Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Your car is fine. The gas gauge isn't 100% linear, so while it might appear to sink quickly at the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car is fine. The gas gauge isn't 100% linear, so while it might appear to sink quickly at the beginning, it will steady out. My bugeye will drop 1/8th or more in the first 50 miles, then the needle seems to drop more slowly. Now if you suddenly see the needle drop to empty, and you find after dividing the trip meter by the gallons purchased that you're getting 12 mpg or something, then that is a legitimate cause for concern.

It sounds like you just need to get more familiar with the car, honestly. I think you'll be fine.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

All the moving parts inside an engine will have rough edges when the engine is new. It'll be wearing in for about the first thousand miles. I'd forget even looking at mpg until you get there.

However, Subaru's website states 19mpg city and 25 highway (freeway?). So if your commute is made up of different types of roads, 22mpg would be a fair combined mpg figure. I've got nearly 7000 miles on my '12 WRX. I reset the trip counter (and consequently, the average mpg counter) every time I fill up, and at the end of each tank of gas I've never seen anything but 23-24mpg average. I'd say 20mpg with your first tank is nothing unusual.

I would have to agree with people saying that winterblends tend to have an effect on your MPG's but I also like to think that your normal break in period will effect your MPGs as well... at least on my GTR I didn't see 22mpgs until i had about 10k on the motor.

I do believe that most new owners think they are shifting around 3500rpms but lets be realistic maybe you are shifting a tad higher then you believe. Its a new car with some decent power the car can be exciting. My fiancee 12' is getting around 24.5mpg right now but she always drives like a granny. And I do believe with time it will get a little better.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

Re: Brand new 2013 WRX and MPG problem

You know you're a true WRX owner when you learn accept a future of high gas prices and crappy fuel economy.

Posted from a fone.

^^ thank you i pretty much said that..
    its like u buy a damn super car and complain about gas prices ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    The gas gauge isn't 100% linear, so while it might appear to sink quickly at the beginning, it will steady out. My bugeye will drop 1/8th or more in the first 50 miles, then the needle seems to drop more slowly.
    Really? My Bugeye will sit at completely full for the first 50-60 miles then drops quickly to 3/4 evening out consistently to the gas light. Weird.

Also to the OP the computer my not be 100% accurate. My mom's A6 is usually 1-2 mpgs off from the calculated mileage and my dad's F-250 Superduty is about the same almost always below the calculated mileage.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I don't use cheap gas in the car - I use Sunoco or Exxon, 93 octane. I noticed, with my other cars, that cars drink cheap gas (delta, etc) like water.

I have noticed (and it's odd) but if I drive on the highway around 60 in 4th gear, with the car 'working' a tad, it gets better gas mileage! It seems to 'like' that power band. Nonetheless, it's not a 'gas mileage' car, although considering it's a 'torque car', it gets pretty good mileage.

My car has about 500+ miles on it now. And I think you guys are right about a couple things. The gas guage definitely isn't accurate and I probably have a heavier foot than I realize. I drove my other car that the wrx replaced and realized how much slower it was daily driving. I also realized that driving the car at 2k sometimes decreases gas mileage. The slight inclines that a person may not notice probably puts more strain on the engine causing mpg to drop. I drove my car like I did the first week and got better gas mileage than trying to be very conservative.

If you're getting over 20 mpg you are doing well compared to me. I'm lucky to crack 18 in the city. I've only seen 23 on the freeway once and that was staying below 75 mph. AWD, turbo + heavy foot do not = good mileage, but I expected that when I bought mine. I was a bit surprised that my Eclipse got better mileage though.

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Yes its a Performance car so not really too worried about low 20s but, I have 5k on my 2013 now

I just got 23.6 mpg(24.7 indicated) on 7.65 Gallons by driving 60-65 on the highway to and from work. With 2 miles of city each way round trip of 77 miles, so roughly ~4 gallons per day I use.

I hear some people getting 25-28 driving this speed but I never confirmed it. I have to drive 55-60 for Indicated 27mpg

Sounds normal or low?
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

[QUOTE=thescreensavers;2969902]Yes its a Performance car so not really too worried about low 20s but, I have 5k on my 2013 now

I just got 23.6 mpg(24.7 indicated) on 7.65 Gallons by driving 60-65 on the highway to and from work. With 2 miles of city each way round trip of 77 miles, so roughly ~4 gallons per day I use.

I hear some people getting 25-28 driving this speed but I never confirmed it. I have to drive 55-60 for Indicated 27mpg

Sounds normal or low?[/QUOTE

If you are seeing 27mpg then that is awesome. I have a 2013 with 3100 Miles on ODO and l average 22 to 24mpg in a daily mixed commute of 30 Miles with speeds varying between 45-75mph
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 01-05-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Don't take this wrong, but if you are worried about mpg, you bought the wrong car.

I'm only concerned because I only drove back and forth to work and lost over a 1/4 tank. I obviously know that it wasn't a Prius but to get the same gas mileage as a hummer is ridiculous. Wanted to verify if this was normal during the break in period or if possibly the guage or sensor could be defective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Rex View Post
    I'm only concerned because I only drove back and forth to work and lost over a 1/4 tank. I obviously know that it wasn't a Prius but to get the same gas mileage as a hummer is ridiculous. Wanted to verify if this was normal during the break in period or if possibly the guage or sensor could be defective.
    Normal IMHO..,. FWIW when driven in snow this week I got 20 mpg... So yea it seems normal to me :beer:

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Rex View Post
    Your fuel gauge appearing to drop so quickly is likely due to not completely filling the tank, but as stated the rate of the needle dropping is not 100% linear so I wouldn't stress over it as long as your gas mileage is close to the right range. You said you are getting 22.3mpg... a Hummer averages 10-15mpg in real-world use, so your comment about getting the same gas mileage as a Hummer is ridiculous. With a city rating of 19mpg and highway of 25mpg, your average of 22mpg is right in the middle and perfectly normal. If you wanted a gas-sipper, you bought the wrong car. FYI, there is no"reserve tank".
    Last edited by 13WRXhatch; 12-30-2012 at 08:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.