Deer VS My STI - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Deer VS My STI within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'll give you 50 bucks for the car....

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'll give you 50 bucks for the car.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

deal!
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Ugh. That sucks all round. Sorry about your car. But I'm also sorry for the deer who probably hobbled off to die alone somewhere.
    plenty more to take its place, Im sure it did not live long. Not that I like any animal to suffer but I was not feeling to fond of this one in particular. It cut into my new LED TV funds to repair the car.

Re: Deer VS My STI

Ehhh there are 1000s of tvs produced everyday man. We're sorry to hear about your car but the stupid deer lost it's life =/ I would have eaten it so it's lost would not have gone to waste.

Not trying to bash you or anything. Hope the insurance don't take their sweet ass time.

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    #wondering to myself if vehicular tenderizing of meat changes the flavor and or texture of the cooked food
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

plenty of deer produced every day too. No deer is good after its been hit by a car. Maybe some good meat left on it but probaly not enough to bother with. Besides, how would I even get it anywhere? Ever try hauling a deer with a WRX/STI Sedan...yeah not the best option.

I Support ClubWRX
    Bummer. I've mostly only gotten them head on, but not in the Subaru. A buddy had both sides of his van caved in from deer jumping into the side of it within a month in Montana.

Someone probably looked for it if you reported it. You can't just sling it on your car and call it good - in most places the warden will have a field day with you for that.

So what did the butt swing into the door - that part is weird.

I've been thinking as I reflect on what I see in the road (and have unfortunately destroyed myself) that animals that tend to spend a lot of time going fast don't have any trouble perceiving the dangers of a car. I've taken out a few birds (worst being a pygmy owl that attacked my brakes for squeaking like a troubled mouse), but take a crow for example - they know to get the hell out of there at just the right time. They are smarter than a dog. Then you have a opossum - faster than you would expect when you turn them loose from a live trap, but that is atypical and so they don't even begin to recognize the time frame they have to exist on the middle of a road.

The one I'll never forget was an elk along the Selway river in ID - it appeared in front of me way to late to stop, and then just disappeared at the last possible moment.
    Last edited by mycologist; 10-25-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The cop that responded looked for it after all the paperwork stuff was done but that's right when I was leaving. If it wondered off into the orchard or woods then it was coyote food anyway. I'm pretty sure it spun around and its ass end hit both doors, its dented by my handle and caved in the rear door. Its head hit the windshield and I think it just slide down the side from there. Either that or a second one ran into the rear door and I never was aware of it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    The cop that responded looked for it after all the paperwork stuff was done but that's right when I was leaving. If it wondered off into the orchard or woods then it was coyote food anyway. I'm pretty sure it spun around and its ass end hit both doors, its dented by my handle and caved in the rear door. Its head hit the windshield and I think it just slide down the side from there. Either that or a second one ran into the rear door and I never was aware of it.
    That is all you can do. Deer are overpopulated in many places due to the lack of predators. The hybrid yote's are making up for that in some areas though, and can take a full sized buck as a pack. There are videos and night camera stills.

There is a good coyote population here in Maine but they are hunted just as hard as the deer are and the coyote's alone cannot curb the deer population. This is a state that is heavy into hunting and I would not call the population in most areas here over populated but we have a very robust abundant deer population. Its only one deer so I dont feel all that bad about it and I'm not against hunting for this very reason. One second sooner and it would have been going over the hood and through my windshield and killing me or my friend. Still a much better death then starving to death during the winter or being eaten alive by coyotes.

goodluck with your car! hopefully it gets taken care of quick

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That is all you can do. Deer are overpopulated in many places due to the lack of predators. The hybrid yote's are making up for that in some areas though, and can take a full sized buck as a pack. There are videos and night camera stills.
    Straying from topic...but while running in Denver a while back, I came across 2 coyote on a trail. They were huge, compared to our eastern variety, and had no fear of me at all. Small dogs in that town need to stay alert.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Its been rumored for a long time that there are wolves here in Maine. My grandfather fully believes it and said he has seen them. I believe there are some here considering how the northern/northwest part of the state is up against canada. Still to far for them to make an impact on the deer population down in the central/southern part of the state.

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Freakin deers...I hate them so much.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Straying from topic...but while running in Denver a while back, I came across 2 coyote on a trail. They were huge, compared to our eastern variety, and had no fear of me at all. Small dogs in that town need to stay alert.
    Could easily have been hybrids - they are established in the east coast now too.

"But other East Coast hybrids seen alive or identified by their remains are noticeably larger, with more wolf-like skulls, jaws, and teeth, Bozarth noted. (See pictures of new hybrid species appearing in the warming Arctic.)

Given this, coyote-wolf hybrids "should be able to do things like take down deer, which a little, scrappy Great Plains wily coyote would not be able to do on its own," Bozarth said.

Indeed, the research highights "just how successful and adapted these hybrids are to the eastern forests," said Roland Kays, curator of mammals at the New York State Museum in Albany.

For instance, Kays's research on the previously known eastern hybrids has shown that a third of their diet is deer—a much higher proportion than in western states."

Coyote-Wolf Hybrids Have Spread Across U.S. East

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast