Thinking about getting back in the Subaru game
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting back in the Subaru game within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I sold my 2009 WRX sedan several months ago, and it's definitely left a void. I mostly just miss having ...

Thinking about getting back in the Subaru game

I sold my 2009 WRX sedan several months ago, and it's definitely left a void. I mostly just miss having a four door sedan with AWD.

I've been thinking about purchasing a older WRX outright, possibly a 2004-2007. I've mostly been looking at the 2005 models because of the cheaper price point.

I've also been considering purchasing a late model Legacy GT (2005+) since it reflects the fact that I'm getting older, and would probably rather have something more low key. Most drivers out there probably don't even know what a Legacy is, let alone the GT model.

I have little interest in modifying a EJ20 or EJ25, but I'd like to have a decent spring and shock combination for my daily driving. Possibly some front and rear sway bars with upgraded endlinks. I've already been Google searching through some old threads for the 2005 WRX, and I've been the thinking about Tein H Tech springs with Tokico Shocks.

What does everyone feel is the most worthwhile and reliable WRX or Legacy for daily driving?

I'd like to hear anyone's input on what I'm looking for, especially if it can help me avoid any potential mistakes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    An LGT is less likely to have been flogged, so if that fits your bill, I'd strongly consider one of them.

The only thing engine-wise I'd do with the 2.0L WRX or the LGT (don't know which years were affected, but I know '05 was) would be to get a catless uppipe. While it will give it a bit more pep and response, this is more a maintenance item so the cat doesn't break apart into the turbo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    An LGT is less likely to have been flogged, so if that fits your bill, I'd strongly consider one of them.
    LGT (don't know which years were affected, but I know '05 was) would be to get a catless uppipe
    mattypants, the 05 and up LGT were 2.5L. i thought that all turbo'd 2.5L already came catless [sti, wrx, forester, etc]. i could definitely be wrong since i'm not familiar with the legacy models but that was my impression

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

The only thing engine-wise I'd do with the 2.0L WRX or the LGT (don't know which years were affected, but I know '05 was) would be to get a catless uppipe. While it will give it a bit more pep and response, this is more a maintenance item so the cat doesn't break apart into the turbo.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reference about the WRX, I'll also look into it for the LGT.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2005 LGT, so we'll see how it goes. Should be picking it up on Sunday.

I guess I'll search on the Legacy forums for the best suspension setups for daily driving.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMedical68 View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for future reference about the WRX, I'll also look into it for the LGT.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2005 LGT, so we'll see how it goes. Should be picking it up on Sunday.

I guess I'll search on the Legacy forums for the best suspension setups for daily driving.
    Well never mind, the owner of the Legacy GT flaked on me. I won the car on eBay and not 24 hrs of winning the auction, he's claimed he totaled his daily driver and is keep the Legacy. I'd rather not press the issue, because he may have really totaled his car. It still irritates me though, because I had to cancel a airline ticket and I'm still waiting on a refund through Paypal. That's what I get for screwing with eBay again.

Guess it's back to square one.
    2009 Satin Pearl WRX Sedan - Sold
    1995 Black SC300 - DD
    1991 Black Supra - Swap in Progress
    1990 Silver Supra - 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    in all honesty, the guy canceling on you was likely in your favor. Buying a car off ebay, sight unseen, is a gamble at best. As you are only looking for a 05+ car, I would not use ebay at all.

Where are you located, and what is your budget?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    in all honesty, the guy canceling on you was likely in your favor. Buying a car off ebay, sight unseen, is a gamble at best. As you are only looking for a 05+ car, I would not use ebay at all.

Where are you located, and what is your budget?
    Middle TN, no set budget. I've mostly be using a craigslist search, the different Subaru forums that I lurk on, and Google.

I'm just not in the mood for car financing for awhile. I didn't mind the loan on my WRX, but it feels better to own something outright.

That said, if I see a car that's worthwhile I'm willing to spend a little more, that's where the price range comes in.

Also worth mentioning, I'm not trying to go with a really nice trim WRX or STi at the moment because it'll be a shared vehicle. The car can be a stockish WRX (nothing more than exhaust or suspension), Legacy GT, or even the base Impreza 2005-2009. Any of the them can be standard or auto. Only thing that really matters is mileage and reliability.

I'm probably just going to bide my time for now, maybe start back up in a few weeks.
    2009 Satin Pearl WRX Sedan - Sold
    1995 Black SC300 - DD
    1991 Black Supra - Swap in Progress
    1990 Silver Supra - 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.