Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct. - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; BBC News - Cats killing billions of animals in the US This may give you an idea about how destructive ...

BBC News - Cats killing billions of animals in the US

This may give you an idea about how destructive cats are.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by atr11 View Post
    BBC News - Cats killing billions of animals in the US

This may give you an idea about how destructive cats are.
    Yes, but lets remember who's fault this actually is - humans. There are many pet owners who refuse to or just can't be bothered to spay and neuter their animals. If pet owners were more responsible, there'd be far fewer stray and feral cats. I still don't believe a feral cat deserves to be shot just because it was born. Humans are way more destructive, but it's not ok to shoot us for some reason. Stray and feral cats are killing to survive. Some of us do it simply for fun. Like we somehow have a right to do that. I'm not a vegetarian (yet), but it's certainly thought provoking.

If you see stray or feral cats in your neighborhood, try to find a rescue house or a no-kill shelter. If you call animal control, they'll be dead within a week.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Humans are way more destructive, but it's not ok to shoot us for some reason.
    This is true. No matter how you feel about animals, it is not OK to shoot humans.

Now, I'm not crazy about cats (I'm allergic, for one) and I know if I were to die and remain accessible to them they'd almost certainly eat my mortal remains; however I also don't advocate harming animals when it is unnecessary.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    A few thoughts and then we should probably drop this whole thing before someone takes something personally (although that would definitely not be me).

I did say that if there is somewhere to take them you should.

I don't really see the logic of saying that humans created the problem but shouldn't step up to deal with it. The cat doesn't have this moral dilemma - it is hungry so it is a killer. It goes about killing other things that don't deserve to die either, in mass. In terms of the loss to life of a whole species, the killing of an escaped individual from a domestic source with a enormous population that is bolstered by human efforts is absolutely insignificant. Just because it makes a fluffy if indifferent pet gives it some "rights"? Picture that fluffy kitty killing and eating the very last representative of a species that evolved for tens of thousands of years and will never come back - that is the cat I see in a "feral cat". Sorry, it has to go, and if pet owners can't stop this in the first place someone has to in the second.
    Last edited by mycologist; 02-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    A few thoughts and then we should probably drop this whole thing before someone takes something personally (although that would definitely not be me).

Before I said anything about shooting them, I said that if there is somewhere to take them you should.

I don't really see the logic of saying that humans created the problem but shouldn't step up to deal with it. The cat doesn't have this moral dilemma - it is hungry so it is a killer. It goes about killing other things that don't deserve to die either, in mass. In terms of the loss to life of a whole species, the killing of an escaped individual from a domestic source with a enormous population that is bolstered by human efforts is absolutely insignificant. Just because it makes a fluffy if indifferent pet gives it some "rights"? Picture that fluffy kitty killing and eating the very last representative of a species that evolved for tens of thousands of years and will never come back - that is the cat I see in a "feral cat". Sorry, it has to go, and if pet owners can't stop this in the first place someone has to in the second.

Yes, I agree with you. I think we've talked this to death and I apologize to the OP for contributing to taking this off topic.

I wasn't suggesting that humans shouldn't step up to deal with the problem we created. But, yes, of course a "fluffy if indifferent pet" deserves rights. Every animal deserves rights. Why should humans have rights but animals shouldn't? If you believe in evolution, we used to be apes. We're just another evolving animal. We're no more special than any other animal.

I just don't think it fair to put cats or dogs down when it wasn't their fault for being born. But I understand we all feel differently about this and accept that. I do think, however, that we all would agree that we don't want feral or stray cats around... for whatever reason. So I believe the most effective thing we can all do to stop that is to strongly encourage our friends and families to spay and neuter their cats and dogs. Then I wouldn't have to defend the "fluffy if indifferent" creatures who can't speak for themselves

I Support ClubWRX
    Last thing I'll say, I promise -

I teach evolution, and it is a fact that we are apes (that is the group we are currently classified in).

I'm all for your solution of having pet owners spay and neuter. The more of that that happens the better. I just don't know how you are going to get someone like Bubbles to get with the program.

The idea of live trapping a feral cat, spay or neuter it, and then release is great too. I just don't see that the massive effort involved vs the number of willing people to participate will ever equate to taking a dent out of the already established populations. Populations below carrying capacity grow exponentially and I think your conception of the reproductive rate is mis-calibrated.

This is what a 25% death rate does to a population - only delays the inevitable. Obviously bacteria have a higher growth rate than cats, but given they can have multiple litters with multiple individuals the shape of the curve would still play out the same over a longer time frame. We are talking about a population that is estimated at 70 million. Given that spay and neuter basically equates to mortality in terms of population growth, you could probably do tens of millions of them and have absolutely no effect.

Frankly, the cat itself, and really any other carnivorous animal, disagrees with your concept of animal rights. The cat has the philosophy that every bird has the right to be in its belly, or even just dead and left on your stoop.

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess we need to get something done before we become the Planet of the Cats! It's a little hard for me to deal with the idea of Dr. Zaius purring..

--Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX

Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I just don't know how you are going to get someone like Bubbles to get with the program.
    See the episode titled Conky where this is addressed. One of my faves.

Season 4, Episode 5.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 02-05-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    See the episode titled Conky where this is addressed. One of my faves.

Season 4, Episode 5.

I've been going through them recently - quite amusing.

I Support ClubWRX

Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct.

Changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I guess we need to get something done before we become the Planet of the Cats! It's a little hard for me to deal with the idea of Dr. Zaius purring..

Ray wins
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    That was a good one, for sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.