Just picked up new STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just picked up new STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just picked a new 2013 STi LTD , I have a question : does the computer limit power output until ...

Just picked up new STi

Just picked a new 2013 STi LTD , I have a question : does the computer limit power output until
    the car accumulates a few miles ? I previous drove an 09 WRX and it almost feels more powerful .

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not that I know of however, you should be staying under 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles. If you are doing that then it might feel a little less powerful.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

No.

How many miles are on it? It will take a little bit for the car to get through break in period and learn fueling trims and so on if it's brand new.

The 2009-2013 WRXs have similar 0-60 times. The overall power numbers aren't too far off from each other either, so you won't notice too terribly much difference. You will notice a major difference in handling, suspension, braking, and so on.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the car
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Congrats on your STI...post some PICS when you get a chance.
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

A few miles, under 25. The ECU starts off with reduced timing whenever it's reset. It learns that it's safe to add full advance relatively quickly.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

your 09 wrx was probably faster 0-60 than your sti. so thats probably what your feeling. also you really should be following the break in of under 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles anyways. its hard i know. im at 560 miles and havent even had it over 3k i dont think. but a proper easy break in will help not only the motor but the transmission and diffs and all that need to break in as well. a lot of ppl forget that every part of the car needs some time to break in

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    your 09 wrx was probably faster 0-60 than your sti. so thats probably what your feeling. also you really should be following the break in of under 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles anyways. its hard i know. im at 560 miles and havent even had it over 3k i dont think. but a proper easy break in will help not only the motor but the transmission and diffs and all that need to break in as well. a lot of ppl forget that every part of the car needs some time to break in
    I hope you're at least varying your engine speeds...I wouldn't hesitate to get it up into boost either. You need to make sure that it's functioning properly and broken in as well. Not saying WOT or floor it, but don't completely baby it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Progressive build up on load and rpm as you get more miles on the car.

I kept mine under 4k rpm/low load and rarely hit any boost (less than 5lbs) for the first 500 miles.

Past that I kept it under 4500 rpm for the most part, and just increased the load and boost levels over the last 500 miles.

Smooth runs up and down the rev band are what I tried to do most of the time.

Just my $.02
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

I used to design automotive plants and each one I visited (Ford, Toyota, GM, Honda) would take their finished cars and put them on a dyno and floor it, revving the engine as high as it would go. They'd hold that for a short time (30-60s) and then take it off. Breaking in a new engine is certainly something to do, but I don't think it is as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. Obviously don't go around red lining it, but you should be good to keep it under 3-4k for the first 250-500 miles and then get it up around 6 for the next 250-500, but work through the range - no double clutching. After that start going at it a little more "normally".

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I used to design automotive plants and each one I visited (Ford, Toyota, GM, Honda) would take their finished cars and put them on a dyno and floor it, revving the engine as high as it would go. They'd hold that for a short time (30-60s) and then take it off. Breaking in a new engine is certainly something to do, but I don't think it is as fragile as everyone makes it out to be. Obviously don't go around red lining it, but you should be good to keep it under 3-4k for the first 250-500 miles and then get it up around 6 for the next 250-500, but work through the range - no double clutching. After that start going at it a little more "normally".
    lol, not this misinformation again.........
    this load of crap has been floating around the interwebz for decades now.

want a bit of truth OP?

here it is, if your car wasnt hand assembled, then it wasnt run on a dyno right off the assembly line.

currently only makers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc have dedicated tracks and dyno's. they dont use them to "break in" their motors. they use them to make sure that the hand assembled engines make the advertized horsepower before being sent of to the buyer....

Just picked up new STi

Just change the oil as soon as you get it and drive it how you're gonna drive it good god. My 11 wrx did feel a bit more radical in boost compared to my 13 sti.

Just picked up new STi

Better make sure you read the directions before you operate your new television set also because the box says so. Lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard that bit about manufacturers dyno testing cars before, and always doubted it. It would put a serious cramp on the efficiency of a manufacturing line to take that much time out for each car.

It's possible that a given manufacturer may do this with a statistical sampling, like once every hundred cars, or something...or perhaps at the beginning of a production run, to confirm that the process is where they want it to be.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

My point wasn't to say that they test every car. It was more that they don't baby them or adhere to any "break-in" period. I don't think they would be watching the power charts while doing this...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast