off roading..what should I expect ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on off roading..what should I expect ? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I loved off roading my old wranglers, but wouldn't dream of doing it in the wrx. Where I live there ...

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I loved off roading my old wranglers, but wouldn't dream of doing it in the wrx. Where I live there are dirt roads - and although the car is fine on them I have to be picky as to which ones I go on as the car is just too low for some of these roads. Maybe if you modded it, sure, but not stock.

If you want a true off road vehicle, get a Jeep, you can't even ding the paint if you try. (Well, maybe a little)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    I loved off roading my old wranglers, but wouldn't dream of doing it in the wrx. Where I live there are dirt roads - and although the car is fine on them I have to be picky as to which ones I go on as the car is just too low for some of these roads. Maybe if you modded it, sure, but not stock.

If you want a true off road vehicle, get a Jeep, you can't even ding the paint if you try. (Well, maybe a little)
    Is forester suspension still interchangeable on the 3rd gens? I've been toying with the idea of putting forester suspension and 1" spacers on my 02 wagon I probably wont do it though. I'd second the jeep idea if you really want to do real off roading. You can pick up an XJ for damn near free these days.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Subarus are dirt road vehicles not off road vehicles. If you really want to have the best Subaru for handling the roughest roads, then the Forester is your best option. You can get skid plates to protect the most important bits too like the oil pan, which is really the most critical thing to ensure you don't get stranded somewhere.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

off roading..what should I expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Subarus are dirt road vehicles not off road vehicles. If you really want to have the best Subaru for handling the roughest roads, then the Forester is your best option. You can get skid plates to protect the most important bits too like the oil pan, which is really the most critical thing to ensure you don't get stranded somewhere.
    So you're saying that there aren't skid plates out there for the WRX then? Cause I have a large piece of aluminum in my parts room that says you're full of ****. And I also know a few shops that will say the same.

Once again, I've stated it a few times, with just a little modding the car is great off-road, not just dirt roads but through the bush and over the dunes. Just don't try climbing any mountains, we aren't geared quite low enough to make the trying worthwhile there.

OP, look in my link above, and look around on DirtyImpreza too, if you want info from people that have actually done this. Like myself, and a few other 3rd gen(GR, GV, GH, etc) guys who have. Then you also have plenty of GC and GD.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

if your looking for "more offroad ability" from a wrx or the outback id go with the outback. if your doing more slow crawling type of trails where your just going at idle speed id personally get it in auto, but if your terrain is sand dunes and a few rocks id get a 1" lift spacers and some larger tires with a fitting tread for your terrain.

My '13 WRX will never leave the pavement, it's just not designed for that IMO and is much more suited for on-road use. That said I absolutely "Off-Road" my wifes '11 Outback every chance I get too. Regardless of people saying "it's just a dirt-road car" It actually is very capable completely stock, almost as much so as say a stock Toyota 4Runner or similar SUV. I have taken it places my old '08 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab on 31x10.5 BFG All Terrains had trouble. Here is an example.....

Bottom picture, I took our Outback Off-Roading when it only had 170 miles on it. What better way to break in.

Last edited by Pool Runner; 01-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I guess it all depends on your interpretation of 'off-road'.

Some consider rutted out driveways off-road, some consider gory mountain passes off-road.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I guess it all depends on your interpretation of 'off-road'.

Some consider rutted out driveways off-road, some consider gory mountain passes off-road.
    And some consider the desert brush and dunes of the Chihuahua Desert to be off-road.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Interestingly enough this showed up in my feed today:
    Miners Gulch - Subaru Recovery - YouTube

That poor GC. There are a few over on DI that wouldn't have had such issues on that trail. That car however, big issues..... Stock height, and no driver mod. Wonder if the clown did ANY suspension work......
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

What I consider "off road" requires more ground clearance than a WRX could ever have without replacing the suspension completely. That's why I only go off road in my roommates Jeep. Dirt roads aren't "off road".

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mlryan View Post
    What I consider "off road" requires more ground clearance than a WRX could ever have without replacing the suspension completely. That's why I only go off road in my roommates Jeep. Dirt roads aren't "off road".
    im the same way, i have a jeep lifted 4 inches on 32's and i plan to take it higher
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12