Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; im at 20.7mpg with 1750miles. 50/50 on highway/local. i dont care about mpg. im enjoying the car. im using BP93 ...

im at 20.7mpg with 1750miles. 50/50 on highway/local. i dont care about mpg. im enjoying the car. im using BP93 octane and fill up on wednesdays and sundays coz BP reduces premium prices on those days haha
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem

Calculating MPG is depressing. SO DON'T!

Posted from a fone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Rex View Post
    Maybe ill try Sunoco or BP gas. But can the name brand of gasoline be that different?
    Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    Don't know if brand matters, maybe try sunoco? Isn't that the brand nascar uses?
    Brand makes no significant difference in mileage. For the most part, gas is all pretty much the same thing. At one point about 15-20 years ago Sunoco made a significant advance with their blending of detergents so they had a cleaner gas than anybody else on the market, but other companies have long since caught up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    I don't use cheap gas in the car - I use Sunoco or Exxon, 93 octane. I noticed, with my other cars, that cars drink cheap gas (delta, etc) like water.
    Thinking "cheap" gas is any worse than name brand is totally false. Cheap gas is just name brand gas sold by a no-name station that doesn't pay the marketing fees associated with the use of the name brand. Their gas is refined and blended at the same refineries as name brand gas. What name brand they actually carry just depends on their distributor and can even change from day to day depending on what tanker delivers their fuel.

Here's a quick lesson on gas I've shared before. For the last 5 years I worked for the leading oil industry consulting company in the world and my customers included every single major and minor petroleum-related company and country in the world, so I know a small amount about this.....

Gas is mostly refined by refining companies and not retailers (only a couple of retailers have their own refineries). Anadarko is one of the largest companies in the world and the largest refiner in the world and 99.9999% of people have never heard of them, but I guarantee you've bought their gas. Retailers contract specific refining companies to create proprietary blends with specific additives in them. What exactly each retailer has the refiner put in their gas is a highly guarded trade secret. Most refiners companies produce gas for competing retailers, but with those different additives. Gas varies from batch to batch and also changes as it ages, so you never get exactly the same gas from the same retailer unless you buy it at the same exact day and time. Because of this, you can often buy name-brand gas that's worse than no-name gas because what you buy could be older or a poorer quality refinement than a no-name retailer happened to get.

No-name "cheap" gas is bought by the retailer from a distributor, but often they just get whatever blend the distributor happens to have in a tanker available for delivery in their area when the retailer wants it. This could be Mobil, Exxon, or any name-brand gas, but it's not poorer gas in any way. It would cost a refiner more to produce a "cheap" version of gas than to just produce more than a particular retailer wants. The refiner also doesn't just produce the exact amount ordered but produces a particular quantity based on a number of things including how long they happen to have a cracker, blender, or other equipment available for at that time.

So to put it simply, forget about non-name brand retailers selling "cheap" or inferior quality gas because it simply doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Your car is fine. The gas gauge isn't 100% linear, so while it might appear to sink quickly at the beginning, it will steady out. My bugeye will drop 1/8th or more in the first 50 miles, then the needle seems to drop more slowly. Now if you suddenly see the needle drop to empty, and you find after dividing the trip meter by the gallons purchased that you're getting 12 mpg or something, then that is a legitimate cause for concern.

It sounds like you just need to get more familiar with the car, honestly. I think you'll be fine.
    +1 using the distance your needle moves to calculate mileage is completely useless. You need to use the odometer and how many miles you get between filling up your tank and how many gallons the pump tells you you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    All the moving parts inside an engine will have rough edges when the engine is new. It'll be wearing in for about the first thousand miles. I'd forget even looking at mpg until you get there.
    Definitely true. Gas mileage is usually significantly lower for the first 1000 miles or so.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The top 1/4 plummets for me... the final 1/4 must be at least 5 gallons large for me.

I find each time I drive my car be it 5 miles or 30 miles the tank is 1/4 down the next time I get in the car. At times I swear I can see the needle drop lol. My '11 V8 5.0L Ford F-150 actually seems like it gets better fuel economy lol. Doesn't bother me though, I bought this car as a fun grocery getter fuel for it falls under "Entertainment Expense" in my household budget.

Oh and I just hit 1400 miles on my '13, had it for five months this month and my lifetime MPG's which I use the "B" section for is at 18.9 since 2 miles on the clock. I drove this car like a granny for the first 900 miles then more spirited from 900-1000, and now it's been like just shy of a race car driver from 1000-1400.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 01-02-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I would be happy with those numbers. I got a '12 hatch and my dash says 18.4 mpg. Car manufacturers are always generous with the window sticker mpg claim.

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Calculating MPG is depressing. SO DON'T!

Posted from a fone.
    werd. I was in denial for a bit, but now I've learned to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    I find each time I drive my car be it 5 miles or 30 miles the tank is 1/4 down the next time I get in the car. At times I swear I can see the needle drop lol. My '11 V8 5.0L Ford F-150 actually seems like it gets better fuel economy lol. Doesn't bother me though, I bought this car as a fun grocery getter fuel for it falls under "Entertainment Expense" in my household budget.

Oh and I just hit 1400 miles on my '13, had it for five months this month and my lifetime MPG's which I use the "B" section for is at 18.9 since 2 miles on the clock. I drove this car like a granny for the first 900 miles then more spirited from 900-1000, and now it's been like just shy of a race car driver from 1000-1400.

1400miles in 5 months? I hit 2000miles and I've had the car for 45days lol
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    I'm at 1500 in 3 weeks. I've hit 3000 in a month before more than a couple of times.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    I'm at 1500 in 3 weeks. I've hit 3000 in a month before more than a couple of times.

Wow you drive a lot
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

If the OP drives an STI then his MPG seems spot on as an average. Even in a wrx it only seems slightly lower than average. I think the rating from the dealer is 20/25 or something like that. Maybe it was 19/24, I can't remember..I usually get an avaerage of 22mpg on every tank with my car so....yeah..

I average 26-27 Hiway, 18-20 in the city, 21-24 combined. Honestly If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a new Impreza. I wanted a monster out of the box and that's what I got. A car that I could be happy with when I'm driving not one that leaves me bored on long trips and gives me that smug I'm saving the planet and a dollar feeling. Besides when a guy talks about his car you don't want gas mileage to be your only claim to fame.

I don't understand why people get a wrx/sti and then worry about MGP. It all about SMILE per gallon, not MILES per gallon. Pay attention to tach instead of the MGP calculator.

On that note, I have a 2013, and i noticed an increase and more stable MGP after break in. I am at about 3,000 miles now.

Enjoy your car.

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    I only get to drive this car on the weekends, kids + wife + run a small company so I almost never have time to drive it. I've only done one 200 mile road trip, mostly highway with some hilly and windy roads got 24 mpgs on that trip.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast