'13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This is a discussion on '13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If WRXs started coming with things like electronic dip sticks, you can expect to pay BMW prices for it. I ...

If WRXs started coming with things like electronic dip sticks, you can expect to pay BMW prices for it. I think we all agree that no one would find a WRX @ 45K a value. I don't mean to come off crass and this isn't directed to you, just a mechanics musings in general. People need to stop relying on the idiot lights, read the owner's manual and stop thinking cars don't need supervision and maintenance. I make no excuses for the factory sending them low or the techs missing it on the PDI, but I find it even more discouraging that this happens in a community like WRX owners, because I always, for whichever reason, was under the impression that the people who bought these cars were hands on, so much so that they become a bit of an annoyance to the techs with how meticulous they want things done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnedX View Post
    If WRXs started coming with things like electronic dip sticks, you can expect to pay BMW prices for it. I think we all agree that no one would find a WRX @ 45K a value. I don't mean to come off crass and this isn't directed to you, just a mechanics musings in general. People need to stop relying on the idiot lights, read the owner's manual and stop thinking cars don't need supervision and maintenance. I make no excuses for the factory sending them low or the techs missing it on the PDI, but I find it even more discouraging that this happens in a community like WRX owners, because I always, for whichever reason, was under the impression that the people who bought these cars were hands on, so much so that they become a bit of an annoyance to the techs with how meticulous they want things done.
    Seems to be a mix of what you get with new WRX owners. I see on other forums how many new WRX/STI owners are having a difficult time mastering a manual transmission because they have never driven or owned a manual before! Not that that means they are not hands on, but I think there is a growing contingency of individuals who are unfamiliar with cars in general (especially a performance car, no matter how low end on the performance scale that is)...not speaking about the OP, but it seems to be a thread woven throughout many stories.
    While a WRX is a low end car in regards to cost, it is still a higher performance car and in turn requires more diligent maintenance and attention to it. I'll admit it is another level/new level of detail for me but I have a history of being pretty into and diligent with my other previous vehicles.

I bought a brand new 2013 WRX in February. Reading this thread made me go out to my garage and check my oil just now. I have 1,300 miles. To my surprise, my oil level is about 1/4 of an inch ABOVE the full line! What gives? Is that even safe for the engine?

That's nothing. The full mark to the low mark represents only 1 quart of oil, that 1/4 inch won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnedX View Post
    That's nothing. The full mark to the low mark represents only 1 quart of oil, that 1/4 inch won't hurt anything.
    Ok. Just thought it was weird most people we're talking about low oil level on their 13s and mines above the full mark...haha

