'13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Thanks to everyone for the responses. SOA is on the way to inspect my engine and in the meantime I ...

Thanks to everyone for the responses. SOA is on the way to inspect my engine and in the meantime I have a loaner from the dealer. Bottom line is that the dealer is doing the right thing by me and is most concerned about my satisfaction and overall experience, going so far as to suggest that if I don't want an engine replacement they would entertain getting me into a new car. I don't know the details behind that but the fact that my dealer is the 2nd largest Subaru dealer in the country gives them some weight when dealing with SOA (or so I was told). I felt MUCH better when I left the dealer last night compared to when I spoke with them on the phone yesterday.

I'm sort of shocked to hear all this sentiment about checking oil levels sometimes as frequently as every week. In my mind, a brand new car shouldn't have those types of problems...ever. I drive about 20 miles roundtrip each day to my office, and while it is local driving I always allow my car to warm up (even if I'm running late). If this really is such a problem then I don't understand why Subaru doesn't provide a low oil level or low oil pressure gauge.

In my case, I think perhaps the oil only started leaking/burning (black soot on my rear bumper) after something was compromised in the engine. If I get back into either my car or another WRX I guess I'll have to make a point to check oil level more regularly just to be safe, but it still seems pretty bizarre to me.

If I wind up with an engine replacement I think I can live with that, so long as the resale value of my car truly hasn't been affected (responses here and the dealer said the value wouldn't be affected). If they go above and beyond and I have the option to get into a new car I'd still really like to have a WRX despite all of this crap. But my ideas of getting a Cobb AP just went right out the window. I'm not sure this would have all gone down the way it has had I tuned the car and given the dealer and/or SOA reason to believe that I was in any way responsible for what happened. Bone stock is going to have to be okay for a long time.

I'll post an update with how this gets resolved so that anyone else that experiences something similar can learn from it. Thanks again for all the support as I'm sure you can all imagine how I felt when this happened. Rock on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Now I'm curious... I wonder if the OP still had the factory Toyo Roki oil filter? They just had a massive recall on the Honeywell OE blue oil filters. The recall mentioned that there's possibility for gasket failure that can cause engine compartment fire and/or engine damage due to oil loss.

PSA: Subaru blue OEM oil filters recalled due to leaking gaskets - NASIOC

I had one of the recalled filters installed just for a day after I did my 30,000 mile self service last weekend. I immediately removed it the following day and installed a PureONE filter for this interval.
    I have whatever it came with from the factory/dealer. I haven't changed anything, including the oil or oil filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    After my 7 month experience going back and forth with Subaru (some of you may remember). I check my engine oil, transmission oil every two day's (religiously) and on long trips usually every 2 fill ups. You get no warning when these cars run low/out of oil until it's too late and you're on the side of a busy interstate. So far I've been 10k miles since I replaced my motor/turbo and no issues. Just change my oil every 3-4k and add gas.
    I'm sorry that it sounds like you had a similarly bad experience. You mention a replaced motor AND turbo. Is the turbo something that I should expect to need replacing as well, if they're replacing the engine? Thanks!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    In my case, I think perhaps the oil only started leaking/burning (black soot on my rear bumper) after something was compromised in the engine. If I get back into either my car or another WRX I guess I'll have to make a point to check oil level more regularly just to be safe, but it still seems pretty bizarre to me.
    Making a good habit of checking your oil regularly is a good thing especially for higher performance engines. Our Forced Induction engines can consume oil at a faster rate compared to Naturally Aspirated engines. It's not a bizarre thing at all. They consider (If I remember correctly) up to 1Qt/1,000 miles of oil consumption normal, but this all depends on the engine itself. My engine in particular only burns about .25-.5Qt of oil in 7,500 mile cycle that I run at.

