WRX Noob - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Noob within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Ikana I just posted two sources that come from Subaru listing 7,500 miles. The first link has ...

I Support ClubWRX

WRX Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    I just posted two sources that come from Subaru listing 7,500 miles. The first link has scans of the maintenance schedule.
    I guess it must have changed. My '09 manual says 3750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1. Everything isnt bad, sparkplugs would be the hardest id say out of all those things.
    2. I use synthetic and change every 4k miles. 5w or 10w 30.
    3. I bought mine used but trans fluid change was less than $100 so wasnt too bad, had to get an axle replaced which was $80 installed, timing belt/water pump and clutch are going to be the expensive items for me when over 100k. But ya wont have to deal with those for a while.
    4. meh find a used one, better yet get a turboback and go stage 2. catback is a noisemaker. quiet>loud. just cuz it makes alot of noise doesnt mean its fast.
    5. i have the factory short shifter installed. still going to get an after maerkt..id skip the stock and get something else.
    6. not sure of tow capapcity, look in the manaul. i wouldnt tow anything heavy. rent a truck or borrow a friend. maybe a small motorcycle ramp with wheels but not a box trailer lol.
    7.enjoy your car
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I guess it must have changed. My '09 manual says 3750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that it did change in 2010 or 2011, along with a change to full synthetic oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    My (possibly incorrect) understanding is that it did change in 2010 or 2011, along with a change to full synthetic oil.
    Could be. I knew about the change to synthetic.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 2011 and personally I could care less what the manual says I wouldn't change mine at 7500. I change mine at 3k maybe 4k max with full synthetic oil, but again that's my opinion
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

My dealership allots 7500 miles or so, according to the stickers they put on my windshield, when they change my oil. I personally don't like waiting that long.

But, and call me old fashioned, I also check my oil periodically to see how it looks as well, in order to gauge when I want to change it.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Still using Dino oil every 3000 for my 05 STI...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I just posted two sources that come from Subaru listing 7,500 miles. The first link has scans of the maintenance schedule.

Here's a scan straight from my "Warranty and Maintenance Booklet", provided by Subaru..

And here it is stating that the first oil change should be performed at 3,000 miles.. not 7,500.

Last edited by MainFrame; 02-19-2013 at 11:25 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Early warranty books (I think it was late 2010, early 2011) had a note that read "When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions, the engine oil and filter should be changed every 3,750 miles or 3 3/4 months. All turbo-charged vehicles are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions."

Later warranty books no longer have the statement that "All turbo-charged vehicles are considered to be operated under severe driving conditions."

I believe they now contain the recommendation to change the oil at least every 7500 miles or 7.5 months. This is the longest you should go.

The safest bet would be to monitor what how the oil is looking and if uncertain change it more frequently. My dealership recommends 3,750, but they told me I could go longer if I wanted to. Since I use a high quality synthetic I feel ok stretching it a bit further, but try to never go above 4,000 miles between intervals. I definitely do not granny my car.

I understand what you are saying here, but I've copied the text below from the first reference (maint table) you provided.

"Engine Oil/filter*1,
    ALL TURBO models Forester XT, WRX, STI, Legacy GT
    requires Synthetic 5w-30 oil.
    1st oil change is required by 7500 miles or 7.5 months and is required at least every 7500 miles or 7.5 months after that. It is strongly recommended to do more often than that."

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, you are trying to answer a question and use credible sources in the process. It's important to note that 7500 is the max, and SOA recomends shorter intervals for the turbo engines.

Everyone can do what they like....I'm going to use a 3750 interval as a target change interval. If I target that interval and can't get in until I get to 4000....I'm not going to sweat it much. I have seen a lot of threads about these engines using oil between changes, and it can't hurt to change more often. Everyone has their own thoughts on the subject. I'd have to have an oil analsys done at different intervals to be sure what the best interval is for my driving habits. To be honest....I'll just change early and call it a day.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Here's a scan straight from my "Warranty and Maintenance Booklet", provided by Subaru..

And here it is stating that the first oil change should be performed at 3,000 miles.. not 7,500.
    The second image says it is for MY 2002. From the OP's references to options, warranty and maintenance schedule, I took it to mean that we were discussing a new WRX. My WRX is a 2012.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The second image says it is for MY 2002. From the OP's references to options, warranty and maintenance schedule, I took it to mean that we were discussing a new WRX. My WRX is a 2012.

Same turbo ej boxer engine.. Subaru did extend the maximum safe oil change interval for newer models, but that doesn't change the fact that they have always recommended 3750. You could probably go 10k miles without changing your oil if you wanted to, but I wouldn't do it (and the dealership would have good grounds to deny warranty claims). A lot of it depends on what oil you use and how your UOAs come back. For instance, if you were going to use Mobil 1 5w-30 I would recommend changing the oil every 1500 miles. Subaru may say you can go 7500, but that doesn't mean the oil isn't going to sheer and break down long before that.

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    I understand what you are saying here, but I've copied the text below from the first reference (maint table) you provided.

"Engine Oil/filter*1,
    ALL TURBO models Forester XT, WRX, STI, Legacy GT
    requires Synthetic 5w-30 oil.
    1st oil change is required by 7500 miles or 7.5 months and is required at least every 7500 miles or 7.5 months after that. It is strongly recommended to do more often than that."

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, you are trying to answer a question and use credible sources in the process. It's important to note that 7500 is the max, and SOA recomends shorter intervals for the turbo engines.

Everyone can do what they like....I'm going to use a 3750 interval as a target change interval. If I target that interval and can't get in until I get to 4000....I'm not going to sweat it much. I have seen a lot of threads about these engines using oil between changes, and it can't hurt to change more often. Everyone has their own thoughts on the subject. I'd have to have an oil analsys done at different intervals to be sure what the best interval is for my driving habits. To be honest....I'll just change early and call it a day.
    Yes, I saw the recommendation, but unfortunately it doesn't come with any additional guidance. I've personally averaged somewhere around 6000 miles between changes on my car, with the first one at 3000 or so miles.

If 7,500 is the maximum, it seems to me that anything 7,500 or below should be safe. Especially since I drive 90% or so highway miles.

If this is not correct I'd love to know, as I am interested in taking care of the car. That said, I've put over 20k on my car in less than a year and I'd rather not waste money on superfluous synthetic oil changes. So for those of you that change the oil sooner, why? Is there a demonstrable benefit, or is it because it seems better? Also, how can you gauge oil condition visually? It seems like something that you'd need to measure with tools, unless it is sludge or has metal flakes in it, in which case the problem is obvious. I talked to a mechanic about this once and he said it basically all looks the same after 1000 miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Same turbo ej boxer engine.. Subaru did extend the maximum safe oil change interval for newer models, but that doesn't change the fact that they have always recommended 3750. You could probably go 10k miles without changing your oil if you wanted to, but I wouldn't do it (and the dealership would have good grounds to deny warranty claims). A lot of it depends on what oil you use and how your UOAs come back. For instance, if you were going to use Mobil 1 5w-30 I would recommend changing the oil every 1500 miles. Subaru may say you can go 7500, but that doesn't mean the oil isn't going to sheer and break down long before that.
    In 2010 or 2011, Subaru switched to synthetic oil. My understanding is that this is why the oil change interval was increased. I do not believe that the recommendation would be 7,500 miles for non-synthetic oil.

You can't really gauge oil condition visually...that's why Robin suggested an Oil analysis (Blackstone labs I believe have kits to do this to mail to them).

I change the oil sooner because my car is older, has always used Dino oil, and has a lot of miles (124k). It runs noticeably better when the oil gets changed, so I'll continue to do that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.