'13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Quick background: I bought my '13 WRX sedan brand new in October '12 and have driven 3,100 miles on it ...

Quick background: I bought my '13 WRX sedan brand new in October '12 and have driven 3,100 miles on it since then. I followed many owners' recommended break-in period for the 1st 1K miles and have babied my car since the day I bought it. Yesterday my drive to work was uneventful. My drive home was not. It started with a knocking/rattling noise at around 3K RPM's in 3rd gear and then became more consistent across all RPM's and through all gears within minutes. I pulled over, called my dealer and explained what was happening. They recommended I drive the car in (about 12 miles from where I was) and they'd give me a loaner for a day while the inspected the problem. During my 12 mile drive the knocking/rattling got louder. When I dropped the car off I noticed that the back bumper and underside of my spoiler were VERY dirty, like soot. Since I had just washed my car I thought this was weird but didn't really think anything beyond that.

This morning I called to see what they found and was told they were still looking at my car but they promised to get back to me by 3pm. At exactly 3pm they called back and a service team member told me that their tech's were still trying to figure out what happened, but in the meantime they called SOA and have a rep coming to look at my car at some point over the next few days. Here's where things start getting sketchy. I asked what they found in my car to cause them to call SOA and was told that he wasn't sure. When I pressed saying that for them to call SOA there had to be SOMETHING they found and that's when he told me that the dealer's service tech has suggested a complete engine replacement. Apparently, there was little/no oil in my car and a potential problem with a rod. After I caught my breath I asked if they had ever seen something like this before and was told no. I got the sense that he was deliberately being very careful about what he said, which was pretty irritating. He promised to call me once SOA has inspected my car and they determine the course of action moving forward.

Subaru recommends the 1st oil service to take place at 7,500 miles, and I'm not even half-way there yet. I've done nothing but baby my car since I bought it and everything is bone stock, everything. To have little/no oil in my engine would mean either (a) Subaru didn't sell it to with enough oil, (b) the oil burned off or (c) the oil was leaking. (b) would explain the black soot on the back of my car. The knocking noise, from searching on forums like this one, leads me to believe that there was a rod and/or rod bearing issue (I'm no gearhead, so bare with me).

Here's my big problem with all of this. Let's say I get the engine replacement and 2-years from now I'm looking to sell my car. If you were in the market for a lightly used, stock WRX would you buy mine that clearly states on the Carfax that the entire engine was replaced at 3K miles if there were other options that didn't have the same issue? To me, the resale value of my car just TANKED. I'm inclined to call SOA and ask what they are prepared to do, if in fact there guy agrees with the dealer recommendation of replacing my engine.

Anyone have similar issues or any thoughts on this? I'm also thinking about asking to be there when the SOA guy shows up to hear, from the horses mouth, what's going on and what they intend to do about it.

Thanks for reading my rant.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As much as your situation generally sucks, at least they're taking care of you. This is exactly what warranties are for. Even with strict quality control standards, mistakes/issues can happen. I agree that speaking directly the SOA engineer isn't a bad idea, and depending on how long the service takes / how much the warranty costs are, you may be able to use your state's New Car Lemon Law to get a replacement vehicle.

Just try to keep a level head. Chewing out the dealer isn't going to fix the issue, so try to be reasonably patient and work with them to resolve the issue.

Good luck!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I would be very frustrated as well but, as Issac said try to keep calm. The dealer isn't at fault and it sounds like all the proper steps are being taken

To answer your question. No, I wouldn't be too concerned buying a car with a replacement engine that happened under warranty. As long as the work is done properly and documented well, the car would be as good as new. If not better. After all the would be fully replacing the only problem the car had.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor is being replaced under warranty. If there were signs of abuse, trust me, the SOA rep will call you on it (and you'll be paying for a portion of it OOP). Factory defect is sometimes a possibility, which is why a warranty exists. The resale value of your car hasn't tanked, as you are afraid it has. Keep documentation saying that it was a defect, and that it was replaced under warranty; as a buyer (and a savvy one at that), I wouldn't fault the owner, if they could prove that.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Agreed, if a new car has a new engine installed, paperwork all good, engine NOT a rebuild/remanufacture, it should not affect the resale either way. It's not good, but also not bad. You just have to be patient while they take care of the issue. As long as you have a loaner, even if it's not a WRX, you'll be fine and actually save mileage on you own car :-)
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Had you been checking the oil level in the motor regularly?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thats crazy, i hope they resolve your problem dude
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    ^^^This.

Not finding fault with you OP,but the oil level has to be checked regularly according to the manual.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    ^^^This.

Not finding fault with you OP,but the oil level has to be checked regularly according to the manual.
    +1

I religiously check my oil level at least once every two weeks at minimum. I can't imagine running my engine dry. Just the thought of it makes me sad.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    +1

I religiously check my oil level at least once every two weeks at minimum. I can't imagine running my engine dry. Just the thought of it makes me sad.
    That ain't religiously. At least twice a week. And carry a gallon of Delo 400le Synthetic in the trunk. But, agreed poor engine =(

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    That was my question as soon as I finished reading your post. You said how you were not even half way to the oil change interval but mentioned nothing about ever checking your car's oil level! We are not trying to bash you, but it is critical that you regularly check your car's oil level...after this is all taken care of I encourage you to check it often...at least at every gas fill up!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    That ain't religiously. At least twice a week. And carry a gallon of Delo 400le Synthetic in the trunk. But, agreed poor engine =(

Posted from a fone.
    I said at minimum . In reality I probably do check it on average of twice per week. There's a time though where I probably gone two weeks which is a sin for me lol.
    Last edited by KHP; 04-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX

This thread made me go check ALL my fluids. 11 o'clock at night and I couldn't go to bed knowing I hadn't checked lol.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

See how much extra it would cost to put in an sti motor. �� Good luck, hope everything works out.

So your averaging about 500 miles a month. Sounds you do a lot of short trip driving. Doing this is very hard on your oil. With the stock tune and flimsy oil SOA is recommending. I could sort of see how your engine crashed. SOA should take care of you though so just keep calm and wait for their findings.

In This Century, Changing Your Oil Still Matters – Feature – Car and Driver
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.