Storing 2007 WRX for 6 months - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Storing 2007 WRX for 6 months within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 11blackSTi I would definitely get an oil change. You might luck out with the battery and find ...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I would definitely get an oil change. You might luck out with the battery and find that it is ok (but may need a jump start). Not sure on the gas, but if it were me I probably would have parked it on low gas and then bring fresh gas in a can when I go to get it! Good luck and I am sure you will get more helpful responses here!
    FYI you're best to park a car for a long time with a full tank of gas. Less likely to absorb water (special thanks to ethanol ).

But yes, you would be best to drain the fuel to avoid sucking bad fuel in. I have forgotten to add fuel stabilizer to a boat and let it sit for 8 months before. Fuel still smelled good, didn't darken in color, and ran fine so I ran the full tank with no issues. Chances are you will be fine, but to be safe it would be best to drain the tank. If you decide to not drain the tank, I would recommend filling the tank. Then on your next tank add some fuel injector cleaner just in case. Otherwise, your battery might be a goner and your tires might have flat spots. Oil change would be best.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Thekep1014 View Post
    I think it's a little less than a half tank. Would you recommend mixing premium gas with it to make it not as bad?
    Did you not have premium in it to begin with???
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

If there's a significant amount of space there is a good chance it has water in the bottom in the tank. Add a container of water absorbing additive, not sure what it's called, but it works pretty good. Fill full with premium. The turbo WRX uses premium anyways, don't see why it's not that to begin with. Fuel should be no problem this way. Battery likely needs to be replaced, especially if it sat discharged for longer than a week or 2. Brakes might have some surface rust, that'll make the car brake real hard on first application but it no real issue, since that'll rub right off. Tires just need to have pressure checked. Also check coolant just to be safe. 6 month is really not a big deal, shouldn't be too bad.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    6 month is really not a big deal, shouldn't be too bad.
    That's what I was thinking anyway myself. If all else, just run off the tank of gas without hitting boost.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Yeah I've always used premium gas in it

It would make sense to prep the car for storage before and then not to have to worry about it later: Full tank with stabilzer, battery out and on a float charger, Oil change and just turned over to get fresh oil everywhere. There's something with acid developing in the oil whith combustion and that could hurt bearings if sitting too long. Fresh oil avoids that. Then it's just a matter of installing the battery and you're off and running when the time comes.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Yeah I'll be back in 10 days so we'll see

Hey there. Just a thought they make a addidtive that you can put in your gas for that issue. The only thing I wonder if you had ethenol in the gas. . That will seperate over time and it has caused some problems and also change the fuel filter because it will have some sediment in it. As your battery I think if you put it on a slow charge over night it should be fine. If you boost it it will be hard on the alternator to charge where it hasn't ran for awhile. The brakes go easy at first and ride them a little if you hit them hard it can pull you either direction and lift your e brake handle while driving slow to clean the rear ones up. Hope this helps .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.