Questions about MODS?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Questions about MODS? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm new to the membership forum and just want to know better... Thinking of a couple mods... -Cobb Exhaust system ...

Questions about MODS?

I'm new to the membership forum and just want to know better...

Thinking of a couple mods...

-Cobb Exhaust system or axle back? I want to know which one would sound much deeper....
    -Cobb access port
    -Cobb intake
    -Cobb BFV
    -18 Inch ROTA PWR Rims

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean by Cobb exhaust system or axelback. Do you mean catback vs axelback?

I've also never heard of Cobb BFV

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Subaru exhaust system that will make the car much deeper and louder...

plus I mean a Cobb XLE BPV

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Okay. Do you mean a full exhaust (catback and downpipe) versus just getting an axel back? Sorry. Just trying to understand what you are specifically asking.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I am personally not a big fan of Cobb products and services.. but to each their own. There are certainly worse brands to go with.

If you are going to get an AP then get a down pipe first and tune to stage 2. If that's isn't loud enough for you go with the CBE. CBE on its own doesn't do much and all you will be able to do is tune Stage 1 (which is a decent jump), but you can go stage 1 without anything added to the car.

I was in your same boat when i bought my car wish i had done some research first...

Your first purchase should be a method of tuning the car since all future mods will require tunes... don't risk the engine. You mentioned "Access Port" which isn't bad you will end up selling it and wishing you did option 2 after 6 months... Open source tuning Read: where to begin with open source tuning - NASIOC

Tuning is required for just about everything but a catback exhaust. CBE is nice, but if you are getting it just so your car is loud save your self some money go to a muffler shop and ask them to delete the resonator and send me the $500 you saved.

I would recommend with the mods you show interest in to first go to the site i linked above and undersand what Open source tuning is, if you still don't feel comfortable with it find a Subaru meet around your local area and find someone who has the cables and ask them to show you how it all works... these guys will always have the cables with them and a laptop usually covered in Subaru stickers.

Once that's done get a downpipe (non catted DP will be louder than a catted) and tune a stage 2 tune. If you like it then your set if not get a CBE. You will hear everyone tell you that you need a Turbo back exhaust for stage 2... all you need is a downpipe the restriction at below 300hp to the wheels is the factory cat and the crappy factory plate on the DP that covers half the exhaust not the mufflers.

Don't get rims... its winter you live in Colorado you will smash them.

BTW everything i said is assuming you have a 2009+ WRX or STi
    Last edited by wrx1234; 01-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I Support ClubWRX
    i prefer invidia exhausts and i wouldnt worry about a BPV the stock will hold up so i would spend the money on other mods
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx1234 View Post
    Your first purchase should be a method of tuning the car since all future mods will require tunes..

I'd have to disagree with this. Unless you are a professional tuner yourself then you don't really need to purchase the hardware to do the tuning. Assuming you are going to pay someone else to tune the car, they will already have the required hardware themselves. If your local tuner of preference only uses the AP then I guess you would have to buy one, but at near twice the cost of a tune I would just skip it and find someone that does Open Source. Any map you get from something like an AP or off the internet isn't really a tune for your car, it's just a base map that should be safe to run with the exact mods it was designed for, but it is far from ideal.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.