Hope they get you back on the road ASAP. Good luck!
    Last edited by KHP; 04-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I'm sorry that it sounds like you had a similarly bad experience. You mention a replaced motor AND turbo. Is the turbo something that I should expect to need replacing as well, if they're replacing the engine? Thanks!
    My gut tells me if the motor is what is bad, that's what your getting. Everything else attached to it will be re-used, including the turbo.
    '14 SWP STI

The re-use EVERYTHING. I blew my motor at 6k miles blew a valve stopper through the cylinder and to be honest i had it at the shop i work at about 2 months ago, (im now at 39k miles) and my oil pan was leaking, so I took it off to reseal it, and sure enough, the valve stopper chunks where still stuck on the sides of the oil pan, they didn't even clean that out. Thank god the engine is running without any problems with going about 32k miles with those chunks in the oil, I immediately had a more experience tech check it out for any problems after finding those pieces. But I have to say Subaru did come up in the clutch, I had a new motor, front sway bar, clutch, and tranny within 6 days, I believe. It was sort of long ago and i was childish so I dont remember exactly how long it was gone for, but I can tell you looking back that blowing the motor and ruining a tranny and clutch, and snapping the front sway was absolutely due to my driving, I had 4 kids in the car whipping down lavalette and ocean beach at 2 am.... Damn what an IDIOT, I wish i never ever did that. But, it is kinda nice to have a car wit 39k miles and know that the motor only has 33 haha, but then again, i was a total idiot and am so ashamed....considering backspacing this to avoid looking like an idiot teenage punk, but I hope someone will read this and learn from my mistake.

/rant

^^ you have very...patient, parents lol. hope you learned your lesson.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Now I'm curious... I wonder if the OP still had the factory Toyo Roki oil filter? They just had a massive recall on the Honeywell OE blue oil filters. The recall mentioned that there's possibility for gasket failure that can cause engine compartment fire and/or engine damage due to oil loss.

PSA: Subaru blue OEM oil filters recalled due to leaking gaskets - NASIOC

I had one of the recalled filters installed just for a day after I did my 30,000 mile self service last weekend. I immediately removed it the following day and installed a PureONE filter for this interval.
    Good point! I had completely forgotten about that recall. OP just for S&Gs you should ask the dealer if they checked the oil filter recall.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Not sure right off, but I don't think there is a light for low oil level. Only low oil pressure, and maybe not even that, it may be incorporated with the CEL. Once the CEL (or "low oil press) lights up the engine is a goner, too late too little too short... Done like turkey. I check maybe once a month 2 month, after initially checking every few days, then weeks. This to get a feel of how oil consumption is, it turned out to be low enough to go from oil change to next without losing any more than maybe a 1/5th of the space between "full" and "add" (more like 1/10th). I think this is a very isolated bad, the engines really don't go bad that fast unless something was wrong all along. I wouldn't hold it against Subaru, as long as they take care of it.
    There is only a low oil PRESSURE light and it comes on when there is no longer oil pressure lol.

Depends on if it ran out of oil. When I replaced my motor the turbo had a lot more friction than I felt was safe, and I had a little extra money at the time and that gave me the excuse to get my blouch 440xt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    ...I think John Muir recommended that for the old Beetles in his Idiot guide.
    I still have an idiots guide, I find it a very zen shop manual. Too bad no one has created one for subarus.

Also, maybe I should start checking mine more than once a month. Every fill up would be good. I still haven't had to add any oil between my 5000 mile oil changes and the car is at 40,000 miles.
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stawgn10 View Post
    I still have an idiots guide, I find it a very zen shop manual. Too bad no one has created one for subarus.
    I loved that book. It got me through a number of years of VW ownership. I wish I could find my original...it's covered in grease, from my teenaged years.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

If you can get into a new car, do it! Engine failure could be a sign of other issues to follow with the car. Even if you have to spend more money on new registration fees I would take the new car option.

There are actually folks out there that check their oil every fill-up or even a few times a month on these modern day marvels.

I have a 1990 Volvo wagon that I use as a work transporter/winter beater. It has almost 300,000 miles on the clock and I never check it between oil changes (4 - 5k miles). I've seen car motors idle for hours with the drain plug pulled in the oil pan .... just to see how long it would take to blow. Definately a factory defect (valve spring/valve guide), nothing the OP did.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPS View Post
    I have a 1990 Volvo wagon that I use as a work transporter/winter beater. It has almost 300,000 miles on the clock and I never check it between oil changes (4 - 5k miles).
    I treat my '98 Ranger that way. I also go too long on its changes. I probably shouldn't...I'm psychologically treating it as if it's my old 4Runner, and well, it's just not.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast