High HP but daily driver?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on High HP but daily driver? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just taking on poll on what yall think is the highest whp and/or crank hp, do you think you can ...

High HP but daily driver?

just taking on poll on what yall think is the highest whp and/or crank hp, do you think you can have a daily driver and keep it safe so you arent braking parts trans etc. remember just a poll and fun forum question. HF

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    350AWHP is where I would stop, personally. If I go beyond that, it's a track-only car... and a money pit.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

410 whp here but i dont dd it anymore. If i did i probably would have a little less power. I do drive it a couple times a week and take it on road trips to nh occasionally but i try to keep the miles down on the built motor for the most part.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bear in mind that "not breaking it" will have nearly as much to do with driving style as it does with how much hp you're putting out, if not more.

I'm pushing ~300ish whp on a conservative tune..it's plenty to have fun with, drivable, and hasn't blown up yet in 3 years.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If it has a well built engine/transmission/etc, then 600whp can be daily drivable. And as long as you take care of it it will be as reliable as you could expect. I know a guy that built his, drives it to work, drives it to the track, the only time he breaks stuff is when he's racing, and that's to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If it has a well built engine/transmission/etc, then 600whp can be daily drivable. And as long as you take care of it it will be as reliable as you could expect. I know a guy that built his, drives it to work, drives it to the track, the only time he breaks stuff is when he's racing, and that's to be expected.
    600whp would be a dog to drive around town with no low end grunt. clutch would probably be difficult in stop n go too

I have 330 whp and its great for driving around town.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Reliability at higher HP is directly proportional to the quality of components powering the machine. And that MUST be directly correlated to driving styles.

If you climb your way to high HP without ensuring that all systems are capable of handling the loads then DD or race car it will break.

I don't see why anyone with newer age WRX as a DD would go much beyond stage 2+. My car is quick as hell. Brakes and suspension upgrades make her more fun to drive. All my friends think I have a fast car and that keeps my "ego" happy.
    2012 WRX 5 door WRB

Protune, Cobb Airbox, Cobb DP, SPT Exhaust, Short throw, DBA 4000 slotted rotors, Hawk Racing Pads, Goodridge lines, Whiteline front and rear bars and endlinks.

I Support ClubWRX
    The further from stock you get, as a general rule, the less of a DD the vehicle becomes; both in reliability and overall drivability. It's very easy for the vehicle to become a money pit, with you investing thousands of dollars that you'll never get back.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdown
    I don't see why anyone with newer age WRX as a DD would go much beyond stage 2+. My car is quick as hell. Brakes and suspension upgrades make her more fun to drive. All my friends think I have a fast car and that keeps my "ego" happy.
    Because you get to the point where it feels slow, especially if your car is a DD. Other people would have a blast driving my car, but I've become adjusted to my car, so it's boring to me. Only reason I haven't gone further with the power mods is that I just haven't been willing to commit $10K for the next step.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: High HP but daily driver?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Because you get to the point where it feels slow, especially if your car is a DD. Other people would have a blast driving my car, but I've become adjusted to my car, so it's boring to me. Only reason I haven't gone further with the power mods is that I just haven't been willing to commit $10K for the next step.
    Drive anything from Toyota's product line or a riced out 1.8l Civic for a day =P

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    Drive anything from Toyota's product line or a riced out 1.8l Civic for a day =P
    I'd love to have an FR-S for a day.

Point taken, though. I drive the Ranger for a day or two, and my WRX feels like a Ferrari F12.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispsti View Post
    600whp would be a dog to drive around town with no low end grunt. clutch would probably be difficult in stop n go too

I dunno.. it's twin scroll, and the car seems to do fine driving around town. The Clutch Masters FX400 is a little stiff, but it's a smooth engaging clutch, not too grabby. I think just about any built Subaru is a PITA to drive in stop and go traffic. On my current tune I'm probably only making ~280whp, and my car HATES stop and go traffic. It's just not made to go below 20mph.

I think somewhere around the 330-360whp mark the car is no longer a "set it and forget it" type of transportation. Things will need adjusting, stuff breaks here and there. The 600whp STi I was referring to is having a busted axle swapped out today.. I don't consider that a mark against reliability though.

good responses just curious of what everyone thought, i def some people getting more in depth with it. i was leaning toward an avg driver. i was thinking about 330.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was thinking about taking my WRX to 10,000,000 awhp. Is that a good number for a DD?

Re: High HP but daily driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I was thinking about taking my WRX to 10,000,000 awhp. Is that a good number for a DD?
    10,000,000 is the borderline 10,000,002 hp is pushing it...

Posted from a fone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.