Question about horsepower and reliability, and a wing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about horsepower and reliability, and a wing within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone I am new to any kind of foruming but I was curious about my car and performance parts. ...

Question about horsepower and reliability, and a wing

Hi everyone I am new to any kind of foruming but I was curious about my car and performance parts. I built my own cat back exhaust and I bought the Cobb sf intake system. Now I am just waiting to make some more money for the Cobb AP. I was going to start with stage one just so it isnít to rough on the engine and I was wondering how much power I would have with the exhaust, intake and tune. Is there any other tune besides just the one for the Cobb intake? I have heard Cobb makes a tune if u also have other performance parts like an exhaust. I plan on going to stage 2 eventually but I was wondering if u should get a new intercooler first just for safety of the engine. I would like a down pipe at the same time. Let the turbo flow better but also put more boost into it. I am relatively new to the 4 cylinder world yet alone the forced induction one. I have had two camaro both naturally aspirated and at 400 horse. i dont want to have a crazy build on this car, atleast not yet because it is my everyday driver and i am sick of workign on cars for little while. never buy a 97 camaro or near that and work on them. they ****ing suck to work on in a garage without a hoist. but anyways any one have suggestions for what i should do.

stage two do i need an intercooler?
    Are there different maps with Cobb AP that have more than just for an intake system?

Second thing was, I am looking for the sti wing, preferably in black, for a 2008 wrx hatch. I donít like the rear wing on the wrx hatch it is way too small. I like how the sti wing accents the rear. I donít want the big ass wrc wing I just want the regular sti wing that the 2008-2013 hatch has. Anyone knows where I can purchase one. I found a carbon fiber one for like 550$ but I donít really want to spend that much nor do I need carbon fiber.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb offers a tune for their intake at S1/S2 power levels. I wouldn't install it until you have a way to deal with the MAF scaling.

You shouldn't need an intercooler at S1/S2 power levels. There is no base map offered by Cobb that will account for this. It could put you into untuned load cells, which could cause issues. You'd only know by datalogging.

You can get custom tunes instead of base maps like Cobb.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Cobb's website details typical gains to be had with each of their maps. All the off the shelf maps Cobb has for the AP are available for download on their website, and the notes for each map detail what mods they are specifically designed to be used with.

Stage two by definition is a car with an aftermarket downpipe and tune ONLY. There is no need for an aftermarket intercooler, and with the Cobb map that is not designed to utilize one you will see virtually no gain from upgrading it. Be careful when deviating from the notes for the specific map you are using.. while installing an aftermarket top mount intercooler probably wouldn't hurt anything, there are plenty of other mods that could potentially cause severe damage to the engine without being propperly tuned for.

As far as the wing.. you might be able to find a used one on nasioc.

If you have a 2008 your best early mod would be a VF52 (2009+ turbo) and a tune. Bolts right on and they are decently cheap and easy to find used.

A stage 2 2008 WRX is almost as quick as a stock 2009 WRX due to the different turbos.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I agree with getting a VF52 and an 09+ OTS map. Basically it's like bolting on 40-50 hp

thanks guys. yea my mom has the 2011 wrx and it just dominates me. i might look into that turbo. right now i am looking for the Cobb AP cause i already have the intake just sitting in my room.

oh one more thing if i were to get a down piper then should i wait until i get the new turbo. it looks like the DP's are different between 09 and 08 i am guessing because the turbos are different.

The 08 and 09 should be the same...the turbo was what was different (and why STI turbos can't be used on the WRXs, as they were laid out similarly to Legacy GTs).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Re: Question about horsepower and reliability, and a wing

08+ is the same 5 bolt dp

sweet thank you very much you guys made my life much easier. i have my plan to buy my down piper then when i get my degree and job to buy the turbo or a new sti

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.