First snow driving - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on First snow driving within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ...and left FOOT brake ;-) Posted from a fone....

Re: First snow driving

...and left FOOT brake ;-)

Posted from a fone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    ...and left FOOT brake ;-)

Posted from a fone.
    I tried to reply earlier, ended up double posting and then deleting BOTH when I tried to fix that. Anyways, I was raising the question if he was like in Australia or such because of "left hand brake"... I think you got it though, that makes more sense.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    O cripes, I meant left foot BRAKING LOL I'm an eejit!

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    This is such a commons sight around my area. A little embarrassing actually. I would expect people here to be better at winter driving knowing that they live in a mountain snow area. Ok maybe some of them are visitors from the California valley then I do feel for them.

I don't have enough fingers in two hands and feet to count the number of vehicles I saw in ditches last year. It's always fun/better to drive by them than making friends in the ditch lol.
    When I lived in Tahoe I was pretty shocked at the same thing. Seemed like most of the people up there just had no idea what to do when it snowed... everyone would either be going (literally) under 10 mph over Donner or flying off the road at any chance they got. First time it snowed last year I knew at least 5 kids who totalled their cars the first night. Crazy.

The first year I have my WRX just happens to be first year that it hasn't iced or snowed in Oklahoma for winter.

Re: First snow driving

This is the first car I've driven where the traction control actually let's you have a little fun before reining you back in. The ABS on the other hand kind of sucks in the snow, in my experience. It's a trade off I'm willing to make for the awesomeness of the rest of the car.

I've already been caught being overconfident... Got a little squirrelly driving too fast with the family in the car. My fast beating heart told me I was past the point of control. That was enough for me. Now I make sure I know how much snow is on the ground before I start passing people indiscriminately.
    Although, last year heading back from Sno Drift I-75 was emursed in a blizzard. I was the only car that successfully traversed the left lane. Considering the conditions, I made it home in record time.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

My first snow experience with my Subaru was probably 1 month ago . one day it started snowing hard , so that night i took it out on the roads and parking lots haha ( This is with using all season tires with like 20% tread left ) , i went out and i was really impressed with the awd system, no problem what so ever on hills with snow , or even when i went into a field with like 3-5 inches of powder. i went to a empty parking lot and did a experiment to see how my car would react to it losing traction in a turn ( i tried to make it lose traction ) , when i did get to lose traction i found that it understeers alot but regains traction quickly from just throttle control.

P.s - i had more fun in the powder drifting around then anything else in my car and still had perfect control .
    -Tom
    Shifting Day n Night in my RedRex

I moved to Northern Illinois from New Orleans with an MS3. After about half of a winter of driving up hills in reverse I said I'm buying a Subaru, based almost entirely on Gran Turismo... and maybe a pamphlet or two. After looking over a WRB wagon with gold wheels, I opted for the considerably cheaper Impreza OBS and fell in love immediately, got as far as the parking lot and wept with joy (it was 8 below the day I signed papers and I just experienced heated seats for the first time, leave me alone)...

I worked at a hospital and volunteered for the snow removal crew and when most people were heading home for shelter from the always imminent snowfall I was going to work (usually around 2AM whats up with that mother nature?) The MS3 was fun but completely useless in the winter. I never had an accident but got stuck repeatedly every snow fall (not ditches, just clearance). Once I was in the Subaru though, it really didn't matter what fell from the sky, I got to where I was going. I tested it out in empty hospital parking lots and realized the capabilities and limitations pretty quickly, ice is still ice and no amount of AWD will cure that. But I drove it for 2 winters just like a FWD car, slow and steady and never came across an obstacle I couldn't overcome. Even when the city plows would plow in the parking lot spaces for my apartment. Even helped an occasional 4x4 out of a ditch after they would go roaring by a line of steadily moving traffic, I'm that f'in nice.

I was told I was stupid (fellow snow removal volunteers and big truck drivers) for trading in a car I owned outright when I just needed new tires... maybe so but the MS3 didn't have heated seats or windshield wiper and mirror de-icers. I have no regrets and followed it up with the WRX I passed on a couple years ago. Not a lot of snow here so I will just park my WRX if it actually does snow, mostly because of other drivers (the aforementioned 4x4 crowd lacks common sense here moreso than in Illinois)
    Last edited by Rummie; 12-24-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    Not as many parts left over this time... what am I missing?

KHP
    Just to update this thread I decided to scout the amount snow that the previous storm left earlier today, along with getting some groceries. The last storm left 2-4ft worth of snow.

Most of the roads were plowed so most of my drive was fine. What was treacherous was the inlet and outlets to parking lots. Snow plows move the snow off to the side of the road making it very difficult for any vehicles to go in an out of parking lots.

I went to a grocery store to pick up some stuff and I decided to take a different route out of the parking lot. I was shocked to see the route I chose to have about 2ft deep worth of rutted and slushy snow and about 6ft distance to the plowed snow packed road. To make it worse the transition to the road was uphill. The visible tracks into the snow were so deep that I'd imagine a high clearance Jeep type SUV was last to pass through. I couldn't back out because several other vehicles were behind me. So I sat there for about 30 seconds thinking to my self what trouble I've gotten myself into.

I held my breath put the car into first and slowly entered the snow (I didn't want my bumper destroyed lol). The first 4ft was effortless then I started feeling the undercarriage of the car start dragging though the snow slowing my progress. I then started feeling wheel spin starting to come on . As the car was almost coming to a full stop so I decided to keep a steady pressure on the gas pedal. If I remember correctly I maybe revving to about 2500RPMs in first gear. Then the car somehow found traction and violently shot out to the road with the rear end whipping out. I was pretty sure that I was done for when I saw what I had to cross.

I stunned a couple on a snowbank preparing to cross the road and a few others in their tall SUV's and trucks. They had the surprised look in their face probably thinking "How can a low clearance compact hatch back car get through that?".

Anyway my car surprised me today. I knew that Subaru AWD is excellent, but I guess I didn't realize how good it is. The "Vehicle Dynamics Control" work very well to find every possible source of traction available. Felt like the car woke up not wanting to be embarrassed and be stuck helpless lol.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-24-2012 at 09:29 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I Support ClubWRX
    Thus far my snow performance has been a bit disappointing. Mid last week we had a light snow dusting while I was at a shop. When I came out, noticing they had a decent size empty lot, I chose to try and get her loose....due to the really good snow tires I have, I was not able to break traction. Figured just not enough snow, as it was just a mere dusting.

The weather monkeys keep saying we are going to get 3-6'....then they are wrong. All last winter was like this....less than 3 inches total. If I can't have hot tarmac and summer tires I want some fun slush or hard-pack to drive on damnit....is that too much to ask?

Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

There was enough snow on the roads last night that I know my old car would've spun some if I were to try driving normally on it. Took the rex around the block and was pleased to find that I could drive completely normally, like there was nothing there.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

SNOW DAY!!

Tried out the General Altimax Tires for the first time in the snow and they handled very well!!
    2013 SWP WRX 5-Door
    2005 OBP WRX 4-Door SOLD

I Support ClubWRX
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

A mixture of wintry precipitation becoming all snow by 10am. Cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 30s. Winds ENE at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precip 95%.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast