First snow driving
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First snow driving within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I got my WRX last May, so far I've only know it on "clean" roads. Didn't get into any snow ...

First snow driving

I got my WRX last May, so far I've only know it on "clean" roads. Didn't get into any snow before, only some freezing mornings. -
    So today we had our first snow day. It got cold last night and then snowed. We got about 3-4 inches. Today it stayed in the freezing temps. Recently I put winter wheels on, so expected fairly decent performance. Went on a drive to shopping (-don't ask) and tried it out. But I did not expect what I got: performance like I've never seen in snow! I tired a number of things, up to and including the wifey screaming and hanging on for dear life. Only once did I get the traction control light - when I was accellerating across several lanes to get into the left turn lane before traffic cought up with me. The car didn't even cut power, no hesitation, it just did what it needed to keep going straight. Next I will have to try and find me some save and quiet place to play and try it with TC off.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just remember that great AWD system won't help you at all when braking.....

Subarus are great in the snow. There's a reason you see so many of them here in CO!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Understood. Pretty much all cars have brakes on all 4 corners, subies are the same in that regard. And sideways loads in turns can only hold as far as traction will go, so not the same as dry roads. But for having the road covered in snow, performance was just incredible!

I Support ClubWRX
    Careful! It gives you a false confidence. Once I hit a patch of snow on the highway just right, and it flipped me 540, and I almost got hit head on.

But they definitely are fun snow cars!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The car being better in the snow by no means excuses poor driving habits. These cars are designed to be great in inclement weather, but you should respect the fact that the design only goes so far.

Drive it like you would any other vehicle in the snow, slow and safe. Driving like a jackass and passing everyone simply because you can, will leave you in a ditch somewhere down the road. Like Kevin said, these cars inspire false confidence in people, and these forums are awash with people who pay the price for it in the winter. There's a reason why many Subaru forums have yearly betting threads for how many newbs post of their first crash in the snow.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Well, see, there IS that one issue - I brought it up with the 17yr old getting a WRx or even STI: will it even get posted?!
    But in all reality: What I said is that I'm really impressed with the car's performance compared to other cars I've had. I did not drive illegal or crazy. I did push the pedal to where other cars would spin a wheel or start to go sideways or something. Nothing I have not handled before. But it didn't seem to matter to this car. Bottom line: I'm imprezed. But frankly, I'm more worried about other drivers than my driving...
    Now, does anyone know how many noobs we have and what their ages, model years, mod-levels ect? gotta start somewhere for making bets!

PS: I did crash my first car after 5 days on ice, put it upside gown sideways in the middle of the road at about midnight, way out in the sticks... This was about 35-37 yars ago. A lot, and many cars - have happened since... Maybe the title is misleading, it's not my first snow driving, just first with the Subie...
    Last edited by Ingo; 12-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    it IS impressive. And by no means, was I criticizing your driving!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks, Sinister.
    I was looking for comments of other people's experience. What does the Subie do, what are the effects of awd compared to other cars and such.
    Of course the deal with bets is still up...
    Last edited by Ingo; 12-09-2012 at 09:34 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hopefully, we'll get to drive on snow pack all winter.
    Did you try out the anti lock brakes? I don't think they work under 10mph, but I could be wrong.
    2010 WRB WRX wagon

Slid on a patch of ice with no season tires.
    Have fun man.

KHP
    Love my car in snow, ice, wet, slush, dry, hot, cold, etc... Equipped with proper tires Subaru's are monsters (possibly true with most car makes). Like everyone claimed above it will give you a false sense of security. Drive carefully to avoid joining 4x4/AWD trucks and SUV's in the ditch. I rarely see 2wd (fwd/rwd) cars in the ditch because people tend to be more cautious with them(though they maybe stuck on the road itself).

This is such a commons sight around my area. A little embarrassing actually. I would expect people here to be better at winter driving knowing that they live in a mountain snow area. Ok maybe some of them are visitors from the California valley then I do feel for them.

I don't have enough fingers in two hands and feet to count the number of vehicles I saw in ditches last year. It's always fun/better to drive by them than making friends in the ditch lol.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Slid on a patch of ice with no season tires.
    Have fun man.
    What would those be?
    So this morning I came to work and found a LARGE, PRISTINE parking lot! No so anymore. Anti-Lock brakes work fine from whatever speed to full stop. They kinda klunk, but keep the car straight, or right in the turn. Couldn't even say that the stop was any slower or turn any wider than not hitting the ABS. Did a couple of tries to make it spin, traction control grabbed in and kept it pretty well in line. Turned TC off and had some fun making donuts. Had the car spinning almost on the spot. Didn't use the handbrake at all. It was fun! But quit pretty fast, didn't want to go and tear up something, blow too much gas or punish the tires too much.

Just remember, with great power comes great responsibility.
    Ryan

Rarrior's '07 WRX Limited Journal

Some say he has never owned an Alfa Romeo.

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I haven't gotten to try the WRX yet in the snow , at least not with proper winter tyres. I got caught with the summer tyres in the NY/NJ October blizzard and that was hair raising. Now have winter tyres - low profile dunlop snows.

I am curious to see what the wrx is like as I drove Jeeps for 20 years and they are fantastic in snow! And yes, there are loads of eejits who drive 4 wheel drives and AWDs and get creamed as they don't know how to drive in snow or just don't know how to drive period. Slam on gas, slam on brake and nothing in between.

Am thinking of taking rally classes, not to rally but to learn how to handle skids and left hand break and draft properly

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Um I meant 'drift' properly ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.