'13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by S3aturnR i'm confused. you "babied" your car, but never checked the oil level in almost 6 months? ...

Quote Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
    i'm confused. you "babied" your car, but never checked the oil level in almost 6 months?

s3aturnr
    I guess shame on me for assuming that a brand new car that wasn't even half-way to the manufacturer recommended 1st oil service would crap out?!?! You can be sure that I'll be checking it more frequently moving forward with my new ride based on what I've learned from this thread and all the responses suggesting frequent oil checking. Admittedly, it's still sort of baffling that there is such an issue with our cars going through oil faster than a drunk goes through a six-pack. And just to be clear...the only reason my car had no oil in it when I got to the dealer is because it all spewed out when the bearing went bad. They confirmed that it was not an issue of having run the oil down and then that causing the damage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    but oil would still be hawt and not all settled..but a better reading than nothing..
    If you wait about 5 minutes (roughly the time it takes to fill up from emppty to full) and then check your fluids, I bet it would be fairly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    That's a good practice...I think John Muir recommended that for the old Beetles in his Idiot guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    I check everytime I fill up. Gives me something to do.
    I believe it is in the owners manual as a good practice.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I guess shame on me for assuming that a brand new car that wasn't even half-way to the manufacturer recommended 1st oil service would crap out?!?! You can be sure that I'll be checking it more frequently moving forward with my new ride based on what I've learned from this thread and all the responses suggesting frequent oil checking. Admittedly, it's still sort of baffling that there is such an issue with our cars going through oil faster than a drunk goes through a six-pack. And just to be clear...the only reason my car had no oil in it when I got to the dealer is because it all spewed out when the bearing went bad. They confirmed that it was not an issue of having run the oil down and then that causing the damage.
    we all live and learn, i guess. part of dealer prep is to make sure that all the fluid levels are correct before delivery to the customer. here is s3aturnr's first rule of dealerships; NEVER trust that they'll do what they're supposed to do. EVER.

i'm sure they looked at me funny when i popped the hood right in the dealer lot and checked the oil level before i rolled-out, but i've actually heard of this before. a friend of a friend bought an STI a few years back and burned up the motor because there was no oil in it. his argument was the same as yours; why should i have to check the oil in a brand new car?! you're right, you shouldn't have to.

if you never expect someone to do their job right, they will never let you down...

s3aturnr
    the 3 is silent...

Quote Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
    we all live and learn, i guess. part of dealer prep is to make sure that all the fluid levels are correct before delivery to the customer. here is s3aturnr's first rule of dealerships; NEVER trust that they'll do what they're supposed to do. EVER.

i'm sure they looked at me funny when i popped the hood right in the dealer lot and checked the oil level before i rolled-out, but i've actually heard of this before. a friend of a friend bought an STI a few years back and burned up the motor because there was no oil in it. his argument was the same as yours; why should i have to check the oil in a brand new car?! you're right, you shouldn't have to.

if you never expect someone to do their job right, they will never let you down...

s3aturnr
    I worked as a porter as a BMW dealership for 2+ years, and can say with certainty that this is sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Admittedly, it's still sort of baffling that there is such an issue with our cars going through oil faster than a drunk goes through a six-pack.
    Whoa whoa whoa...you trying to give me a bad name!?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Before my '12 Hatch I have always owned Hondas and Toyotas...man, those engines are amazing. I literally never checked my oil...not because I was irresponsible, but because they just never lost oil! Our Sienna finally started losing some oil but I knew initially by a few drops on the garage floor...then I started checking and adding as necessary until it was repaired.
    I must say that after all I have read I am super paranoid about my WRX eating oil and my car dying...not sure I would have purchased if I knew this was such a "delicate" car!

Quote Originally Posted by garzdos View Post
    Before my '12 Hatch I have always owned Hondas and Toyotas...man, those engines are amazing. I literally never checked my oil...not because I was irresponsible, but because they just never lost oil! Our Sienna finally started losing some oil but I knew initially by a few drops on the garage floor...then I started checking and adding as necessary until it was repaired.
    I must say that after all I have read I am super paranoid about my WRX eating oil and my car dying...not sure I would have purchased if I knew this was such a "delicate" car!
    How much oil do you guys keep in your cars?

I keep a quart in my Spec V but it's never had any problem so thankfully it remains there until I use it in my next oil change.

So, I am a certified Subaru technician, and wanted to kind of chime in here.

Subaru engines seem to burn through more oil during the initial break in period than other makes. Though all new engines will consume some oil, and that is why you should always check your oil on a new car, especially on a new car. It's pretty much a rule in engine building.

I can tell you, that recently, we received a whole bunch of cars that were low on oil from factory, because unlike some people's assertions, many of us techs take our jobs seriously and do check the fluids during the PDI. At my dealership we caught this and topped them all off. During a recent training, I asked if other techs at other dealerships had observed this, and they in fact did and further probing lead me to hear, from a very reliable source in Subaru, that one of the machines responsible for putting oil in the engines at factory was broken or malfunctioning in some way that caused this issue.

As for the installation of a new engine bringing down the value of a car, that is never going to happen. An engine is not like a body component, cutting out and welding in a new quarter jeopardizes the integrity of the body, because the welds may or may not be adequate, but a new engine is a bolt in affair. To say that a new engine would reduce the value of the car is basically to say that a new control arm being bolted in would. Plus, more things than not, body and mechanical wise, never even manage to find their way on the Carfax. Carfax is like an industry joke, the "clean Carfax" cars we have sometimes taken in trade and done a UCI on show very clearly body repair evidence and Carfax shows nothing. There is no requirement to report anything to Carfax, and most of Carfax's information is based on insurance company records, and if something doesn't go through insurance, such as an engine replacement, it won't even be listed.

