Driving habits when cold engine - Page 2

View Poll Results: What are your driving habits when driving a cold car?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't have one, just drive, go and don't worry about the RPMs

2 1.37%
  • I let the car sit until the oil temp settings are up to normal values

8 5.48%
  • I only drive below 2000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

1 0.68%
  • I only drive below 2500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

2 1.37%
  • I only drive below 3000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

18 12.33%
  • I only drive below 3500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

5 3.42%
  • I only drive below 4000 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

0 0%
  • I only drive below 4500 RPMs until the oil temp settings are up

0 0%
  • bewbs

110 75.34%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Driving habits when cold engine within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; FYI: Even though your water (gauge on the left) is at adequate temp doesn't mean your oil temperature is fully ...

FYI: Even though your water (gauge on the left) is at adequate temp doesn't mean your oil temperature is fully warmed up, it can take about 14 miles of easy driving to get it to even 150ish, which is where I wait to actually start getting on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I'm assuming you have some way of controlling your boost? There is no way my car would rev to 5000 rpms without my turbo kicking in. Higher rpms means more exhaust flow, which speeds up the turbo spool, which forces more air into the cylinders, no?
    Boost is load dependent. Keep off the throttle. I can keep my gauge at 0 if I really wanted.

3500 sorta looks like it has boobs at the end of it... so I'll pick that.
    Last edited by UEDan; 02-22-2013 at 03:40 PM.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm assuming you have some way of controlling your boost? There is no way my car would rev to 5000 rpms without my turbo kicking in. Higher rpms means more exhaust flow, which speeds up the turbo spool, which forces more air into the cylinders, no?

Yes, the gas pedal. Boost is throttle and load dependent, not rpm. You're not understanding how the turbo works.. If your wastegate is open then it doesn't matter how much exhaust volume you have, it is going to bypass the turbine wheel and not spool the turbo (unless you're experiencing boost creep due to an improperly sized wastegate). Also, load plays a big role in exhaust volume, not just rpm. If you look at boost target and WGDC tables in the ECU, they are based off of throttle opening angle vs. rpm.

example

If your foot isn't on the gas then your wastegate is going to be open and you're not going to make boost. If your car had no way of controlling boost, then the turbo and/or engine would explode the first time you drove it.

If I wanted to I could cruise at 7000rpm in second gear with about 10% throttle my engine would be making the exact same amount of vacuum as if I were cruising at 2000rpm with 10% throttle.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yes, the gas pedal. Boost is throttle and load dependent, not rpm. You're not understanding how the turbo works.. If your wastegate is open then it doesn't matter how much exhaust volume you have, it is going to bypass the turbine wheel and not spool the turbo (unless you're experiencing boost creep due to an improperly sized wastegate). Also, load plays a big role in exhaust volume, not just rpm. If you look at boost target and WGDC tables in the ECU, they are based off of throttle opening angle vs. rpm.

example

If your foot isn't on the gas then your wastegate is going to be open and you're not going to make boost. If your car had no way of controlling boost, then the turbo and/or engine would explode the first time you drove it.

If I wanted to I could cruise at 7000rpm in second gear with about 10% throttle my engine would be making the exact same amount of vacuum as if I were cruising at 2000rpm with 10% throttle.
    How do you get your car up to 5000 rpms when it is sitting still without pressing on the gas pedal? Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-22-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Very slowly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
    Sadly, I can't edit the poll.
    Fixed. Bewbs seems to have taken the lead.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Boobs

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

How do you get your car up to 5000 rpms when it is sitting still without pressing on the gas pedal? Am I missing something here?

I never said sitting still.. your car won't make boost in neutral either (because there is no load). You should be able to give the car up to 50-60% throttle opening angle without any boost building. Most of the time I drive my car never gets in to boost, I don't have to floor it to get around town. Mine builds boost with less throttle than stock due to mods, so I will cross into positive manifold pressure probably somewhere around 40% throttle opening angle (I'm guessing, been a while since I've looked at partial throttle logs).

If you really can't wrap your head around it I suppose I could make a video..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I never said sitting still.. your car won't make boost in neutral either (because there is no load). You should be able to give the car up to 50-60% throttle opening angle without any boost building. Most of the time I drive my car never gets in to boost, I don't have to floor it to get around town. Mine builds boost with less throttle than stock due to mods, so I will cross into positive manifold pressure probably somewhere around 40% throttle opening angle (I'm guessing, been a while since I've looked at partial throttle logs).

If you really can't wrap your head around it I suppose I could make a video..
    Haha no it's ok...I follow what you are saying. I always just thought that if I got in the car with my buddy and started the engine and rev'd the engine hard to show him what it sounded like then my turbo would spool...But I get ya. BUT if you do want to make a video you better make sure there are some bewbs in it

hmm... I could work on that

I Support ClubWRX
    Not all that many people actually have any way to read oil temp; the stock gauge is a coolant temp gauge. As a general rule, if you double the time it takes for coolant to get up to operating temp, oil will be up to temp, as well. That said...

Until coolant is up to temp, I shift at 3K and will choose a higher gear over a lower gear, as long as it's < 3K in the rev range. Once coolant is up to temp, and before my oil temp gauge is set, I shift at 3.5K-4K and cruise in a lower gear, if able. Once oil is up to temp, it's however I feel like at that exact moment.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Fixed. Bewbs seems to have taken the lead.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I tend to roll my car out my driveway, starting it in the road, before my gauges even go back to zero i have the throttle to the ground and left toes ready to slip off the sllide of the clutch puddle, I think rip through 1-3 gear, (redlining every single gear, if im feeling really good I'll let it bounce off rev limiter a couple times before I shift) Drift the right turn at the end of my road, by then im in the school zone and my cob AP is telling me my coolant temp is in like 70's! YAY now time to race through school zone showing off my awesome racecar thats peppy as fck (due to cold start) and blows smoke like a mofo out the exhaust! (warm exhaust air meeting the freezing cold outside air) Now Monday when I get back to school everyone can tell me how cool I am! damn, I LOVE school zones, mostly ones for kindergarten's though.

....On a real note, Morning before school, I let it idle for 10 mins before I drive it, any other time I go to drive it cold, I start it, turn on my ipod and get situated (give the car a few seconds to get some oil circulating and all the systems up n running then im off, shifting under 3k RPM until the car becomes warmed up.

These are modern cars unless it's -40 outside and you are using a block warmer you can start your car and go. Keep your boost in the negatives till the engine is warmed up, 5-10 mins.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12