Life sucks - My WRX is in the hospital

This is a discussion on Life sucks - My WRX is in the hospital within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As does Valentines Day. I swear, that day was cursed or something. (tl;dr - Me, and 6 other people hit ...

Life sucks - My WRX is in the hospital

As does Valentines Day. I swear, that day was cursed or something.

(tl;dr - Me, and 6 other people hit a spot of awful black ice on a turn lane while I was going with my S/O to dinner on a date last Thursday. We all hit this cement curb, totaling/severely damaging our cars).

For those who live in Colorado, specifically around the Lakewood/Denver area, this happened on Alameda and Kipling, going East towards Belmar.

Anyway, me and my S/O were going out on a dinner date after an exhausting day at work/school last Thursday, and as I was turning right onto Alameda from Kipling, I hit this evil, cursed, voodoo'd spot of black ice and slid into a cement curb at about 15mph. I turned into the curb, and the side of the car slammed right into it like a Turbo'd sumo wrestler. As soon as this happens, I immediately pull over in front of two other cars who hit the same curb doing the same thing.

Once I get out, I hear a huge "BANG" noise. Someone else hits the curb. About ten minutes later, "BANG", someone else hits the curb. Ten minutes after that, another car falls victim to the cursed curb. Then, out of nowhere, a truck slams into the curb but also runs over a pole (think it was a sign). So, here's me and 5-6 other people who fell victim to our city's lack of preparation for the snow storm that happened on Valentines Day here.

My car is at the Subaru Hospital, and they're still seeing if they can fix it or not. Damage includes bent rims on both tires on the left side of the car, lots of scrapes on the front bumper, bent/damaged suspension, and god knows what else.

Sad face.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    womp. glad to hear you & the s/o are okay.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Black ice can form so many different ways, it's damn near impossible to pin it on the city. Considering there is a bus stop right there anyway, I highly doubt the city didn't spray mag-chloride earlier in the day. Regardless, in snow and ice like we had last Thursday, you shouldn't be taking that turn at 15MPH.

I'm sure the shop will be able to make the repairs needed, unless you were really moving when you hit the curb. I got hit on Valentines day too (second year in a row) but made it out with only some scuff marks. Stay safe out there.

I'm glad you're all safe. I can relate to your sentiment as I recently crashed my car in slushy conditions- I'm quite ashamed. Moreso, I'm worried that the car won't feel the same after repairs. Nevertheless, I know that this is a small blemish on a greater picture, and all will be fine in the end.
    David - '05 WRX

I went snow boarding a few weeks back in the Tahoe region, it wasn't snowing when I left so I took my '13 WRX on oem summer tires instead of the wife's '11 Outback. After snow boarding it started to snow, I had to go up a very slight hill covered in snow and got stuck half way up. I hit the brakes but the car started sliding back down the hill albeit slowly. I came 1" from rubbing the entire driver side of my car up against a pine tree.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about that and glad you and everyone else, are ok. Unless the frame is bent, they should be able to fix it ok. It really stinks tho' doesn't it? Hoping all is well soon.

Never take this car out in winter on the summer tyres-I got caught in an october snow-storm-made it home ok, but I also slid down a hill with a car behind me-handbrake/sharp wheel turn stopped the slide. Un-fun !

Sorry to hear about the winter weather troubles.

I bought a set of General Altimax Arctics based on recommendations here and they have been excellent winter tires. They were affordable and perform well enough on snow and ice that I've had nothing but confidence all winter. I definitely don't regret it and would recommend a set to those of you that are having difficulties.

Thanks guys, and thank you for the tire recommendations ^. I had some awesome winter tires put on not too long ago, after sliding around on the stock performance ones it came with when I bought it. But on that evening, nothing could have saved us lol.

More snow today. Almost got into another accident, avoided it just barely. Am right behind a black Toyota truck of some sort. Out of nowhere, a silver Dodge Ram truck U-turns into the black truck, from the opposite lane. I dodge the silver truck. Black truck goes flying into a light pole, silver truck is stuck in the middle of the road.

Has someone pissed off the Universe lately? Because she dun be angry. God darn.