Driving habits when cold engine

View Poll Results: What are your driving habits when driving a cold car?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't have one, just drive, go and don't worry about the RPMs

2 1.37%
  • I let the car sit until the oil temp settings are up to normal values

8 5.48%
  • I only drive below 2000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

1 0.68%
  • I only drive below 2500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

2 1.37%
  • I only drive below 3000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

18 12.33%
  • I only drive below 3500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

5 3.42%
  • I only drive below 4000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

0 0%
  • I only drive below 4500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

0 0%
  • bewbs

110 75.34%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Driving habits when cold engine within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, I started a thread earlier about how I revved my engine to about 3,800 RPMs on cold start ...

Driving habits when cold engine

Hi everyone,

I started a thread earlier about how I revved my engine to about 3,800 RPMs on cold start (here: Is this bad?) and got me thinking about doing a poll to see what others' habits are when the engine is cold. So out of curiosity, what are your guy's driving habits when you first start the car? For example, do you just let it on idle until you get to normal temperatures?

For mikie13 ( . )( . )
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-22-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added "bewbs"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I just turn the key and floor it

No just kidding.

I always turn my key to on so my boost gauge zeros out (AEM analog), and then start the engine. Then I wait for 2-3 minutes or so for the engine to warm up. I won't crank on it though until the engine is fully warmed up (5-10 minutes). If it is really really cold out I let my car warm up for 5-10 minutes before I even move it. If you absolutely can't wait, just wait 30 seconds or so for the oil to circulate and then keep the rpms way down until the engine warms.

Also, I wouldn't recommend turning the engine off directly after cranking on it. If I have been on it right before I stop my car, I usually let it idle a few minutes before I turn it off.

I'm usually not in a hurry to get anywhere so I'll start up, wait a couple minutes, and go. In the winter I go out and start the car while I'm getting ready, so it usually idles for 5-10 minutes.
    A nice leisure cruise through the neighborhood ensures that everything is up to temp by the time I want to put a load on it.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I try to keep it under 3k with no boost until my oil pressure stabilizes.

Is the RPM value of what is considered "abusive" relative to the rev limit of a car? For example, with the WRX rev limit of 6,700 RPM, is 3,000 RPM similar to 4,000 RPM on something like a Honda S2000, which has a rev limit of 9,000 RPM? If so, a 4,000 RPM rev on ours would be like a 5,300 RPM rev. on the S2000.
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-22-2013 at 02:46 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
    Is the RPM value of what is considered "abusive" relative to the rev limit of a car? For example, with the WRX rev limit of 6,700 RPM, is 3,000 RPM similar to 4,000 RPM on something like a Honda S2000, which has a rev limit of 9,000 RPM? If so, a 4,000 RPM rev on ours would be like a 5,300 RPM rev.
    I would look at it more as...when does my turbo start to boost. I wouldn't be going into heavy boost loads until the car is warmed up. Below 3K is going to avoid boosting. 4K you will be boosting (although not full boost).

With the bike it's a totally different thing. Start it up, pin it to the limiter a few times, and race off.
    No wait, I forgot I'm not a squid...

No bewbs, no polling.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    No bewbs, no polling.
    Fixed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
    Fixed.
    Haha...No it has to be a poll option

I Support ClubWRX
    I voted under 3500 rpms, (since there was no bewbs option) but I'm always late for something so I often just get in and go. Then again I work at the dealership so breaking something isn't as big a deal for me as for a lot of you guys...
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Haha...No it has to be a poll option
    Sadly, I can't edit the poll.
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I would look at it more as...when does my turbo start to boost. I wouldn't be going into heavy boost loads until the car is warmed up. Below 3K is going to avoid boosting. 4K you will be boosting (although not full boost).

No.. boost is not RPM dependent. I can hit full boost at 3100rpm, or I can rev to 5000rpm with no boost, they are virtually unrelated. What we're looking to limit here are piston speeds and cylinder pressure.

When I go to work in the morning I have to go up a hill first. So I start, let it run maybe a minute while I pick up the newpaper and bring it inside. Then I go up the hill, shifting at 3k, that bring me into next geat at 2k. 2nd and 3rd gears. At the top I go into 4th still under easy acceleration. Then heating starts to work and I feel better about pushing it more....
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No.. boost is not RPM dependent. I can hit full boost at 3100rpm, or I can rev to 5000rpm with no boost, they are virtually unrelated. What we're looking to limit here are piston speeds and cylinder pressure.
    I'm assuming you have some way of controlling your boost? There is no way my car would rev to 5000 rpms without my turbo kicking in. Higher rpms means more exhaust flow, which speeds up the turbo spool, which forces more air into the cylinders, no?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.