As for what they are doing with your WRX, the engine is going to Japan where the engineers will over-analyze it, make some sort of determination that SOA and the dealer will never hear of and move on. The new engine went into the WRX and it will be sold at the dealership as a very low mile used car, and SOA will pay the dealership the difference on the loss.

The most important thing to take away from all this: Always check your oil during the break-in period and before the first oil change, oil consumption will be higher at this time, and never assume anything. Subaru is a good company, but no company is perfect. The things I can tell you would make you squirm a little more, but overall engine failures due to non-abuse on WRX/STIs are very low and very uncommon. Heck, knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen did not stop me from getting a WRX for myself.

Congrats on the ending saga! Got my oil changed last week and very happy!
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnedX View Post
    So, I am a certified Subaru technician, and wanted to kind of chime in here.

Subaru engines seem to burn through more oil during the initial break in period than other makes. Though all new engines will consume some oil, and that is why you should always check your oil on a new car, especially on a new car. It's pretty much a rule in engine building.

I can tell you, that recently, we received a whole bunch of cars that were low on oil from factory, because unlike some people's assertions, many of us techs take our jobs seriously and do check the fluids during the PDI. At my dealership we caught this and topped them all off. During a recent training, I asked if other techs at other dealerships had observed this, and they in fact did and further probing lead me to hear, from a very reliable source in Subaru, that one of the machines responsible for putting oil in the engines at factory was broken or malfunctioning in some way that caused this issue.

As for the installation of a new engine bringing down the value of a car, that is never going to happen. An engine is not like a body component, cutting out and welding in a new quarter jeopardizes the integrity of the body, because the welds may or may not be adequate, but a new engine is a bolt in affair. To say that a new engine would reduce the value of the car is basically to say that a new control arm being bolted in would. Plus, more things than not, body and mechanical wise, never even manage to find their way on the Carfax. Carfax is like an industry joke, the "clean Carfax" cars we have sometimes taken in trade and done a UCI on show very clearly body repair evidence and Carfax shows nothing. There is no requirement to report anything to Carfax, and most of Carfax's information is based on insurance company records, and if something doesn't go through insurance, such as an engine replacement, it won't even be listed.

As for what they are doing with your WRX, the engine is going to Japan where the engineers will over-analyze it, make some sort of determination that SOA and the dealer will never hear of and move on. The new engine went into the WRX and it will be sold at the dealership as a very low mile used car, and SOA will pay the dealership the difference on the loss.

The most important thing to take away from all this: Always check your oil during the break-in period and before the first oil change, oil consumption will be higher at this time, and never assume anything. Subaru is a good company, but no company is perfect. The things I can tell you would make you squirm a little more, but overall engine failures due to non-abuse on WRX/STIs are very low and very uncommon. Heck, knowing what I know and seeing what I have seen did not stop me from getting a WRX for myself.
    Very good post! Thank you for the information. And to be honest with you, I was very impressed with the grammar and sentence structure as well
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Very good post! Thank you for the information. And to be honest with you, I was very impressed with the grammar and sentence structure as well
    +1
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's nice to hear from the other side of this, and, like everyone has said, from someone who is able to express themselves clearly.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

It's so hard to believe during pre inspection delivery, checking fluids like 'oil' are missed somstimes. Thats no excuse, not to make excuses either for those who dont regularly check oils during break-in period. But I do appreciate the honesty and reasoning.
    2012 WRX PPB sedan
    Foglights installed, Arm-rest extension installed. Upgrades: Eiback F/R sway bar, Kartboy endlinks F/R, Cusco lower chassis brace, COBB AP stage 1 map.

Actually, the factory required PDI checklist (and yes there are techs who don't care enough to actually do it and just want to beat time) does include checking fluids, both before and after the test drive. I will grab the checklist tomorrow and post it here so people can know what a tech is SUPPOSE to do when he gets your car in for PDI.

There is no excuse for not checking the oil on the PDI, you have to be in the engine bay no matter what to remove the test fuse and top off the washer fluid, it takes a whole 10 seconds to pull the dip stick before closing the hood. There is also no excuse for Subaru to not notify us of this issue, and not assume every tech cares enough about quality to check anyway. Also, Subaru should pay the full 1.0 to 1.2 hours that other manufacturers pay for PDIs and not short change us at 0.6, that may get a few extra techs to do it.

Dropped off some wheels and tires at my Subaru dealership today for tire mounting and balance. When the service advisor and I were driving the car back to the service bays he said, "Make sure your check your oil". One of our mechanics has a new WRX in the shop right now getting a complete engine rebuild. I said, "Yeah, been reading about this on the forum". When we get back to the lift where the tire machine is a mechanic said to me, "When did you check your oil level last?". Said I just had it changed here a couple weeks ago, and he replied then good you should be fine. Turns out that was the mechanic who is now doing the engine rebuild and he is not at all happy about do it. Warning every new WRX owner he can tell to check your oil every couple 1000 miles to be safe and don't wait until 3500 or later.

My question, don't we have an oil warning light that should come on before the damage is done? From my looking around at posts, when the oil light does come on it's usually too late and the damage is done. Just doesn't make sense to me why it would work that way; better off not having one so you have to open the hood and check it more often. Both my BMW car and motorcycle have an electronic dip stick that tells you if your oil level is good or low. Maybe the next WRX needs this given how the turbos must be drinking oil before the schedule change.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast