Stage 2, and a scare. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Stage 2, and a scare. within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Undone10 Is this a popular mod? Like would this be considered a necessary mod when going stage ...

I Support ClubWRX

Stage 2, and a scare.

Quote Originally Posted by Undone10 View Post
    Is this a popular mod? Like would this be considered a necessary mod when going stage 2?
    Blow-by occurs no matter what the mod level, even stock. Some cars have worse issues than others, but an air-oil separator or oil catch can are beneficial no matter what the mod level.

Air-oil separators do just that, then return reclaimed oil to the oil pan. Catchcans also separate the oil, but instead store the residue in a can, which eventually must be emptied. The cans can be located more places in the engine bay and are usually cheaper.
    Last edited by Rambo; 12-24-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Air-oil separators do just that, then return reclaimed oil to the oil pan. Catchcans also separate the oil, but instead store the residue in a can, which eventually must be emptied. The cans can be located more places in the engine bay and are usually cheaper.
    Thank you for the info sir. So as far as I know, the blowby isn't much, so I think a catch can will do just fine if I make sure I keep it emptied every week or so. An AOS system sounds a bit complex and in depth for me at this stage in the game, I'm really just starting to learn and engulf the whole modding mindset, so for now I think I will go with a catch can, and consider an AOS system down the road if the can begins to not be able to fill my needs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193
    Thank you for the info sir. So as far as I know, the blowby isn't much, so I think a catch can will do just fine if I make sure I keep it emptied every week or so. An AOS system sounds a bit complex and in depth for me at this stage in the game, I'm really just starting to learn and engulf the whole modding mindset, so for now I think I will go with a catch can, and consider an AOS system down the road if the can begins to not be able to fill my needs.
    An AOS is not really any more complicated than a proper catch can setup.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a really detailed video from RSD on how to install the GrimmSpeed AOS:

GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator (AOS) Install - YouTube

From what I've read - not one AOS with returns really works when running hard. Yes it will catch some blow-by, but at WOT I've heard tuners say to run AOS into a can at the track. There are many threads about if the AOS spoken about in this thread even really work. Interested if those in this thread feel the same?

I had always thought about getting one but from my research nothing really 'works' - cliff notes of my research:

Filter based Catch cans/AOS are not really AOS or a true catch can - yes the catch some oil from the vapor; but these are not a true AOS or catch can. You also will run into big trouble if the filter clogs or freezes in the winter.

AOS w/Catch Cans: Work to some degree - they should be designed to cool the oil from the vapor, allowing the oil to condense and separate from the vapor and the oil will drain to the bottom of the can. But every one I researched on the market I found threads of people (and lots) complaining about oil past the can. Again you can run into big problems if the can gets full; in short you'll blow the motor.

AOS w/return lines: Same as above but removes the can from the above setup with a drain back into the pan at some location. Again - tuners seem to recommend running into a can at the track which makes this setup pointless IMO.

Further research and looking into the airline industry AOS designs.. (figured planes MUST use TRUE AOS as well, people's lives depend on them....) from that IMO it seems the problem with car AOS is they are simply much too small (for the heat in the engine bay) to cool the oil enough to catch it sufficiently when run very hard (i.e. track days). You need a larger can to let the oil time to cool - or a way to keep the can cool from the heat of the engine.

So that said I don't believe any catch can or return AOS in the market really 'works' for what I want - when I'm running hard at a track day. That made me decide to save my money and stick with the stock PCV system.....

I would get an AOS if I was convinced anything on the market really was a proper AOS.
    Last edited by STiDriven; 12-24-2012 at 01:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.