You Know You're a WRX Owner When... - Page 6
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on You Know You're a WRX Owner When... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; How wasteful! Posted from a fone....

Re: You Know You're a WRX Owner When...

How wasteful!

Posted from a fone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok I will play, when you are trying to figure out who is the best stick driver of all the friends or family members you know that live locally........... just so you can ask them if they can drive your car a few times up and down the street so you can hear what your car sounds like.

Unfortunately my wife can't drive stick well enough to do this for me and she is not interested in learning either.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

I Support ClubWRX

when you go out and buy a new laptop just so you have Windows to run your tuning software.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

haha!! such a good thread! I work at an Amazon warehouse and 90% of my co-workers know I have a WRX. I can't think of a day that I haven't gotten a compliment on it!
    Bryan | Stink-Eye Mob #265

07 Impreza Outback Sport, 5spd
    Sad I don't have this anymore:
    2012 WRX Premium, Plasma Blue Pearl hatch, Stage 1+
    check out my build thread

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post

when you go out and buy a new laptop just so you have Windows to run your tuning software.
    Lol....sounds like an excuse to me You could have just as easily ran a "Windows" on VMware or a VitualBox-------but then again may be you didn't have a "Windows" installation CD...... How's the new laptop and loving the Windows on it?

I Support ClubWRX
    no...issue was no laptop to begin with lol

my desktop was running either FreeBSD Unix or Ubuntu Linux at the time (can't remember which) and the visualization was too much of a PITA to deal with. Additionally, I was thinking about going open source, which would not work with a desktop.

Windows 7 is the best micro**** has released in 10 years, if not ever. It still has many bad things about it, but for the most part is not too bad. I will not be using Win8 at all, ever.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

my desktop was running either FreeBSD Unix or Ubuntu Linux at the time (can't remember which) and the visualization was too much of a PITA to deal with. Additionally, I was thinking about going open source, which would not work with a desktop.

Windows 7 is the best micro**** has released in 10 years, if not ever. It still has many bad things about it, but for the most part is not too bad. I will not be using Win8 at all, ever.
    I still maintain that Windows 2000 Pro was the best. It was simple, easy to use, easy to maintain, and very basic.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Win 2000 Pro was my favorite as well. Though it is more than 10 years, and I didn't want to thnk back on it with rose colored glasses....I have not been able to compare them side by side. 2000 was definately the most stable they ever released, but it was a bit lacking on driver support being that it was tecnically an NT varient from before NT was merged (XP was the first NT post merge)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Lol... OpenBSD....wow... yes the 7 is nice but I do like the ubuntu... Current release, either the 10 or 12, is relatively painless. All my systems at home are dual boot. Graphics drivers are a snap to install now and the resolution is just as good as it is on the 7 OS

But that is awesome you are or were using the openbsd

Ubuntu. Its become a pig...

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Ubuntu. Its become a pig...

LoI.. Well l still prefer this over a Win8.... l was shocked at the size as well but....

I Support ClubWRX
    You know you're on a WRX board when the topic could shift to tech at any moment.

I use Ubuntu, OS X, and Windows 7 on a daily basis, on different machines. I like 7, and was prepared to not like 8. I tinkered with it at the store, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't find much to hate about it. Looks like the guts of 7, with a GUI layer on top. Once you learn the key shortcuts, you're pretty much good to go. All of the settings, etc, are pretty much done in a 7'ish interface.

It's true that the Linux distros become more bloated with each passing year. Nothing was quite like dabbling with a barebones Slackware distro back in the '90's. I ran a mail server, NAT, file service, and X on a 486-based machine, and it hardly broke a sweat.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Not OpenBSD, FreeBSD....they are similar, but not the same. As soon as I get my house I will be running FreeBSD media servers in my basement, and likely at least 1 FreeBSD workstation

Yes, Ubuntu has become bloated....in efforts to make it more main-stream, they have added so much crap to the base install that it has gotten rather large compared to the more geeky Linux variants, but this is to make installing easier, and n00b user experience more inviting. However, if you build your Ubuntu via making s Ubuntu server build, then laying the gui in over the top, you have a much leaner running Ubuntu install.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You know you're on a WRX board when the topic could shift to tech at any moment.

I use Ubuntu, OS X, and Windows 7 on a daily basis, on different machines. I like 7, and was prepared to not like 8. I tinkered with it at the store, and to tell you the truth, I couldn't find much to hate about it. Looks like the guts of 7, with a GUI layer on top. Once you learn the key shortcuts, you're pretty much good to go. All of the settings, etc, are pretty much done in a 7'ish interface.
    MS is known for making a good release, then a 1/2 step release....3 (including 3.1 and 3.1.1) were good, 95 was pisspoor 1/2 step, 98 was good, ME was 1/2 step joke, XP was good, Vista was a 1/2 step to 7.....I assume 8 will be basically a GUI and 1/2 ass tweeks to 7 base code.

However, the whole default touch screen layout that is like a 43 step process to disable....which comes back when you reboot, its a major turn off for me. It is geared towards the average internet user, not a productive multi-task user. Many OS makers are doing this, it is a trend that came about due to tablet users, and hopefully will not stick as it is a step in the wrong direction.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

^^^^This...And i am a wrx owner when friends threaten to key my ride because they jumped out of their shoes when i blipped the throttle a little... And it's all stock with SPT catback option - pansies