subterfuge!
    We have to use any means necessary to get what we want - they have boobs.

Well, when I first got the car, the turbo with the stock tune had a sort of 'on/off' feeling to it. My wife generally gets car sick if the car doesn't ride very well, so I took just about every opportunity to go from off to on (and back again) when she was with me. After a few rides, she kept suggesting we take her car, and when I asked her why, she told me it wasn't comfortable in my car. I told her I will fix it for her immediately.

1 Stage 3 TP tune later, she loves how smooth the motor is.

She also has complained recently about the body-roll... Rambo just gave me the BEST IDEA EVER.

See, after being married for 10 years (together for over 17), I've learned it's all about framing the situation in such a way that you are doing it for her (or the kids) - because you love her (them) so much, or because she suggested it. The key is to keep her oblivious about cars and that sort of stuff, though.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 04-19-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just tell er it's an investment for the long term of safety and well find some minor problem that has some basis of truth and blow it completely out of proportion, but make it sound extremely technical and I'm sure it will fly right over her head and then say, "Now you understand my reason for buying X, y, z?"
    Chances are unless she is a technical enthusiast it will fly over your head and you are able to get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    My wife was actually a huge fan of the swaybars. After installing them, I took her for a drive through some mountain roads, and asked her what she thought. In her words: "I like them, the car doesn't roll through the corners, and it's much more confortable on the windy roads".

I was floored.
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Well, when I first got the car, the turbo with the stock tune had a sort of 'on/off' feeling to it. My wife generally gets car sick if the car doesn't ride very well, so I took just about every opportunity to go from off to on (and back again) when she was with me. After a few rides, she kept suggesting we take her car, and when I asked her why, she told me it wasn't comfortable in my car. I told her I will fix it for her immediately.

1 Stage 3 TP tune later, she loves how smooth the motor is.

She also has complained recently about the body-roll... Rambo just gave me the BEST IDEA EVER.

See, after being married for 10 years (together for over 17), I've learned it's all about framing the situation in such a way that you are doing it for her (or the kids) - because you love her (them) so much, or because she suggested it. The key is to keep her oblivious about cars and that sort of stuff, though.
    These! Mine knows nothing about cars. But she doesn't like when cars are "jerky." Reducing body roll and increasing engine smoothness (and aw shucks, the power increase that goes with that) will actually make her more comfortable in my car.

Unfortunately I know that it also means that a lot of bushings I will probably do without, as she also doesn't like it when a car is "too loud," which is how she described my last car after I put in poly engine mounts.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.