Compressor surge help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Compressor surge help within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello trying to decide what i should do at this point. I just recently installed a tmic on my 2011 ...

I Support ClubWRX

Compressor surge help

Hello trying to decide what i should do at this point. I just recently installed a tmic on my 2011 wrx. Im running a protune at 20lbs boost and since ive put the tmic on i have been hearing a flutter from the car which people relate to compressor surge. im boosting to 20-21 lbs and dont seem to have leaks or anything disconnected. Seems the last part is the stock BPV, should i upgrade this since it seems it would help to control this. Im going to go a full recirc bov not VTA. Any advise would be helpful.
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My buddy had this same problem until he changed his stock bpv to a cobb bpv.

I Support ClubWRX
    im looking into a synapse diverter valve
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Wait, this concerns me, does the 'flutter' occur during full boost? When I'm in full boost I hear what I would describe as, it sounds like something flapping back and forth in the hose due to the passing air. almost like a humming

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Wait, this concerns me, does the 'flutter' occur during full boost? When I'm in full boost I hear what I would describe as, it sounds like something flapping back and forth in the hose due to the passing air. almost like a humming
    Mine isn't while under boost, its once I let of after building boost
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Also mike your flutter under boost do you have an ebcs? They allow you to better hear the internal waste gate
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I haven't looked at a compressor map for the new vf, but you shouldn't be hitting the surge line at those boost levels and VE.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not compressor surge, most likely.

If you have an EBCS, it's probably due to the wastegate opening and closing quickly. You should hear it with an EWG .
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    It's not compressor surge, most likely.

If you have an EBCS, it's probably due to the wastegate opening and closing quickly. You should hear it with an EWG .
    This is a loud flutter once I let off the gas not while I'm building boost, I can hear the ebcs and internal wastegate on mine a little but this is a different sound
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I haven't looked at a compressor map for the new vf, but you shouldn't be hitting the surge line at those boost levels and VE.
    I've checked the lines many times and I don't have any leaks so it seems to be narrowed down to this and the stock bpv causing the problems. But again I'm not too familiar with turbo systems and their problems
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    This is a loud flutter once I let off the gas not while I'm building boost, I can hear the ebcs and internal wastegate on mine a little but this is a different sound
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    I've checked the lines many times and I don't have any leaks so it seems to be narrowed down to this and the stock bpv causing the problems. But again I'm not too familiar with turbo systems and their problems
    If you are hearing this once you let off the gas... You shouldn't be checking lines on the compressor map. I figured it was while you were building boost or what not.

If you are hearing it when you let off the gas, your BPV could be stuck or mounted/piped incorrectly. I would doubt it, however. It's probably just noisier with the new IC.

Normally the stock WRX BPVs leak at higher boost levels, if anything. If you are hitting 20-21 psi, the BPV is most likely not leaking. I really would doubt that the BPV is stuck closed and causing compressor surge when you cut the throttle.

Maybe somebody else has some advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are hearing this once you let off the gas... You shouldn't be checking lines on the compressor map. I figured it was while you were building boost or what not.

If you are hearing it when you let off the gas, your BPV could be stuck or mounted/piped incorrectly. I would doubt it, however. It's probably just noisier with the new IC.

Normally the stock WRX BPVs leak at higher boost levels, if anything. If you are hitting 20-21 psi, the BPV is most likely not leaking. I really would doubt that the BPV is stuck closed and causing compressor surge when you cut the throttle.

I heard it could just not be opening fast enough but again that's why I'm asking for what to check or look at to find the problem. I have a friend with the same intercooler and he never heard any big changes with his as far as sound goes
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX

I heard it could just not be opening fast enough but again that's why I'm asking for what to check or look at to find the problem. I have a friend with the same intercooler and he never heard any big changes with his as far as sound goes
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

This sounds very similar to an issue with the hose going from the IC to Throttle Body. Janky design and pops off under higher than stock boost. Tighten it down and see.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hisdigness View Post
    This sounds very similar to an issue with the hose going from the IC to Throttle Body. Janky design and pops off under higher than stock boost. Tighten it down and see.
    I've had this happen and it stops the car from building boost period. I have swapped over to an avo throttle body hose. The stock one is junk
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast