Pleasantly surprised at my mpgs
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pleasantly surprised at my mpgs within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; After my first full tank fill up I can report my trip computer mpg calculator is pretty accurate. It's reading ...

Pleasantly surprised at my mpgs

After my first full tank fill up I can report my trip computer mpg calculator is pretty accurate. It's reading 24 mpgs. Which according to my at the pump calculations is almost spot on. considering I've been driving 85% stop and go city I consider this highly acceptable! Lol.

after hearing everyone complain about poor fuel economy I was expecting about 19-20 average. So 24 is a pleasant surprise. Now keep in mind I've been driving like a gramma since its not broken in yet. But it's nice to know it can get decent fuel economy with enough restraint
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	111325

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did a 4hr round trip to visit family a few weeks back, mostly highway but a little city driving while I was there too. When I got back I checked the trip calculator and I averaged 25mpg. And I didn't drive like a grandma. Lol didn't race it either but on the 2 lane highway that we took I set the cruise to 70. I was hearing about poor mpg in here too but I was very impressed to find that.

I Support ClubWRX
    When I drive to new hampshire on the back highways (speed limit 40-55) and I average about 50-60 mph I can actually get 27-29 mpg...I think that speed zone is the sweet spot for mpg's...If i am going above 70 on the interstate I get about 19mpg, and in the city I'm lucky if I get 16. This time of year warming up in the morning kills my mpg too. Overall not too bad compared to my old blazer that got 10-12 mpg!

I just switched from a scion Xb in which I would average a combined 29 miles to the gallon no matter how I drove. Sometime I miss that until I drive my subie then I'm like, no nevermind, 19 is fine. Lol

If you actually take note of when you fill up and do mileage calculations, you'll likely get a better result. The mpg calculator on the car is known to be off a smidgen.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Considering my Rex is rated at 18/25mpg by the feds, I have been suprised at getting 28+ in the summer and 25+ in the winter, with about 50/50 city/hiway driving. Now, this is commuting mostly, with a few spirited runs up the hiway on-ramps. With gas prices coming down a bit now, you can't beat the mileage/performance combo of the WRX, at least in my book.

A friend has a '10 Evo MR, and he has barely been able to break 20mpg on a long highway trip running at only 65mph. He averages 15mpg most of the time. That Evo really moves though ... can't talk him into taking it to the drag strip to get a time, and we won't be racing on public roads, but my guess is his stock Evo is about as fast as my Stage 2+ '09 Rex. Advantage: WRX by 10 or 12 mpg. Amazing !!!

Re: Pleasantly surprised at my mpgs

Your Clearly not having any fun driving your car
    I payed attention to my MPGs the first few months i had my wrx, but now i don't check it at all. The trip computer was always off from the actual math.

05 STI with 123k on the clock...I never break 20mpgs...and I drive like a grandmother now
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    It's all about where you drive, and how you drive. I cruise at 68-69mph on a beltway for 40% of my commute...a little bit of stop and go, and then country roads, otherwise, and get between 24 and 25mpg. I usually shift around 4K, and hit the throttle pretty hard and rev when an occasion opens up. This is on a 2.5 hybrid with 18G. It's weird to me that you guys with stock WRX's are getting teens. It could be city driving.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 01-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you actually take note of when you fill up and do mileage calculations, you'll likely get a better result. The mpg calculator on the car is known to be off a smidgen.
    thats exactly what i did. i dont trust the mpg computers. but it was actually pretty close. after doing the math it came out to 23.54xxxxxxxxx close enough lol

I Support ClubWRX
    I was getting up to 30mpg on the regular with my WRX...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Well im getting 19.8 mpg's in my car but its brand new with only 413 miles on it so im sure it should go up! Plus i live in the mountains and im sure driving up and down mountains and city driving every time is probably worse then just city driving mixed with highway.. Also i traded a new Focus ST for my new WRX and that car was rated at 25 city and 32 highway and i averaged 22.6 with that car! So im pretty pleased that my subie that is rated for 7 MPG's less then the ST is getting almost close to the same mileage and once its broke in im sure it will get the same! Good Job Ford..LOL

i had switched to the Stage 2 Economy Mode when i put my winter steelies and snows on. my MPG didn't really change at all. i was still pumping 93 too.

i put my Protune back on because the differeance was only .3 on the trip computer.

my trip computer is off by almost 1 mile. it reads 21.0 right now... with the Stage 2 Economy mode, it was reading 21.3. so i'm getting 20ish MPG with 70% city 30% highway driving. yes, i do drop the hammer occasionally. no complaints.

my magnum was giving me 13.5 in the same conditions. at least it took 89 though.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's all about where you drive, and how you drive. I cruise at 68-69mph on a beltway for 40% of my commute...a little bit of stop and go, and then country roads, otherwise, and get between 24 and 25mpg. I usually shift around 4K, and hit the throttle pretty hard and rev when an occasion opens up. This is on a 2.5 hybrid with 18G. It's weird to me that you guys with stock WRX's are getting teens. It could be city driving.
    City driving kills it. If I stay under 70 on the highway I can easily be up around 28ish. My commute, which is all city, nets me at best 20 or so.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

23 mpg sounds about right for a stock tune. Stage 1 expect 21 mpg while driving like a grammaw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.