Break in period. Any input?

This is a discussion on Break in period. Any input? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Comming up this Monday I will be getting my wrx back from the shop. Ive had the whole transmission redone ...

Break in period. Any input?

Comming up this Monday I will be getting my wrx back from the shop. Ive had the whole transmission redone down to the t.
    Just wondering if anyone else has done this and if so what are the reommended rpms and mileage before its nice and set in.

Like I said complete over haul. Gears. Shafts. Syncros. Clutch. Fly. Etc.

Car is an 02 wrx. All this in a BA case.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd treat it like a new car since you cannot decouple the motor from the gearbox, and the gearbox is in essence new. Therefore I'd follow the usual 1000 mi break in recommended by Subaru.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^I'd agree
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Re: Break in period. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'd treat it like a new car since you cannot decouple the motor from the gearbox, and the gearbox is in essence new. Therefore I'd follow the usual 1000 mi break in recommended by Subaru.
    From the manual it says to change gear box oil at 100 miles of break in period. And then again at 1000 miles. Along with a general clutch break in period of about 500 miles. Does that sound correct?

I Support ClubWRX
    The manual says 100 miles and then 1000 miles for gear oil? I did not do this when my car was new.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Maybe it wasnt the manual but I know I have read it somewhere. I know at lleast by 1000 a change is recommend to rid the internals of any shavings from the break in.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think Subaru recommends this, and they make the most Subaru gearboxes. In any case a change of gear oil certainly won't hurt; it's just a pain and expense, that's all. Grab a spare crush washer for the drain bolt and check the torque spec.

So you think a 1000 miles will be alright? Thats all city and lots of shifting right?

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless the people rebuilding the gearbox left several kg of debris in there I don't see why not. You could ask for their recommendation as they did the actual work I suppose.

Right. Thanks for the advice my friend!

1000 miles easy is what I've always done and always will do. Never had a problem on any motorcycle or car I've owned. And I've owned a lot of them...

So 1000 miles easy on a break in. Did you change any fluids?

Also, how do you feel about riding long in one gear? Say fifth gear on the high way?

Quote Originally Posted by C1iffyp View Post
    From the manual it says to change gear box oil at 100 miles of break in period. And then again at 1000 miles. Along with a general clutch break in period of about 500 miles. Does that sound correct?
    Maybe it wasnt the manual but I know I have read it somewhere. I know at lleast by 1000 a change is recommend to rid the internals of any shavings from the break in.
    It's definitely not in the manual, and wherever you read that is somewhere that has bad information, and I'd be hesitant about following anything else you read from there.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Unless the people rebuilding the gearbox left several kg of debris in there I don't see why not. You could ask for their recommendation as they did the actual work I suppose.
    +1 there shouldn't be any reason to change the gear oil any time soon. You should only have just a very small amount of metal flakes/shavings/bits from the normal process of metal surfaces under extreme stress meshing themselves together. Those should be small enough in number and size that you shouldn't have any reason to change the gear oil before the mileage specified by Subaru for the first change. But definitely ask the shop what they think. And I'm also assuming you had a standard set of parts put in and not straight cut gears or anything like that.

So 1000 miles easy on a break in. Did you change any fluids?

Also, how do you feel about riding long in one gear? Say fifth gear on the high way?
    There's no reason to be concerned about that like there is with keeping the engine RPM the same for an extended period. I just wouldn't be launching the car (not that I ever would anyway personally), putting extreme stresses on the gearbox (like doing a track day, auto-x, or visiting the drag strip), or just in general driving it really hard.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading