'13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on '13 WRX needs engine replacement = I'm not happy within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by EJ257 The motor is being replaced under warranty. If there were signs of abuse, trust me, the ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The motor is being replaced under warranty. If there were signs of abuse, trust me, the SOA rep will call you on it (and you'll be paying for a portion of it OOP). Factory defect is sometimes a possibility, which is why a warranty exists. The resale value of your car hasn't tanked, as you are afraid it has. Keep documentation saying that it was a defect, and that it was replaced under warranty; as a buyer (and a savvy one at that), I wouldn't fault the owner, if they could prove that.
    THIS^^^^

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After my 7 month experience going back and forth with Subaru (some of you may remember). I check my engine oil, transmission oil every two day's (religiously) and on long trips usually every 2 fill ups. You get no warning when these cars run low/out of oil until it's too late and you're on the side of a busy interstate. So far I've been 10k miles since I replaced my motor/turbo and no issues. Just change my oil every 3-4k and add gas.

good luck with everything! :/
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    my guess would be that somewhere shortly before the engine knocking, there was an oil leak. perhaps the filter broke off or broke loose. It's very strange. And no offense to a previous poster, but making short trips should never cause a problem like this. We all know short trips and cold starts are harder on the car, but let's not forget this is a quality machine built to standards. I don't find it understandable at all that using a car for in-town business can cause the complete destruction of an engine. Good Luck to the OP. Gonna suck for a few weeks. I wonder how long it will take to get an engine shipped over and installed.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, some of you guys make me feel slack. Checking the oil twice a week? I do well to check it once a month.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Wow, some of you guys make me feel slack. Checking the oil twice a week? I do well to check it once a month.
    I had 2,950 on my car when I did my first oil change and went to synthetic. Never bothered to check it once in the almost 3 months I've owned the car! Though I'm lazy, I would have expected an idiot light to come on if oil level gets too low. Subaru would be replacing engines left and right if they really ate as much oil as everyone says with no idiot light to warn you.

I feel your case is very isolated and thank god you did not get an accessport!
    '14 SWP STI

I check everytime I fill up. Gives me something to do.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    That's a good practice...I think John Muir recommended that for the old Beetles in his Idiot guide.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    The idiot light is just that. An idiot light. It comes on when there is a catastrophic loss of oil. By that time its already too late.

Don't you do something with your hands all the time?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The idiot light is just that. An idiot light. It comes on when there is a catastrophic loss of oil. By that time its already too late.

Don't you do something with your hands all the time?
    I can fap and check my oil at the same time. Give me an award.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

but oil would still be hawt and not all settled..but a better reading than nothing..
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Not sure right off, but I don't think there is a light for low oil level. Only low oil pressure, and maybe not even that, it may be incorporated with the CEL. Once the CEL (or "low oil press) lights up the engine is a goner, too late too little too short... Done like turkey. I check maybe once a month 2 month, after initially checking every few days, then weeks. This to get a feel of how oil consumption is, it turned out to be low enough to go from oil change to next without losing any more than maybe a 1/5th of the space between "full" and "add" (more like 1/10th). I think this is a very isolated bad, the engines really don't go bad that fast unless something was wrong all along. I wouldn't hold it against Subaru, as long as they take care of it.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    but oil would still be hawt and not all settled..but a better reading than nothing..
    While I agree, it's still better than not doing it at all. I'll usually check it cold every few weeks. Never been low.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    i check it once a month on average, or twice between changes.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

KHP
    Now I'm curious... I wonder if the OP still had the factory Toyo Roki oil filter? They just had a massive recall on the Honeywell OE blue oil filters. The recall mentioned that there's possibility for gasket failure that can cause engine compartment fire and/or engine damage due to oil loss.

PSA: Subaru blue OEM oil filters recalled due to leaking gaskets - NASIOC

I had one of the recalled filters installed just for a day after I did my 30,000 mile self service last weekend. I immediately removed it the following day and installed a PureONE filter for this interval.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.