Just picked up new STi - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

This is a discussion on Just picked up new STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by T0rque ??? Not sure if cereal Oh sorry, maybe this helps... .....

  1. #31
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    ??? Not sure if cereal
    Oh sorry, maybe this helps...
    ..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,276
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Oh sorry, maybe this helps...
    ..
    Ray wins the thread
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  4. #33
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    Gotta to be the crappiest, hastiest PS work I've ever done. Horrid.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  5. #34
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,510
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Some people grow up in shops and arounds things with motors and know how motors operate. Some or most people can't even change their own oil, that's who the break in period is for. The common public, there are things you can do with a new car and things you shouldn't. When you grow up building motors and wrenching on cars you know how to properly break a motor in. I'm not against the whole manufactures break in because I know a lot of people that would wreck a motor in heart beat. Just do what ever you feel comfortable with.
    o.O my dad is a mechanic and i grew up around modified vehicles. with that being said, i followed the break in period as listed in the owners manual.


    ray, where can i get this limited edition box of Wheaties?

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  6. #35
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    521

    Just picked up new STi

    Saying that going into boost or reaching the peak of the power curve at 50 miles on the motor compared to 1000 miles on the motor is any different is completely retarded. Like I simply stated to each their own, I don't deem it needed to wait for that little magic switch in the motor to know once it hits exactly 1000 miles before I can drive the car like its intended. If you put 50 decently driven miles on the car with varied speeds and loads on the car, then change the oil to a decent oil and to rid of any particles or foreign objects in the oil the car will be perfectly ok and the motor will be just as broke in as it would be at 1000 miles. If you have arrogant comments that just makes you look like to tool.

  7. #36
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    521

    Just picked up new STi

    What I'm simply saying is, that if you go over 4000 rpms, hit boost or whatever it may be its not going to hurt the car if you do it before 1000 miles.

  8. #37
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    ray, where can i get this limited edition box of Wheaties?
    Send $20 through PayPal to: 0ldF4rtWith2ManyH0bb!es@gmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    I don't deem it needed to wait for that little magic switch in the motor to know once it hits exactly 1000 miles before I can drive the car like its intended. If you put 50 decently driven miles on the car with varied speeds and loads on the car, then change the oil to a decent oil and to rid of any particles or foreign objects in the oil the car will be perfectly ok and the motor will be just as broke in as it would be at 1000 miles.
    It's quite possible that you are correct. I think where people are getting rubbed the wrong way is the implication that "following the owner's manual is for people that don't even know how to change oil". I've had engines apart, rebuilt them, and have an engineering degree, but will likely follow the manual's recommendation when/if I get a new vehicle. Seems like the safe way to go, to protect my investment.

    It's a hotly debated topic in many places; your viewpoint has merits. Let's not worry about it, any more. Make sense?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  9. #38
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    521

    Just picked up new STi

    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Send $20 through PayPal to: 0ldF4rtWith2ManyH0bb!es@gmail.com



    It's quite possible that you are correct. I think where people are getting rubbed the wrong way is the implication that "following the owner's manual is for people that don't even know how to change oil". I've had engines apart, rebuilt them, and have an engineering degree, but will likely follow the manual's recommendation when/if I get a new vehicle. Seems like the safe way to go, to protect my investment.

    It's a hotly debated topic in many places; your viewpoint has merits. Let's not worry about it, any more. Make sense?
    I respect your response. :-)

  10. #39
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Saying that going into boost or reaching the peak of the power curve at 50 miles on the motor compared to 1000 miles on the motor is any different is completely retarded. Like I simply stated to each their own, I don't deem it needed to wait for that little magic switch in the motor to know once it hits exactly 1000 miles before I can drive the car like its intended. If you put 50 decently driven miles on the car with varied speeds and loads on the car, then change the oil to a decent oil and to rid of any particles or foreign objects in the oil the car will be perfectly ok and the motor will be just as broke in as it would be at 1000 miles. If you have arrogant comments that just makes you look like to tool.
    And you may be right.

    But once again.

    Show me empirical data that your way is just as good or better than the manufacturer's recommendation.

    If you don't have any, then I will always, in the future, follow manufacturer recommendations. And I will also continue to suggest to new owners that they do the same.

    Further: For you to state that those of us supporting factory break-in are "completely retarded," when there is no data showing that another way is in fact better, to my mind is irresponsible when it comes to new owners. It is 1000 miles...these cars should last way longer than 100,000 miles. What is the harm in suggesting that people should follow the break-in for the first 1000? Again, there is no data suggesting that there is any. Only anecdotes.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  11. #40
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,789
    I Support ClubWRX
    We're going in circles...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •