Is my new '13 TOO fuel efficient? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is my new '13 TOO fuel efficient? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX If I drive at 80 on the 10 mile highway portion of my commute instead of ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    If I drive at 80 on the 10 mile highway portion of my commute instead of cruising at 70 with middle-lane and right-lane traffic, it will trim 64 seconds off of my commute. Not worth the stress and extra gas burned.

But if you commute is 4 hours at 60mph, then you will get there in only 2 hours if you go 120mph..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure, but then the statistics point to a reduced life expectancy...

Honestly, high speed on the highway bores me at this point. Yay, I moved the needle to a faster speed! I guess I did enough of it at a younger age not to be fascinated with it, any more. (at speeds that aren't well over triple digit, anyway.)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I noticed this as well. My commute is 28 miles each way. It's 95% highway, and it has a decent amount of down hills on the way to work, and I can get a nice average of around 28.5, and have hit 30 many times, lately I've been driving more spirited though which brings it more in the range of 24-26.

My second trip calculator was only reset once, and has like 1500 miles and my overall average so far is 24.6. Just about to break 2k on the odo and I got it toward the end of January.

Seems to even out over time, you can't drive like a granny forever lol

For the life of my DD stage 3 2013 hatch (8000 +/- miles), I am sitting at 23.7 on the trip calculator (been there for a while) - and it went up after I got the E-Tune from TP. The best i've gotten calculating by hand was around 27 I think. That's a bit of highway (70-75 mph) and a bit of around town (pretty close to 50/50).

I'd love to get better mileage - stop complaining!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I don't trust those MPG computers... if anything, the manufacturer prefers to inflate the numbers slightly. Recording your mileage and dividing that by your fuel added is a much better method.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Personally, I didn't buy my WRX for fuel efficiency. I'm just saying. I'm loving every minute when I'm behind the wheel, driving like I stole it! I do need to calculate my MPGs though... Nah!
    2013 CBS WRX COBB AP, DP AND SF INTAKE W/AIR BOX. COBB OTF STAGE 2 MAP

Quote Originally Posted by 90crxfreak View Post
    I'm lucky to get 20 MPG (2012 WRX Hatch) then again I usually do 80 mph all the time...
    Yea at my old job I had a 45 minute commute and drove with a lead foot the whole way there up and down mountains. I think above 75 in these cars is where the mpgs start to really bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I don't trust those MPG computers... if anything, the manufacturer prefers to inflate the numbers slightly. Recording your mileage and dividing that by your fuel added is a much better method.
    You know I've never had a problem with the MPG readout on the dash of my '11. I've calculated it by hand several times to compare and it is always the same.

I drove from MD to NY and was able to get 27mpg avg for the entire trip. On the way back I got 25.5. Just have to take it easy and make sure them tires are inflated properly!

every time i fill up the tank of my 2013 wrx shows high mpg around 28-30 and then after driving around 30miles it goes to 25-26

thats about what i average. start driving it a little harder. itll quickly drop to 21-22 i assure you. but i drive easy easy and i get about 25

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I too was skeptical of the trip computer, so for the first 5 fill-ups did it by hand. In every instance, the on board computer underestimated the mileage by .3-.7 MPG. Since then I haven't paid much attention.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm too much of an engineer to blindly trust a readout like that. Show me a passing calibration certificate for it, with tolerances listed, and I might be more likely to think that the numbers mean anything in absolute terms. I could see how it's helpful to see relative changes, like when you drive more aggressively, or use winter gas.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

with my 2013 i get about 21 or so (according to the on board) with a 24mile round trip commute everyday. about 1/2 highway, 1/2 city

dude, how are you guys getting 25+ mpg??? best ive seen is 24 mpg and i drive pretty slow

Quote Originally Posted by richie18 View Post
    dude, how are you guys getting 25+ mpg??? best ive seen is 24 mpg and i drive pretty slow
    It is much more dependent on how you apply the gas than what speeds you're driving. Stay out of boost and you'll see your numbers increase.

Also depends on your location as well. Lots of hills will lower mileage, vs. flat land.
    '11 WRX DGM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast