Is this bad?

This is a discussion on Is this bad? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i just got the WRX this Monday. My buddy was excited for me and wanted to see the car. ...

Is this bad?

So i just got the WRX this Monday. My buddy was excited for me and wanted to see the car. Of course, he wanted me to switch it on and rev . Caving in, I turned it on and revved the engine up to 3,500 - 3,800 RPM on NEUTRAL. Given the car is brand new (I have about 250 miles on it) and not fully broken in, was it bad that I did that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nah. Don't go out and redline it, but a few revs aren't going to hurt it.

Revs aren't going to hurt it...but I'd definitely refrain from doing that if the car hasn't been warmed up at all...you gotta give the engine 20-30secs to at least cycle the oil around a bit.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Revs aren't going to hurt it...but I'd definitely refrain from doing that if the car hasn't been warmed up at all...you gotta give the engine 20-30secs to at least cycle the oil around a bit.
    One thing to add - the car was was driven prior to but sat for about 2 hours before I did the cold engine rev. That is, I drove the car, parked it, sat for about 2 hours (about 50 degrees ambient/outside temperature), went back to the car with my buddy, started the car then revved to 3,800 RPM.
    Last edited by Betlog; 02-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
    One thing to add - the car was was driven prior to but sat for about 2 hours before I did the cold engine rev. That is, I drove the car, parked it, sat for about 2 hours, went back to the car with my buddy, started the car then revved to 3,800 RPM.
    You are fine. I wouldn't do high revs from a cold start anymore though. Like Mikie suggested, give it at least 30 seconds to get the oil cycling through and then you should be fine (I give it a little longer in the extreme cold). On break in, they recommend staying under 4K RPMs, so it sounds like you are doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    You are fine. I wouldn't do high revs from a cold start anymore though. Like Mikie suggested, give it at least 30 seconds to get the oil cycling through and then you should be fine (I give it a little longer in the extreme cold). On break in, they recommend staying under 4K RPMs, so it sounds like you are doing that.
    This is a good rule to follow even once you have the car broken in. I never just jump in and go, especially in cold weather. And you certainly want to make sure the car is at normal operating temps before you start romping on it.

i let my bugeye warm up for like 5 mins in the morning then drive it nicely till normal temp lol.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i let my bugeye warm up for like 5 mins in the morning then drive it nicely till normal temp lol.
    Yep I usually let mine warm up at least 5 minutes...Sometimes 10 minutes in extreme cold (I regularly gets in the single digits up in Maine). Not great for gas mileage, but I figure it is better for the engine. Also, shifting is rough if it is not properly warmed up in the cold!

^+1
    A little bit off the gas mileage is well worth saving a bit of wear to the engine and drivetrain.

I let my car run for 30 seconds or so...then go. Keep RPMs low and slow until up to temp though. I have a 2 minute commute to work.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, depending upon situation, I either idle my car for a very few minutes, or not at all. Nice and easy through the neighborhood (shift at 2000-2500rpms, first 5 minutes or so). By then, my temp gauge is usually giving me the okay. Then I drive like my normal, wild, becauseracecar self.

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Yes, I always warm up the car in cold weather - and it's been in the teens and single digits here - you should do that with any car really ...

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My best guess is it's completely broken. Borked. D.O.A.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    ^+1
    A little bit off the gas mileage is well worth saving a bit of wear to the engine and drivetrain.
    I really doubt it affects it enough to even measure it. I had a night where I had to sleep in my car in well below freezing temps and had to run the engine through the night to keep warm. Only had about a quarter tank so I was worried about it and got up a couple time in the night to check... after idling for probably 6 hrs through the night the needle on the gas gauge didn't even move one bit.

Noodles Aren't My Concern twistedphrame's Avatar
    I split my time btwn Atlantic and Warren County NJ
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    I really doubt it affects it enough to even measure it. I had a night where I had to sleep in my car in well below freezing temps and had to run the engine through the night to keep warm. Only had about a quarter tank so I was worried about it and got up a couple time in the night to check... after idling for probably 6 hrs through the night the needle on the gas gauge didn't even move one bit.
    I wouldn't necessarily go by the needle. Mine tends to update when it feels like it. I can be at a gas station(with the power on but not the motor) and it wont update until I actually turn the car on. I think there's some logic in the ecu that waits for xx miles traveled before it updates/rechecks.