Quote Originally Posted by itsweird182 View Post
    Ok. Just thought it was weird most people we're talking about low oil level on their 13s and mines above the full mark...haha
    Well it makes a difference when you are checking it and how hard you push down on the dip stick when you put it in. There is a black rubber o-ring on the stick right by the handle...this, when pushed in, can create some pressure since it seals so well and it can push oil up onto the dip stick (giving you a false sense of how much oil is actually in the engine). A lot of people actually remove this o-ring when checking the oil to eliminate this problem. I don't personally remove the o-ring but I try and push real slow towards the end to minimize (or hopefully eliminate) the pressure problem to get a more accurate reading. And as for when to check, people have various opinions but, like I think someone mentioned before, about 4-5 minutes after turning off is about right...about how long it takes to fill up the gas tank. Think that is what the manual recommends but I'd have to check.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by garzdos View Post
    I think there is a growing contingency of individuals who are unfamiliar with cars in general (especially a performance car, no matter how low end on the performance scale that is)
    Amen to that. I had a 17 year old boy ask me what a turbo was. I about lost it right there.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    Amen to that. I had a 17 year old boy ask me what a turbo was. I about lost it right there.
    Not everyone is as into cars as the people on this site. I don't see why this would surprise you. The general population probably knows very little about cars, their components and how they all work together. As car guys, we generally surround ourselves with other enthusiasts. But it shouldn't be surprising to you that the majority of people are afraid to pop the hood because it's intimidating. I know people who don't even know how to check their own oil or change a tire. Things we think are basic knowledge, may not be to other people.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Seems to be a mix of what you get with new WRX owners. I see on other forums how many new WRX/STI owners are having a difficult time mastering a manual transmission because they have never driven or owned a manual before! Not that that means they are not hands on, but I think there is a growing contingency of individuals who are unfamiliar with cars in general
    This is a lot of truth. Since my tenure here began in 2006...it seemed back then that most buyers knew something about cars. I did...Now it's to the point to where every other person on this forum starts a new welcome thread saying "I just bought 20XX WRX! I don't know anything about cars but...What mods do I put on it? What needs to be taken care of? " and so on. It's actually quite fascinating to me.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Not everyone is as into cars as the people on this site. I don't see why this would surprise you. The general population probably knows very little about cars, their components and how they all work together. As car guys, we generally surround ourselves with other enthusiasts. But it shouldn't be surprising to you that the majority of people are afraid to pop the hood because it's intimidating. I know people who don't even know how to check their own oil or change a tire. Things we think are basic knowledge, may not be to other people.
    So true. I talk to co-workers abour cars, and facets of cars that I consider to be pretty elementary, and they have no idea what I'm talking about. Also, sometimes they say things about cars with great certainty that make absolutely no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    This is a lot of truth. Since my tenure here began in 2006...it seemed back then that most buyers knew something about cars. I did...Now it's to the point to where every other person on this forum starts a new welcome thread saying "I just bought 20XX WRX! I don't know anything about cars but...What mods do I put on it? What needs to be taken care of? " and so on. It's actually quite fascinating to me.
    I think this has a lot to do with time. The early model years of the wrx are getting into price ranges now that bring all sorts of different demographics into the mix.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Yep, my wife has no idea how to install a spare tire, and probably isn't strong enough to break the lugs free anyway. At least she can properly jump a car (she knows to clamp the ground on the dead car to the frame, not the battery terminal). Most people I know consider cars a means to an end: purely appliances. They'd just as soon take it to the dealer to service. I'm one of the few people I know that even changes my own oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    I think this has a lot to do with time. The early model years of the wrx are getting into price ranges now that bring all sorts of different demographics into the mix.
    I'd argue the opposite. Earlier generations of the WRX were very clearly targeted toward the enthusiast market. When Subaru tried to introduce more widespread market appeal to the WRX in 2008, they alienated many ethusiasts, but the huge upswing in regular consumers purchasing the WRX has paid dividends. People who are not car enthusiasts by any stretch of the imagination are buying WRXs these days, which is fine by me, but also introduces many more newcomers to the WRX fold.

This strategy has paid off big time for Subaru. They were one of the only manufacturers to have sales growth every year of the recession, while so many other makes floundered or died out. They sold 4519 WRX/STIs in Q1 2013, compared to 2829 in Q1 2012. That's nearly a 60% sales increase!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Fascinating...and scary! It's a free country and people can buy what they want, but I can tell you that I would never buy a used WRX at this point...too much of a risk of the thing being mistreated due to ignorance. I don't mean that in an insulting way, but like many of us have noticed, many owners these days really don't know how to properly drive and maintain their cars...and many just want to mod them to oblivion...just because.

Quote Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
    we all live and learn, i guess. part of dealer prep is to make sure that all the fluid levels are correct before delivery to the customer. here is s3aturnr's first rule of dealerships; NEVER trust that they'll do what they're supposed to do. EVER.

i'm sure they looked at me funny when i popped the hood right in the dealer lot and checked the oil level before i rolled-out, but i've actually heard of this before. a friend of a friend bought an STI a few years back and burned up the motor because there was no oil in it. his argument was the same as yours; why should i have to check the oil in a brand new car?! you're right, you shouldn't have to.

if you never expect someone to do their job right, they will never let you down...

s3aturnr
    +1

Like the saying... " If you want it done right, do it yourself "

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Fascinating...and scary! It's a free country and people can buy what they want, but I can tell you that I would never buy a used WRX at this point...too much of a risk of the thing being mistreated due to ignorance. I don't mean that in an insulting way, but like many of us have noticed, many owners these days really don't know how to properly drive and maintain their cars...and many just want to mod them to oblivion...just because.
    What makes buying a used WRX any different than buying any used car? Nothing. If you do your research you can find them. I know of an 02 with 137k for sale that's one owner, bone stock and gorgeous. You just gotta be patient.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567