Chain or Belt ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Chain or Belt ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax + Water pump, gaskets, etc. I was quoted about 00 by the Subaru Dealership here. Anyhow, ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    + Water pump, gaskets, etc.

I was quoted about $1100 by the Subaru Dealership here. Anyhow, the gates kit is about $380 for the belt, tensioner, and water pump (+ shipping). That's quite a decent deal. Most shops around here want 5 hours of labor = $500. A conservative estimate is $880.
    I wouldn't replace a water pump with anything other then OEM. I've seen way to many local garage just changed my water pump and car is leaking coolant type stories. I also wouldn't just change a pump unless there was an issue. Subaru's pumps are pretty decent and while some people have an issue here and there most of the time a water pump will last a very long time. Some can do it as a preventative maintenance thing but it's not necessary if someone is in a money pinch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    I wouldn't replace a water pump with anything other then OEM.
    Gates is OEM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Lol, I should mention that orange text here indicates sarcasm. I forget not everyone knows that
    Sweet!

Oh I might add any time something is in red that means it's said in the voice of Ashton Kutcher from dude where's my car.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Gates is OEM.
    Gates belts. I don't believe gates makes the water pump. Most reputable places I've seen sell the gates kit sells the oem pump opposed to a gates pump/gasket.

I Support ClubWRX
    Gates belts. I don't believe gates makes the water pump. Most reputable places I've seen sell the gates kit sells the oem pump opposed to a gates pump/gasket.
    Can you detect a difference between Gates and Subaru labeled pumps? I was not in a position to do so because the style of pump changed after my year (this is the enclosed vs. open impeller blades difference). It would be interesting to see two open impeller (later) pumps side by side, one Subaru labeled, one Gates labeled.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet!

Oh I might add any time something is in red that means it's said in the voice of Ashton Kutcher from dude where's my car.
    Duuuuuuude.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    I found one statement to the effect that Gates is an OEM on the pumps:
    2011-2012 Subaru WRX Gates OEM Water Pump: JSC Speed

However I'm not worried about it either way; I'd use Gates on any of my vehicles in any context except for gaskets. I did not like the Gates gaskets. Although everything else (rollers, tensioner, belts, pump) is such that I could not distinguish it from the Subaru labeled analog, the gaskets did not do it for me. Just my view.

I found one statement to the effect that Gates is an OEM on the pumps:
    2011-2012 Subaru WRX Gates OEM Water Pump: JSC Speed

However I'm not worried about it either way; I'd use Gates on any of my vehicles in any context except for gaskets. I did not like the Gates gaskets. Although everything else (rollers, tensioner, belts, pump) is such that I could not distinguish it from the Subaru labeled analog, the gaskets did not do it for me. Just my view.
    JSC is by me and I've spent a lot of money with them. They will say anything to sell product. They also list that their cost is a sale price when their sale price is generally everyone elses msrp. Their msrp is a fake number to make it seem like you're getting a great deal. lol

That being said it's hard to tell. It's been a while since I've seen a gates pump but when I did it wasn't the same kind of consistency of the stock pump. That being said I haven't seen a newer subie that needed a pump so for all I know they could be manufacturing them for subaru now.

I Support ClubWRX
    I noticed the blade enclosure but not much else. I've spoken to Gates and sent questions and they were very helpful. Interesting.

I noticed the blade enclosure but not much else. I've spoken to Gates and sent questions and they were very helpful. Interesting.
    And they said that they manufactured the subaru factory water pump? Or did they say they manufacture an OE replacement water pump?

I Support ClubWRX
    That wasn't part of the discussion. We discussed the markings on the timing belt and the manner in which the exit ports on the water pump are fitted onto the body. If I'd thought of it I'd have asked though. Oh, well, I'm up for another in 90,000 miles so I can ask then.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-14-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Hmm, interesting. I'll see if I can get a look at one and take a look at the markings on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok good thinking.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I used a Gates kit. All the idlers were the same brand and model as the factory. The tensioner was made by the same Japanese outfit that made the OEM one. The water pump was 100% indistinguishable in every way from the OEM one. The OEM one has no markings on it, neither did the gates.

I concur gates gaskets are crap, I bought OEM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I now recommend also inspecting the thermostat housing carefully and replacing that as well if there is pitting. Again just IMO and I am no mechanic -- on the contrary my tools are a waste, I can barely use them so everything I say needs a grain of salt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast