Storing 2007 WRX for 6 months
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Storing 2007 WRX for 6 months within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, I have been out of the country for 6 months and my 2007 Subaru WRX hasn't been started ...

Storing 2007 WRX for 6 months

Hello everyone,

I have been out of the country for 6 months and my 2007 Subaru WRX hasn't been started since I've been gone. What are some recommendations on how I should get it back going to what it was when I left? I am expecting a dead battery and for it to run a little rough because of the stale gas that was left in the tank. Should I get an oil change right away? Should the tires be inspected? Anything with the brakes?

Any and all recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

6 months...I probably wouldn't even want to try and run it with the gas that's in it if there's a significant amount. If it were me I would get that gas outta there and put fresh fuel in before starting the car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    I would definitely get an oil change. You might luck out with the battery and find that it is ok (but may need a jump start). Not sure on the gas, but if it were me I probably would have parked it on low gas and then bring fresh gas in a can when I go to get it! Good luck and I am sure you will get more helpful responses here!

Thanks. When I initially parked the car I left gas in it because someone was going to start it for me every two weeks. Then they let the battery die and it won't start now.

How would you get the gas out?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekep1014 View Post
    Thanks. When I initially parked the car I left gas in it because someone was going to start it for me every two weeks. Then they let the battery die and it won't start now.
    Another thing to be aware of is that depending on the environment you may have some rust on your rotors/brake pads, so the first time you go to stop your car it might not be as responsive until you brake hard a few times to wear that off. Don't want to go flying through an intersection!

I Support ClubWRX
    How would you get the gas out?
    you can syphon it. Common way that people steal gas from parked cars...Just don't swallow any!

I think it's a little less than a half tank. Would you recommend mixing premium gas with it to make it not as bad?

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, you would probably be fine doing that, but if it were me I would probably try to syphon as much out of there as I could. Did you happen to add any gasoline stabilizer to it before you stored it or was it just straight gas?

It was just straight gas. Should I add one of those STP octane boosters or fuel injector cleaners?

I Support ClubWRX
    It's really just that the gas probably deteriorated significantly over that time. The octane booster won't fix that (or really do much of anything except cost you money). I would try and syphon out the gas. It is really quite easy to do. The fuel injector cleaner probably wouldn't hurt.

Ok. Thanks for your advice.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok. Thanks for your advice.
    Yep no prob. I am sure some more people will chime in too! Good luck!

I believe there are actually drain plugs somewhere on the tank.

Edit. Filthy Lies!

Looks like 07+ doesn't have drain plugs. Here's an excerpt from someone on nasioc describing what they did.

Anyway I drained the fuel tank by removing the supply fuel line from the fuel pump and attaching a hose of my own to a jug and then primed the pump over and over till I had pumped out a few gallons. I supposed I could have tricked the relay into staying on, but I'm not sure where it's located.
    You could try siphoning it, but aren't modern cars set up to make that difficult/impossible?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    but aren't modern cars set up to make that difficult/impossible?
    I think you are right actually. I heard that a few years back when I was paronoid that people were going to be stealing my gas when prices skyrocketed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.