Tips for winter and getting (un)stuck

This is a discussion on Tips for winter and getting (un)stuck within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I thought it might be useful to post a few things for people that aren't so experienced with winter and ...

Tips for winter and getting (un)stuck

I thought it might be useful to post a few things for people that aren't so experienced with winter and getting cars unstuck. Here's a few simple pointers.
    1. Buy a tow strap. It can save you or somebody else. A 20 foot 7-8k pound strap should be adequate.
    2. Buy a come-along. Harbor Freight often has their 2-3 ton model on sale for $20. With this and a tow strap (ideally 2 straps, also available for $15 each at Harbor Freight) you can get your car out of a lot of situations.
    3. Carry a shovel. A small one is fine, even just a trowel or similar. Anything to dig with that has a sharp edge (i.e. NOT a plastic shovel).
    4. Throw a blanket and a few bottles of water in your trunk in case you get stuck somewhere.
    5. Put a couple of coffee cans or small bucket of gravel in your trunk. Sand won't help you when you're off in deep snow, but gravel will. This should be sharp-edged gravel and not round river rock type gravel (which won't offer traction!).
    6. Your floor mats can be your best friend and are the best way to get unstuck. Put one in front of or behind each wheel and you'll be amazed how easily you can get your car out of just about any situation. Depending on what kind you have, the bottom may be better to have face up than the top, for instance with carpeted mats the bottom often has more traction for the tires. Dig as far under each wheel as you can so the edges of the floor mats are just about under the tire to start.

These are just a few of the things I've learned in 20 years of driving in some of the snowiest places imaginable.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the tips! I never would have thought about the floor mats, although it'd be a shame to get them dirty. I guess it beats being stuck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikana View Post
    it'd be a shame to get them dirty.
    That is what they are there for isn't it? To get dirty...

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the tips! I never would have thought about the floor mats, although it'd be a shame to get them dirty. I guess it beats being stuck, though.
    Subaru rubber floor mats FTW!
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Maus's steps to not getting stuck in the winter:

1. Live in Florida.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Subaru rubber floor mats FTW!
    Are those a dealer option or something? Mine are carpet, not rubber. When I ordered my car, the dealer swore up and down that some options were selected on "every" car. These included all weather floor mats, locking wheel nuts and the auto-dimming rear mirror. I told them I didn't want any of those, so I've got a base WRX with only the short throw shifter for options.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, they are an option, but all cars (from all makes) in the NW seem to have them added standard.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Maus's steps to not getting stuck in the winter:

1. Live in Florida.
    666 posts?? You're the devil maus
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Are those a dealer option or something? Mine are carpet, not rubber. When I ordered my car, the dealer swore up and down that some options were selected on "every" car. These included all weather floor mats, locking wheel nuts and the auto-dimming rear mirror. I told them I didn't want any of those, so I've got a base WRX with only the short throw shifter for options.
    Amazing what some dealers will do.

All weather mats are entirely an option. They are in no way "selected on every car."
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    All weather mats cost about $40 I think.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

good tips!!!! but that is why I drive a Subaruuuuuuuu
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

A small shovel is a huge must.

I got my truck stuck in about 2ft of snow a few years back. had nothing to dig it out with but my hands. fml
    Jason
    Alligator Performance
    2004 WRX. No Kittys, Cobb AP
    2006 LBZ Duramax. 644hp

Great tips Scott! I may just have to pick some of these things up myself since we're supposed to have a heavier winter this year in the Northeast.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying