Clunk from the rear of the car

This is a discussion on Clunk from the rear of the car within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've got a 2013 5-door hatch, all stock. When I leave my driveway in the morning, I back out of ...

Clunk from the rear of the car

I've got a 2013 5-door hatch, all stock.

When I leave my driveway in the morning, I back out of my space and turn hard left. When I start going forward, after rolling a few feet, I hear a clunk from the rear of the car.

I'm assuming that maybe the rear diff "unlocks" when you back up and turn sharply, and then "locks" back up after rolling forward.

"locks" may not be the most correct word, but hope it gets the point across.

I'm not overly concerned, just wondering if it's a normal thing that others are aware of as well.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I believe what you are hearing is the ABS self testing.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

The differentials are very chattery. Under full lock turning, you're gonna hear some clunking going around, especially slowly. This is due to the smaller turning radius of the inside wheels compared to the outside wheels, so obviously there is gonna be minor "strain" on diffs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The differentials are very chattery. Under full lock turning, you're gonna hear some clunking going around, especially slowly. This is due to the smaller turning radius of the inside wheels compared to the outside wheels, so obviously there is gonna be minor "strain" on diffs.
    Thats sort of what I figured, just that I don't hear any noise while turning....only after turning while backing up, then I hear the noise after have started going forward.

It's not a harsh clunk, just noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Thats sort of what I figured, just that I don't hear any noise while turning....only after turning while backing up, then I hear the noise after have started going forward.

It's not a harsh clunk, just noticable.
    Its the ABS system
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I hear the exact same noise coming from my 2013 wrx 5 door hatch. Right after putting it into first gear and rolling forward a little bit the clunking sound can be heard. It only happens when I first start driving the car after warming it up.

This happens to my '09 sedan also

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Its the ABS system
    Explain.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Explain.
    I know on the newer cars when you first start them up the ABS system performs a self check. The clunk you hear is the ABS system. You only hear it after the car has been sitting. I guarantee you thats what OP is hearing.
    Last edited by maus; 04-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I know on the newer cars when you first start them up the ABS system performs a self check. The clunk you hear is the ABS system. You only here it after the car has been sitting. I guarantee you thats what OP is hearing.
    Thanks much.

Same noise here. Could this have anything to do with the hill assist?

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Same noise here. Could this have anything to do with the hill assist?
    No its the ABS Cycling. This is completely normal.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

KHP
    No its the ABS Cycling. This is completely normal.
    +1

I've talked to a Subaru tech regarding this "clunk" sound. Maus is correct regarding ABS self test after rolling a few feet forward after the car has been sitting for a while.

I know my car 2011 WRX, my friends 2013 WRX, and my friends wife's 2010 Impreza all does this. Completely normal.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I hear the same noise too, i'm glad to hear it's a normal.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    +1

I've talked to a Subaru tech regarding this "clunk" sound. Maus is correct regarding ABS self test after rolling a few feet forward after the car has been sitting for a while.

I know my car 2011 WRX, my friends 2013 WRX, and my friends wife's 2010 Impreza all does this. Completely normal.
    so if ABS is making that noise for self check then it will make noise when it is really used for intended purpose
    why then it never make cling in wet weather