If you had $500 and a new 2013 WRX Wagon...radio upgrade? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on If you had 0 and a new 2013 WRX Wagon...radio upgrade? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I would really go HU first before anything else. The stock HU is such garbage and really ugly....

I would really go HU first before anything else. The stock HU is such garbage and really ugly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: If you had $500 and a new 2013 WRX Wagon...radio upgrade?

I doing husky liner floor mats, tint, rally armor flaps. But I'm more of a function kinda person
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by skidgel View Post
    I doing husky liner floor mats, tint, rally armor flaps. But I'm more of a function kinda person
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    For me, a passable audio system IS function.
    But that's just me...I come from a music-oriented family.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Also depends on how much time you spend in the car. I have an hour commute so for me the audio system needed an upgrade. I did get the Weather tech floor mats and also the got a Lathe Werks shift knob.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Just got my car back with the following:

1. Kenwood map (model KAD-1502S), mounted under the passenger seat. Yup, there's room! No screws except short ones into the carpet to keep it from sliding. And there's a ground bolt just there, perfect.

2. 10" JL subwoofer in enclosed box in the back, left side of hatch area. Easy portability was a need for me. I can easily unplug the wires and throw it in the house if I need to haul stuff. I did not want to lose the utility of having a hatch!

3. a JL Troy hi-level converter. The audio guy said that the stock radio is the worst he's ever seen. They had to do some trial and error before they discovered that the output of the stock unit is only about 5 watts. Once they figured that out, it was clear that they'd need the converter and that solved the issue. He said changing the head unit would mean probably changing all stock speakers, too, AND I'd lose the bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. That may end up being an option in the future.

4. Window tint. I did this kind of on impulse, telling myself that the black interior justified it. I'm so glad I did! Never dreamed it would be so aesthetically pleasing. It really makes the car look like a more polished creature.

Total cost, materials plus labor was $530 and they did a hell of a job. The sound is fantastic, really rounds it out and is very clean on the bass. The stock set up is pretty crisp on the high tones anyway, so this is enough for me, I think.

My only beef is something that folks here can maybe help me out on. I really like the ease of streaming audio via bluetooth. I keep my Iphone 4S in my purse...it connects and disconnects automatically, picking up and playing where I left off without me having to touch a freaking button. Love it. The audio guy says that this diminishes the sound quality tremendously and recommends using a aux wire. But when I plugged into the phone in, it just stopped playing. WTF? I have my old Ipod in there, too. It isn't like I'm lacking for music or anything.

I'd like opinions, please, on the level of sound quality via bluetooth and how do you listen to your fav tunes? Oh, and if anyone has a solution for making my Iphone play as it should when plugged into the AUX wire, I'd be appreciative.
    Last edited by Bedlam; 11-22-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: misspelling!

I have a similar set up, but I did change out the HU. Why would changing the HU mean changing the stock speakers? Mine sound fantastic, but I did read somewhere that the Limited trim has upgraded speakers? Don't know if that's true.

I don't notice a degradation in quality when streaming audio via bluetooth, I just jack the phone's volume all the way up and control the rest via the HU and it sounds great. I mainly use USB and bluetooth. I have 20Gb of music on my phone, a 16Gb flash drive, and I stream Pandora sometimes too.

So you're using the iPhone's headphone out jack into the phone in jack on the HU and it's not working?

Yup, that's it exactly. It streams just fine via Blutooth, but when I put the wire in the headphone jack, it automatically pauses the music and won't play. Just exactly like you hit the pause button, but it stays there even if you hit "play" again.

I don't know why that wouldn't work. These may be stupid questions, but is the HU set to AUX? Did you try a hard reset of the phone? Don't know why it would make a difference but maybe disable bluetooth?

Hopefully someone else can chime in because I have an Android phone and it works fine either way, I just have to switch sources on the HU.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would have bought Uggs.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Check this thread out

Hidden menu for 2011+ "premium" head unit? - NASIOC

The Radio is going to be one of the last things I change, suspension > Engine > Radio

Though right now, I really do not like the look of any after market headunit. I really want to keep the OEM look but fix the audio Quality. Turning off Loudness helped a bit. For the people that have stuff trying to fix the sound from the OEM headunit that thread is something you defiantly need to look at.
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

Holy cow! Secret menus?! I thought only BMW motorcycles did that. "To turn off ABS, hold left blinker down and lick right mirror while humming Beer Barrel Polka."

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    Yup, that's it exactly. It streams just fine via Blutooth, but when I put the wire in the headphone jack, it automatically pauses the music and won't play. Just exactly like you hit the pause button, but it stays there even if you hit "play" again.
    The problem is that you are using the headphone jack instead of the USB port, nothing needs to be plugged into the headphone jack to use your iPhone. I use the same USB cable that I charge my iPhone with and plug it into the USB port in my center console and I have full control over everything using the head unit and steering wheel controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    Just got my car back with the following:

1. Kenwood map (model KAD-1502S), mounted under the passenger seat. Yup, there's room! No screws except short ones into the carpet to keep it from sliding. And there's a ground bolt just there, perfect.

2. 10" JL subwoofer in enclosed box in the back, left side of hatch area. Easy portability was a need for me. I can easily unplug the wires and throw it in the house if I need to haul stuff. I did not want to lose the utility of having a hatch!

3. a JL Troy hi-level converter. The audio guy said that the stock radio is the worst he's ever seen. They had to do some trial and error before they discovered that the output of the stock unit is only about 5 watts. Once they figured that out, it was clear that they'd need the converter and that solved the issue. He said changing the head unit would mean probably changing all stock speakers, too, AND I'd lose the bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. That may end up being an option in the future.

4. Window tint. I did this kind of on impulse, telling myself that the black interior justified it. I'm so glad I did! Never dreamed it would be so aesthetically pleasing. It really makes the car look like a more polished creature.

Total cost, materials plus labor was $530 and they did a hell of a job. The sound is fantastic, really rounds it out and is very clean on the bass. The stock set up is pretty crisp on the high tones anyway, so this is enough for me, I think.

My only beef is something that folks here can maybe help me out on. I really like the ease of streaming audio via bluetooth. I keep my Iphone 4S in my purse...it connects and disconnects automatically, picking up and playing where I left off without me having to touch a freaking button. Love it. The audio guy says that this diminishes the sound quality tremendously and recommends using a aux wire. But when I plugged into the phone in, it just stopped playing. WTF? I have my old Ipod in there, too. It isn't like I'm lacking for music or anything.

I'd like opinions, please, on the level of sound quality via bluetooth and how do you listen to your fav tunes? Oh, and if anyone has a solution for making my Iphone play as it should when plugged into the AUX wire, I'd be appreciative.
    With this setup do you retain steering wheel control functionality?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd heard that a good place to start with the stereo was to upgrade the subwoofer. I've got a Kicker under seat sub ready to go in next week, after my car finally arrives. I'm not able to give up one inch of cargo space in the hatch because I fairly frequently have to tote a drum kit around.

Does anyone know if the USB link will control a droid phone? Or will it simply supply power?

If the signal that is sent to speakers/subwoofers is weak and crappy, speakers and subwoofers are just going to amplify crappy signals. Head unit is the weakest link.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast