Help me spend some upgrade $!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Help me spend some upgrade $!! within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Anub1s This thread hurts my brain... some pretty bad suggestions in here. Seriously, it's a brand new ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    This thread hurts my brain... some pretty bad suggestions in here.

Seriously, it's a brand new car. Wait until you have some actual seat time, then decide where it's lacking.

That or put the money to actual good use and pay down the note on the car if you didn't buy it outright.
    I agree that I wouldn't modify at 350 miles. I mean that is barely getting your car home (for me anyway). Why not just make sure it is broken in and running properly before meddling with it? I did tint my windows and put mudflaps on right off the bat. But that being said, the OP clearly wants to do some modification to his car. With today's interest rates, if you have good credit, and put a decent downpayment on your car, paying down your note on your car might not be a huge concern.

I think people are trying to suggest some first modifications based on their experiences/observations with these cars. The original poster may just want some suggestions for when he does make his first modification, which might not be tomorrow at 351 miles.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLeCal View Post
    Actually Anubis - I'm gonna do the financially responsible thing. Trade it in for a Prius and put the money in some bonds, with the capital gains flowing directly into my 401k.
    Pfft, Prius? For REAL savings, trade it in and get a mid-90's Civic. 40+ MPG, buy it outright for cheap, cheap maintenance. Bam, done.

In all honesty, very, very few us of could say we would do the responsible thing. But there it is anyway, because some ******* has to say it. Guess it might as well be me.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I agree that I wouldn't modify at 350 miles. I mean that is barely getting your car home (for me anyway). Why not just make sure it is broken in and running properly before meddling with it? I did tint my windows and put mudflaps on right off the bat. But that being said, the OP clearly wants to do some modification to his car. With today's interest rates, if you have good credit, and put a decent downpayment on your car, paying down your note on your car might not be a huge concern.

I think people are trying to suggest some first modifications based on their experiences/observations with these cars. The original poster may just want some suggestions for when he does make his first modification, which might not be tomorrow at 351 miles.
    Trust me I understand, I didn't mean for it to come across that the ONLY acceptable thing to do with the money at this stage was to pay the note down, merely that it was a responsible and acceptable way to put the money to use. Especially with the car being so new. Just an alternative, and like I said above, some ******* has to say the responsible thing.

<--- getting old.

If you want a real suggestion, replace as much of the ****ty stock sound system as possible, tint the windows and be done for a bit until you get to know the car better. That's basically what I did, although the tint came MUCH later. Not sure if the sound system is still awful, but I doubt it's improved much.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

To the OP, where are you located? I don't want to assume, we all know what that would make me, from your username. If you are somewhere that gets cold/snowy then first and foremost I would suggest a second set of wheels with winter tires.

If not, well, where do YOU think the car could use improvement?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Thanks guys. Actually in NJ. Thinking eibach front n rear sways and end links w spacers. Why not. U can never have enough handling. Yes the sound system is garbage but I like the Bluetooth phone compatibility I have so not gonna switch out the radio. Tinting tomorrow - already scheduled. I'd love an exhaust but its a lot f $ for minimal gains ... Plus the stock exhaust looks great. Anyone do Cobb stage 1 only as a first mod?

I have a 13 sti and flashed the stg 1 Cobb 93 map. No other mods. The car is night and day different. I highly suggest it if you want something very easy with noticeable performance and not a bunch of headaches or worries.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I have a 13 sti and flashed the stg 1 Cobb 93 map. No other mods. The car is night and day different. I highly suggest it if you want something very easy with noticeable performance and not a bunch of headaches or worries.
    Seriously? That sounds awesome. How easy is using the Cobb?

It's super easy, buy the accessport, download the latest software from cobbs website to your computer. Plug the accessport into your computer and and make sure the software is current and then download the maps you want off cobbs website and transfer them to the accessport through your computer. Read the easy instructions and plug into your cars obdII port to install the accessport and flash the map you want. If you called Cobb to order the accessport it would probably already be current and have all the maps for your car loaded on it so you could just plug it into your car. I think they claim like 20% power increase with just the stg1 map. It will also give you launch control, code reader and many other options.

Sounds like the plan for me. Glad I bought an OBDII 2 months ago LOL. You noticed a nice difference and car ran as smooth as stock?

My sti felt like a slow turd stock, and just with the stg1 Cobb map I'm very impressed. Car pulls way harder into boost and just feels better all around power delivery.

I Support ClubWRX
    Flashing to stage 1 is something I would definitely recommend waiting until at the very least, break in period to be over. Also, when you say that you want an exhaust, but it is expensive with minimal gain, you are correct if you are talking about at catback exhaust, but if you are talking about the full turbo back exhaust, you are wrong. If you replace the turbo back exhaust (or just the downpipe, which can be had for very cheap, especially used), there are many gains to be had. And if you already have the COBB accessport, you can flash to stage 2 just as easily as stage 1, once you have the downpipe installed. One of the good things about the COBB accessport, is that you can flash to stage 1, and then later down the road, if you want more power, download the stage 2 map for free, and flash that after you have your downpipe. If you do use COBB maps (either stage 1 or 2), make sure to read and follow their map notes (on their website) very carefully and follow them exactly. You don't want to be slapping on other mods that the maps are not designed for.

I agree with 11blackSTi. (Other than floor mats which I got on the second day I had the car) I got the AccessPORT as my first mod. The hardest part was waiting to hit 1000 miles before I tuned it. I actually ended up waiting until 1500 just, because I wanted to see what the car was like on the stock tune for 500 miles. I didn't really open it up during the break in period at all.

I'd say the AP is really worth it because of all the extra's you get other than the tune (diagonastics tool, multiple gauges...). Right now I'm stage 1 and I really like it. The AP will come in handy when I go stage 2 too.

My next mod is going to be either a new head unit for the garbage stereo or TBE stage 2. I rarely find times when I wish my rex was faster than it already currently is and I'm always saying the stereo sucks ...so I am leaning towards the head unit. (no worries though, stage 2 WILL happen soon after that too )
    2012 Limited World Rally Blue Pearl Subaru Impreza World Rally Xross Sedan ...
    ...On order since 4/14/2012; Received VIN 7/4/2012; ETA 8/6/2012; Delivered 8/9/2012
    OTS AP Stage 1 9/15/2012

You can flash the map right away even if your before 1000 miles. Just drive it how you're gonna break it in. Change the oil and your good to go.

Plenty of good ideas posted. As far as an AP/reflash.....just consider possible warranty issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12