Just picked up new STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

This is a discussion on Just picked up new STi within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Pretty Boy My point wasn't to say that they test every car. It was more that they ...

  1. #16
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My point wasn't to say that they test every car. It was more that they don't baby them or adhere to any "break-in" period. I don't think they would be watching the power charts while doing this...
    So...then why do they have a break in period specified in the owners manual?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So...then why do they have a break in period specified in the owners manual?
    This. Everyone can make the call for themselves..but if the manual says to break it in, I can't come up with a lot of reasons not to do so.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  4. #18
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,158
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

    Re: Just picked up new STi

    The youth require rebellion against their parent [automakers].

    Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  5. #19
    The Member michaelwfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North GA
    Posts
    3,541
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So...then why do they have a break in period specified in the owners manual?
    Because they're stupid obviously. What does Subaru know? It's not like the designed the car or anything...
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

    My "Build" Thread!

    2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

  6. #20
    Registered User 11blackwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,830
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So...then why do they have a break in period specified in the owners manual?
    Can't hurt anything following it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

  7. #21
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    522

    Just picked up new STi

    Some people grow up in shops and arounds things with motors and know how motors operate. Some or most people can't even change their own oil, that's who the break in period is for. The common public, there are things you can do with a new car and things you shouldn't. When you grow up building motors and wrenching on cars you know how to properly break a motor in. I'm not against the whole manufactures break in because I know a lot of people that would wreck a motor in heart beat. Just do what ever you feel comfortable with.

  8. #22
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,158
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

    Re: Just picked up new STi

    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Some people grow up in shops and arounds things with motors and know how motors operate. Some or most people can't even change their own oil, that's who the break in period is for. The common public, there are things you can do with a new car and things you shouldn't. When you grow up building motors and wrenching on cars you know how to properly break a motor in. I'm not against the whole manufactures break in because I know a lot of people that would wreck a motor in heart beat. Just do what ever you feel comfortable with.
    Seems you are the expert

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  9. #23
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,985
    Or...a car has a break in period for a reason. I've heard tons of engine builders specify to break in freshly built engines that they just did.

    Obviously they haven't been building engines long enough either...they have a lot to learn.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  10. #24
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,970
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    This. Everyone can make the call for themselves..but if the manual says to break it in, I can't come up with a lot of reasons not to do so.
    Because I need to be able to go as fast as I want to at mile 1, I can't wait til mile 1000 that's way too long!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  11. #25
    Registered User starkall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    522

    Just picked up new STi

    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Seems you are the expert

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Sure am

  12. #26
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,970
    Oy this argument.

    Show me empirical evidence that one method differs from the other and I will be convinced. To date, I have never seen any.

    Therefore, I did what the people who built the car suggest I do. It's only 1000 miles.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  13. #27
    zax
    zax is offline
    \_(ツ)_/ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,158
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Oy this argument.

    Show me empirical evidence that one method differs from the other and I will be convinced. To date, I have never seen any.

    Therefore, I did what the people who built the car suggest I do. It's only 1000 miles.
    I agree completely.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  14. #28
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,004
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Show me empirical evidence that one method differs from the other and I will be convinced. To date, I have never seen any.
    Therefore, I did what the people who built the car suggest I do. It's only 1000 miles.
    I disagree with 100% of this statement.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  15. #29
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,521
    I Support ClubWRX

    Just picked up new STi

    Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Some people grow up in shops and arounds things with motors and know how motors operate. Some or most people can't even change their own oil, that's who the break in period is for. The common public, there are things you can do with a new car and things you shouldn't. When you grow up building motors and wrenching on cars you know how to properly break a motor in. I'm not against the whole manufactures break in because I know a lot of people that would wreck a motor in heart beat. Just do what ever you feel comfortable with.
    No.

    The engine manufacturer has done numerous testing, engineering and exacting of what THEY build. THEY are not some engine builder with 30 years of trade experience who knows how to break in a Chevy V8, Honda B18C, Ford 2.3.. With OEM block, crank, aftermarket rods, aftermarket pistons. Each manufacturer sets a different engine break in procedure that should be followed for the best life of THE product THEY manufacture.
    Honda, Yamaha, BMW, Ford, Moto Guzzi, Fuji, Kawasaki, Stihl, Cummins, Detroit, I don't care what it is.. THEY absolutely know better than you, do as THEY say to get the best results.


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

  16. #30
    Moderator T0rque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    25,521
    I Support ClubWRX

    Just picked up new STi

    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I disagree with 100% of this statement.
    ??? Not sure if cereal


    Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •