Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct. - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 88

This is a discussion on Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If it is really feral cats they have to go. Sorry I know we all love kitties, but if these ...

  1. #31
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,781
    I Support ClubWRX
    If it is really feral cats they have to go. Sorry I know we all love kitties, but if these are not owned by someone they need to be controlled. They are killing machines - how many critters like pretty birds do you think need to die to keep it alive? Sorry, no compunction and I would not apologize for shooting them. It is common practice in many rural areas and it needs to be.

    If it were a native animal I'd say get a live trap and relocate them. Obviously if you can find somewhere to take a cat if you were to trap it where they would feed it go for that.

    A pellet gun is a bit light unless it is .22 and pretty fast. Even then I'd prefer you use a real .22 or better to be confident of a humane result.

    The antifreeze idea sucks though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User 99pgpgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    251

    Re: Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct.

    I had a couple cats coming around my house a few years back. Didn't mind it until they started scratching up the window screens. So, I sprinkled cyan pepper all around the deck.. Instantly, they never came back around.

  4. #33
    Registered User SlapChop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17
    Cat and kitten repellant. Aerosol spray. My cats were trying to pull my fish out of my tank and I sprayed a lil on the hood of the tank and they want nothing to do with the fish now. Wall mart sells it. Maybe a quick spray inside your duct would keep them out

  5. #34
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    12,781
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    snip
    Classic - I was going to look for that.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  6. #35
    Registered User Obeisance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    247
    If you can, please catch the feral cats which like to get into subaru engine bays and give them to me. I think that they might finally take care of the squirrels in my engine bay- they're always chewing up pine cones and making big mulchy messes.
    David - '05 WRX

  7. #36
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,899
    I Support ClubWRX
    Buncha cat haters.

    I guess I'm a little too pacifistic for the discussion...I'd have to see a lot more going on than just a cat instinctively seeking out warmth before I'd whip out the rifle and start shooting.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  8. #37
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,767
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Buncha cat haters.

    I guess I'm a little too pacifistic for the discussion...I'd have to see a lot more going on than just a cat instinctively seeking out warmth before I'd whip out the rifle and start shooting.
    Especially when it is situated on the hood of my car. OP's problem is at work I understand. Lol, it would look out of place if he were to pull out a gun & start shooting up the office parking lot.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  9. #38
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,899
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Lol, it would look out of place if he were to pull out a gun & start shooting up the office parking lot.
    I work with a number of country boys, and many of us are gun owners. It might not phase as many people here as you'd imagine. That said, it's illegal to randomly shoot guns in the city limits, last time I checked (and should be, of course). Also, I'd like to believe that most of these guys wouldn't just start shooting at any old cat that walks by...I could very well be wrong about that, though.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  10. #39
    Registered User Ingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    1,110
    Going postal, he?
    I say "kill'em all, let God sort'em out"
    If anyone recalls where that came from...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

  11. #40
    Luke Skywalker Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    It's a domesticated species. Not that the "domesticated" part is really the point. How would you like to be shot while just minding your own business, looking for a warm place to take a nap? We're all made of the same basic stuff. The only difference between us and them is that they don't speak English. I'm simply asking for a little empathy, that's all.
    Sorry if you support PETA or the like...but it is not a domesticated species. They were once from a domesticated family perhaps, but they are nothing like that. I guess we shouldn't shoot and kill the feral hogs that plague the south by destroying crops, other species, and land. I guess we shouldn't kill the dingos in the outback of Austrailia that are basically a type of feral species that steal, run off, kill and maim babies. I mean that's not the extent of a feral cat of course...but I bet if you went to pet it, it'd more than likely bite your ass and give you rabies.

    And there is quite a little bit of difference. If I were to just sneak into your house, claiming not to speak English, just to take a nap in a warm place, how would you take it? For granted I'm not the first person to just go shoot anything. I don't even have a gun of my own and what I said was more of a joke than anything. Seriously who would even shoot a gun towards their car in the first place??? Guess we just have some differences here though and we'll have to deal with them. I do offer you empathy simply because it's your opinion and I respect that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  12. #41
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    46,899
    I Support ClubWRX
    He errs towards kindness to all living creatures. I won't fault him for that a bit.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  13. #42
    and the Funky Bunch Calvinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Philly Area
    Posts
    5,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I guess we shouldn't kill the dingos in the outback of Austrailia that are basically a type of feral species that steal, run off, kill and maim babies.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

  14. #43
    Moderator rage-wrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yonkers/NYC
    Posts
    10,767
    I Support ClubWRX

    Re: Feral cats sitting in intercooler duct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    that was actually on just yesterday on TBS. BOSCO
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

    The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread


    Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

  15. #44
    Registered User Ruh Roh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pottstown PA
    Posts
    3,225
    call the SPCA or whoever collects stray cats next time you see it. try to catch it.

