Question about adding two oem accessories DIY?

This is a discussion on Question about adding two oem accessories DIY? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just as thread title says. I really would like to add the OEM, Spt Boost guage. I have a question ...

Question about adding two oem accessories DIY?

Just as thread title says. I really would like to add the OEM, Spt Boost guage. I have a question if I purchased this guage either from a Subbie dealer or fleabay is it DIY friendly? I see it mounts on top of the instrument housing. Are the the wires already there and if not do you plumb or tap a line into the turbo housing?

Second are the OEM fogs, is everything already there or do I need to hook up the wiring harness or buy and install a new stalk on the colomn for the switch?

Thanks in advance for any info or help.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's a video on how to install the boost gauge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1reVvBNsAcc

And for the fogs you have to get the fog lights with the headlight stalk with the fog switch, but the harness for the lights themselves should already be there.

I Support ClubWRX
    for the price of the spt boost gauge I decided to purchase the SMY cluster and a prosport gauge (I know some people are not a fan but I like it) and oil pressure that way I dont need to drill into the dash shroud.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Just as thread title says. I really would like to add the OEM, Spt Boost guage. I have a question if I purchased this guage either from a Subbie dealer or fleabay is it DIY friendly? I see it mounts on top of the instrument housing. Are the the wires already there and if not do you plumb or tap a line into the turbo housing?

Second are the OEM fogs, is everything already there or do I need to hook up the wiring harness or buy and install a new stalk on the colomn for the switch?

How much is the SPT boost gauge? Could probably get a better one for less $$$ (as cflip2x inplied).

I am looking at doing the fog lights my self, mine has the switch built in to the turn signal switch. And I noticed that there is pre wired to the bumper. Just gotta get the housing and the lights (but dont know where to find them)

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrewcasey View Post
    I am looking at doing the fog lights my self, mine has the switch built in to the turn signal switch. And I noticed that there is pre wired to the bumper. Just gotta get the housing and the lights (but dont know where to find them)
    How did you get a car without fogs, but still has switch on stalk? Did you buy a used WRX and maybe the PO removed the fogs? If it was a new car I wonder if it were a factory mess up? I will look when I get home but I don't think my '13 WRX base has the switch.
    Current vehicles:

I'd skip the SPT boost gauge if you didn't pay for it already. Its pretty poor quality and has been known to break (lights burn out, inconsistent readings) and spend that money on a Defi or AEM or something else of quality.

I'm pretty sure they all come wired and ready for the foglights, including the switch...you just need to buy and install the lights, brackets, and surrounds.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Both installs should be very easy but id most likely get some different parts than stock spt things. Hella lights that fit and a different brand gauge.

Where do you tap into under the hood for a boost guage? I was also wondering if anyone makes a pillar mount for 2008+ I've seen them for the bug/blob/hawk gens but never seen one on the current. Im willing to go that route if there was something clean with an oem or near match.
    Current vehicles:

You just use a T connector off of the BPV line.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Where do you tap into under the hood for a boost guage? I was also wondering if anyone makes a pillar mount for 2008+ I've seen them for the bug/blob/hawk gens but never seen one on the current. Im willing to go that route if there was something clean with an oem or near match.
    You should find this on a search in here. Mine is connected to one of the lines coming off the intake manifold. You want to connect to a good manifold pressure source, downstream of the throttle body.

Or what ^ he said

Great, thanks.
    Current vehicles:

make sure you ask about warranty problems first to make sure u can install different brand things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    make sure you ask about warranty problems first to make sure u can install different brand things.
    Now you're just being silly.

Re: Question about adding two oem accessories DIY?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I'm pretty sure they all come wired and ready for the foglights, including the switch...you just need to buy and install the lights, brackets, and surrounds.
    They might be prewired, but I'm pretty sure the switch is not there.. When i got my car it had the original blinker stalk in a box along with the blank plates for where the lights go.