Ramifications of driving brand new car on couple hundred mile drive?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ramifications of driving brand new car on couple hundred mile drive? within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've heard that the WRX needs to be coddled for the first thousand miles. I found one a couple states ...

Ramifications of driving brand new car on couple hundred mile drive?

I've heard that the WRX needs to be coddled for the first thousand miles. I found one a couple states away that matches what I've been looking for, but I don't want to screw the car up on the first day I get it. It would cost $700 to have it delivered. What would you guys recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You can drive it normally, just vary the speed a little and try not to go over 4000 rpms too often. Other than that you're fine.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Don't get hung up on this break in stuff. Your engine turns thousands of rpms. Just drive sensibly and don't race it around for a few thousand miles. Enjoy your car.

I agree with what's already been said. It would be a huge engineering failure to have a car sustain a failure over using the vehicle for its intended purpose.

Used and abused is a different story.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go for it. I'll be gentle, I swear.

I drove to Virginia to get mine on Thursday. 500 mile drive from Cincinnati, and she's still doing fine!

just vary your speeds. i always get a big kick out of all this break in stuff. i have owned more new cars, trucks and motorcycles than it seems is the average age of a nasioc forum member. i drive hard and with a heavy foot from day one with all of my vehicles. i've never had problem with a single vehicle that could be related to break in period. my father bought a new Carrera S a few months ago. he was asking the salesman (has sold porsches for decades) about the break in period. he said run the crap out it and don't use the cruise control for about 1k.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    You can drive it normally, just vary the speed a little and try not to go over 4000 rpms too often. Other than that you're fine.
    ^^this, make the trip and enjoy your newwwwwww car

When they say vary the speed, they mean engine speed. You can do this by just changing gear every couple of minutes between 4th and 5th and back again while tooling down the interstate.

yes, or just accelerating or decelerating in the same gear to a higher lower speed changes the rpm. no need to change gears.

You will definitely cause long-term issues and will likely cause your motor to blow up during or shortly after the drive. Don't do it!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Find a light near by and stalk it... race the first chance you get. It's not broken in until you win your first race. It's in the manual i read it.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Broke my 2011 wrx 4 door in in the smokey mountains for a weekend driving as hard as possible, that was a year ago, and still no ramifications related to that.

hmmm, I've rebuilt motors, run them for 15-20 minutes to make sure everything is ok, then tune on a dyno under full power to redline. Just get out and drive it, you'll be fine

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.