2013 Wrx Question.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2013 Wrx Question. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am considering purchasing a new WRX but have what may seem like a dumb question, I was at the ...

2013 Wrx Question.

I am considering purchasing a new WRX but have what may seem like a dumb question, I was at the dealer yesterday and noticed that the hood scoop is very large and has no screen to protect the intercooler. I live in Illinois and commute 130 miles per day in all weather extremes and was wondering if this has caused any problems for WRX owners in the past, as in snow or debris accumulating under the hood?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I haven't experienced any problems in PA during my first winter with my WRX, nor have i heard of anything before. But if you want to be safe...

SUBARU IMPREZA 2008-11 WRX STI HOOD SCOOP MESH GRILLE on eBay!
    2012 SWP WRX Premium
    35% tint and that's all she wrote

nothing yet. +1 on the mesh grill. except on long trips, leaves might build up.

KHP
    I've had my 2011 for about 2 1/2 years now. Never had issues with accumulation on the intercooler. Snow will just melt away since it's a heat exchanger. Debris I believe is a non factor as well. I haven't seen any fall leaves accumulate. I live in dusty Nevada and haven't had any issues. Installing a screen pre-intercooler will reduce it's efficiency as you're adding restriction to the airflow.
    Last edited by KHP; 03-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Thanks for the response, I am planning on purchasing soon and have compared the WRX to the Focus ST and the Mazdaspeed3 and I have to say the prospect of finally owning a WRX has me leaning that way.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    I am considering purchasing a new WRX but have what may seem like a dumb question, I was at the dealer yesterday and noticed that the hood scoop is very large and has no screen to protect the intercooler. I live in Illinois and commute 130 miles per day in all weather extremes and was wondering if this has caused any problems for WRX owners in the past, as in snow or debris accumulating under the hood?
    I have not had any issues. I've actually upgraded my top mount intercooler too - to a process west ... meaning that I don't have the rubber "screen" on either side of the splitter. It's just open and still have not had any issues with debris. One problem I did see is driving the car here in New England in the winter where they use a lot of salt on the roads - is that excess salt gets on componets under your hood. I wash my engine a couple times on warmer days during the winter and one good washing in the sprint. That seems to do the job.

Best of luck!
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I was worried about the same thing, and even more so when I upgraded to the PW TMIC like Wussola. But it's been a non-worry.

I've had 1 thing get into my hood, and it was a bird. It didn't do a thing to the IC.

You should plug it. Ever see an aircraft turbin suck something in?
    You wouldn't want your engine to shell out now would you?

You're fine...its just for intercooler cooling

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    I was worried about the same thing, and even more so when I upgraded to the PW TMIC like Wussola. But it's been a non-worry.

I've had 1 thing get into my hood, and it was a bird. It didn't do a thing to the IC.

I had something like this happen once (end of the video) ....

funny 2008 Subaru wrx STi commercial - YouTube

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Ricktalife View Post
    I haven't experienced any problems in PA during my first winter with my WRX, nor have i heard of anything before. But if you want to be safe...

SUBARU IMPREZA 2008-11 WRX STI HOOD SCOOP MESH GRILLE on eBay!

I looked at the link ... the only issue I would see with the "mesh" is that it will reduce the airflow to your intercooler ... and for the higher hp cars (Stage 3, etc) this in theory could lead to higher intercooler temps and lower hp. With it being a top mounted intercooler (compared to a front mount) you need all the airflow you can get!

... my 2 cents

St. Louis Metro East, on the Illinois side, but not the really bad Illinois side, but also not the really good side.
    It's a NON issue. period

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.