off roading..what should I expect ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on off roading..what should I expect ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; About to buy a wrx sedan but also tempted by the outback. what should I expect off road wise ? ...

Question off roading..what should I expect ?

About to buy a wrx sedan but also tempted by the outback. what should I expect off road wise ? Mostly high desert trails here in SoCal/Nevada with plenty of sand and couple holes/rocks...maybe some sand dunes once in while too.
    I see the outback has a higher ground clearance. Am I gonna leave the front bumper/exhaust on the trail if I gun it ?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

It's a road car. Neither is a truck. Expect better traction but just as little clearance as any road car. No more.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: off roading..what should I expect ?

I would not off road with a 3rd gen wrx. My 2nd gen has more ground clearance(vs a 3rd gen) and I'm still having to drive around medium sized rocks and potholes.

But when its nice and flat go for it(at your own risk and don't forget to check the depth of a puddle ;-)

Posted from a fone.

Things will break, or fall off. sometimes
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

I Support ClubWRX
    grip wise they are very good but dont have ground clearance. i wouldnt take my 11 wrx off roading period and personally like jeeps for off roading
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    My 2nd gen has more ground clearance(vs a 3rd gen)
    Wait, what?

Ground clearance is 6.1" for a 2005 wagon vs 6.1" for a 2011 hatch.

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX and STi spec page

2012 Subaru WRX and STI research page: WRX, Premium, Limited, and STI, STI Limited, 4 door sedan, 5 door hatchback
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

My thread: http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24372

This'll give you some idea of what it'll take to get her good off-road. Stock is still quite capable, but you'll probably have your bumper falling off a few times.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Son of a.... you're right. I think I was confusing numbers with an another Subaru when I was doing research last year. I need to stop killing brain cells =(

I Support ClubWRX
    My father-in-law's Outback seems to have better-than-average ground clearance, for a road car. Perfect for gravel roads, less-maintained mountain roads, etc. I probably wouldn't choose it as a desert trail vehicle, if deep holes and large rocks are common.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

The Outback Sport, (now called the XV), actually has an offroad section in the manual describing basic offroad techniques. That said, it makes a point to stress it's terrain limitations (basically rougher gravel paths and other fairly smooth surfaces).

The WRX manual explicitly states the AWD system is designed for traction ON ROAD in inclement weather, so plowed snowy passes or heavy rain.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Not wrx if you want to off road a lot. My rex is my first subaru, so I can't say how an outback would do off road. I CAN tell you that a wrangler would be magnificent. It would seem to me that the wrx, aside from being too low, would give you tyre problems ... low profile tyres go POP on too many holes and rocks, esp with aluminium wheels, although you could switch to steels. Also, the paint would ding up really quickly. It's a torque car for the road - stock at least, Just my two cents.

Once again: yes, quite capable, just needs moar high.

That's from drifting between dunes in the middle of the desert.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

thanks guys for the inputs. I also have a Nissan PF 4x4 for off road but the wife is claiming it..lol

The WRX and STi are rally inspired cars not rally cars. Buy a WRX take everything off of it to where you are left with an empty frame replace everything with better parts and you have a rally car but you will be out $200K if not more.

Off roading a WRX will be the same as off roading a civic you might not get stuck as much but you will bottom out and subject the suspension to stresses it was not designed for. Not saying it can't do it... but it will break much sooner than you expect.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

I come from 4x4 SUVs and was absolutely amazed at what subie guys try to do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.