WRX Gas Octane Preference... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX Gas Octane Preference... within the Everyday Impreza Talk forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Yeah, that's 96%+ of the stations here in CA too. I don't know about you man, but I'll drive around ...

Re: WRX Gas Octane Preference...

Yeah, that's 96%+ of the stations here in CA too.
    I don't know about you man, but I'll drive around all the pumps looking for the last pump that used premium. It said that those hoses carry up to a quart of the last grade used.
    And most people here use regular.... eff that man.

Posted from a fone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    10 gal = 40 qt

1qt / 40 qt = 2.5%

87*.025 + 93*.975 = 92.85

I'm not going to sweat a 0.15 octane hit.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Actually when I have a full take, its hammer time. To keep myself in check I get 5 gallons at a time so:
    1qt / 40 = 5%
    87*.05 + 91*.95 = 90.8
    We only have 91, MAX.

But overall, I guess you're right. Not gonna waste my time looking like an idiot going to every pump.
    I've started to self tune. I'm making my stage 1 even more conservative =/

I Support ClubWRX

WRX Gas Octane Preference...

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan View Post
    And most people here use regular.... eff that man.
    In WRXs, or generally? If regular is what the car is engineered for, then that's the best choice.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX

WRX Gas Octane Preference...

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    10 gal = 40 qt
    1qt / 40 qt = 2.5%
    87*.025 + 93*.975 = 92.85
    I'm not going to sweat a 0.15 octane hit.
    This. Some things aren't worth the sweat.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Well like a dummy I accidentally started filling my tank with regular and got 7 gallons before I realized it, had a holy crap moment, and filled the rest up with 91 premium. Hopefully this doesn't cause any damage Derp
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Maybe you should add some octane booster haha

Most threads I've found on here say octane booster is useless. They also say to stay out of boost, but I floored it for probably 2-3 seconds on the highway, so now I'm freaking out that I damaged my new baby. Hoping I'm being paranoid. I didn't hear any ping/knock.

Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

I Support ClubWRX
    Octane booster is worthless.

You will be fine. Read the manual; it's explained there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I did read the manual and I know bit says 87 is temporarily o.k.. I was more concerned about the quick flooring on the highway as people here are saying it's ok only if you stay out of boost.

I Support ClubWRX
    The ECU can retard timing -- though up to a point. I'd be interested to see a low octane full throttle log though, you're right. I'd just drive normally and not worry meanwhile.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hi, new member here, was wondering if higher Octane has caused any problems with overheating, I have the oppotunity to purchase 104 unleaded, however, I want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issues with my 2012 STI. I have never tried to fill it up with anything higher than 93.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicdrumm80 View Post
    Hi, new member here, was wondering if higher Octane has caused any problems with overheating, I have the oppotunity to purchase 104 unleaded, however, I want to make sure I'm not going to cause any issues with my 2012 STI. I have never tried to fill it up with anything higher than 93.
    No, 104 won't cause the car to overheat. It will also do absolutely nothing for you unless you are tuned for it. Don't waste your money.

The only connection I could think of between fuel and heat would have a lot more to do with tuning. If you were tuned for 104 you would likely be running a lot more boost and seeing higher EGT temps. 104 by it self won't do anything bad to your car, just your wallet.

I put 85oct in my car.

So cheep. Much savings. All MPGs. No performance. Many knock. Amaze cost.
    Last edited by xFalleNx; 11-13-2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added more doge references....
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    ALL THE OCTANES!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.