  16. #45
    Registered User Soobvirgin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    I'm all for figuring this out without injuring/harming anyone, but saying "The only difference between us and them is that they don't speak English," is ridiculous.
    I don't think so. Humans come in all shapes, sizes and colors. But we're all made of the same basic ingredients, just in differing amounts. Animals are no different - they're made of the same basic ingredients as us. In our basic make up, we're no different than animals. Some can climb well, some can run really fast, some can fly. We just happened to end up with bigger brains. That doesn't make us special - just different. Just because animals don't speak English doesn't mean they don't have feelings and emotions.

    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    They are killing machines - how many critters like pretty birds do you think need to die to keep it alive? Sorry, no compunction and I would not apologize for shooting them. It is common practice in many rural areas and it needs to be.
    Respectfully, I disagree. They are indeed "killing machines", but they catch many rodents and other critters that we don't want around. They really don't kill that many birds. Birds don't hang around on the ground for very long. But, I'm ok with that anyway. Cats aren't killing birds or rodents for fun or because they're a nuisance. They're killing them for food. I have no interest in interfering with the food chain. However, I do agree that we don't need feral cats roaming the neighborhoods just trying to survive. The responsible thing to do is "TNR" - trap, neuter, release. We did it just a few weeks ago with a feral cat who had been hanging around our house. We spent a couple of months feeding it every night and eventually trapped it and took it (by pre-arranged appointment) to be neutered. There are several charitable organizations who will do this for free if your local vet won't. The cat gets to live but isn't able to breed, so eventually the feral cat population dies off - naturally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I guess we shouldn't shoot and kill the feral hogs that plague the south by destroying crops, other species, and land. I guess we shouldn't kill the dingos in the outback of Austrailia that are basically a type of feral species that steal, run off, kill and maim babies. I mean that's not the extent of a feral cat of course...but I bet if you went to pet it, it'd more than likely bite your ass and give you rabies.

    And there is quite a little bit of difference. If I were to just sneak into your house, claiming not to speak English, just to take a nap in a warm place, how would you take it? For granted I'm not the first person to just go shoot anything. I don't even have a gun of my own and what I said was more of a joke than anything. Seriously who would even shoot a gun towards their car in the first place??? Guess we just have some differences here though and we'll have to deal with them. I do offer you empathy simply because it's your opinion and I respect that.
    Well, no. I don't think feral hogs or dingos should be shot. For the most part, the animals were here before us and we should learn to live with them. If hogs and dingos are taking our crops and babies, we should be doing a better job of protecting those things. I have two outdoor cats (one stray showed up pregnant) who sleep in the garage at night. If I fail to ensure they're safely locked in there at night and they get eaten by a coyote, that's not the coyote's fault. It's mine, because I made a promise to them to keep them safe. There's no such thing as an evil animal (although I think some primates are smart enough to come close!). Coyotes are just hungry.

    Incidentally, if a cat is truly feral, you'll have little chance of getting close enough to it for it to bite you. But if you did, it would bite because you were scaring it. But, honestly, if you provoked me by getting in my personal space, I might bite too.

    And if you snuck into my house that wouldn't be acceptable because you know the difference... unless you happened to have a mental illness. In just the same way as if you wandered into a pack of wolves while they were eating a fresh kill. NOT acceptable to the wolves. But does that mean you deserve to be shot? No. You just didn't understand that wasn't ok. Cats don't understand what's socially acceptable in human society.


    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    He errs towards kindness to all living creatures. I won't fault him for that a bit.
    Thank you, Ray. I appreciate that very much.

    I've been fortunate enough to have some animals that were truly family members. I have a chicken who runs to me across the yard when she sees me. Not because I bring food, but because she trusts me. I have goats who love to play chase. And when we nursed our neighbor's cow back to health, it loved to play chase too. Yes, I have video footage of me being chased by and chasing a cow. It understood the game.

    Just because animals can't manage a human language, shouldn't mean they deserve any less respect than humans. Animals are frickin' amazing. We just have to take the time to notice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •