How capable are these cars off-road? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on How capable are these cars off-road? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Uh...what's his face....gregroot(?) turned his car into a rally car...you should ask him. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in here. ...

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Uh...what's his face....gregroot(?) turned his car into a rally car...you should ask him. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in here. Where is synolimit when you need him?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Love the vid....though on the car's behalf I must complain about sand in every crack
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Uh...what's his face....gregroot(?) turned his car into a rally car...you should ask him. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in here.
    I was going to say, where gregroot? See below:

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

How capable are these cars off-road?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Uh...what's his face....gregroot(?) turned his car into a rally car...you should ask him. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in here. Where is synolimit when you need him?
    Oh, hai!! What's-his-face here, ya cranky-puss.

As for the OPs question, yes they do pretty good off-road, Subaru's AWD system is pretty damned good in almost everything, basically just not rock-climbing for the most part. I got up some pretty decent hills with her on the summers and a lift, granted this was the last day for those tires. The tires stuck great, but a cacti ended one of the tires, so all she wrote. Replaced the summers with some all seasons, and ended up losing one of these again to a bubble in the sidewall. The Firestone replaced it under warranty, and I decided enough was enough.

Sometime during this time I replaced my bumper with a totally badass tube and plate bumper/light-bar. This prevented a bunch of damage over the last 6 or 7 months to the radiator support and the radiator. Replaced the stock 17"s with some 15" rally rims(15x6.5" Braids) with some Yokohama Geolander A/Ts. This increased the area I stomped through even more, especially combined with the bumper. I'm talking about pretty much bajaing through the scrub and mesquite "trees" in the desert here, on top of all the "backwoods" trails I've found. These are the type that apparently only trucks and jeeps would ever follow.

So basically, yes, these cars are decently capable even in the WRX form, but the open diffs and electronic handicaps of the newer gens are a big hindrance to the fun. This is the main reason I have returned to stock, and am just waiting on a free 3 or 4 day weekend to go and trade her in on an '06 STi.

Edit: don't mind Drews, he's just cranky that his car couldn't swim, since he was dumb and obviously didn't depth check first.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I've done a good amount of dirt road driving in both my old STI and my current one, but never in a regular WRX. The adjustable diff on the STI makes a huge difference in how the cars handle, and adds a considerable amount of traction and control. You can definitely tell the rally roots when you start playing around with that system.

I would definitely add a front skid plate and rear diff cover if you ever planned to do a lot of dirt road driving, as well as some more aggressive tires with a bigger sidewall. Winter tires make for excellent dirt road tires because of the wide lug spacing that makes them a lot closer to what an off-road tire is.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

The start of a local muddy, dirt road (albeit full of potholes), that has some nice long straightaways, gradual turns, and some wide sharp curves to navigate. Out of the 7 Subarus we have owned, 6 have been taken out and about in the dirt. Kept the 2005 STI clean and dirt road free
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0008 2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	109900
    -MACE-
    *HAVE YOU HAD YOUR WRX TODAY!*

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Re: How capable are these cars off-road?

WRX's are certainly pretty good off road, they're great on dirt roads and they do well on muddy roads. However they're not jeeps so u can't really go rock climbing in them. If your going off roading the paint leaves something to be desired but if your thinking seriously about off roading the car that won't be much of a deterrent.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    WRX's are certainly pretty good off road, they're great on dirt roads and they do well on muddy roads. However they're not jeeps so u can't really go rock climbing in them. If your going off roading the paint leaves something to be desired but if your thinking seriously about off roading the car that won't be much of a deterrent.
    Whoa, new Adam! Now you're in Bordentown, NJ???? I grew up in Florence.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    We're not really going to call him 'new Adam' are we?
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    We're not really going to call him 'new Adam' are we?
    I will...I can't remember his new real name
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX

I live in Florence, Adam used to live in Florence too
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our featured brands

I Support ClubWRX

Suavek
    Our featured brands

I Support ClubWRX
    Off-road, you say?

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    ^want
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

for some reason people thing the WRX and STi are rally cars... They are rally "inspired" cars... a rally car can cost well over $200k... dont be fooled buy the AWD in your $20k car.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.